Windows 10: Sequence of desktop windows

Discus and support Sequence of desktop windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently used the win7 to win10 update program. Went well with no problems. However I am confused on what is shown on the screen. When I boot up an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Don Jacobs, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Sequence of desktop windows

I recently used the win7 to win10 update program. Went well with no problems. However I am confused on what is shown on the screen. When I boot up an old style Windows 7 desk top appears with all the icons and sort cuts and the task bar has an "Ask me anything" entry box. If I tap the start button in the lower left corner I get a window with "tiles" and on the left side is a "hamburger", power and a icon to show apps available. If I click on the "hamburger I get recently used program list and some items I specified be shown like file explorer, some folder, and a settings icon.

Is this normal that the first screen displayed looks like the old desktop and not the new style? Can I get immediately to the new style window on booting up?

Thanks for any answers to this question.

:)

Don Jacobs, Aug 8, 2016

2. unable to enter bios to change boot sequence after upgrade to windows 10

after upgrading my friends desktop form windows 7 to windows 10 I am unable to enter the bios to change boot sequence. I have been told that this is a security feature but how can you change boot sequence when required.

bill_white45, Aug 8, 2016
  3. --dash Win User
    Lock Icon Sequence in a Toolbar

That info is useless for a toolbar set of icons Auto align re-sequences
    desktop icons only. It re-arranges the icons in an indeterminate sequence. That makes it difficult to quickly locate an icon one needs.
    I want to keep the system from arbitrarily re-sequencing toolbar icons.

--dash, Aug 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Sequence of desktop windows

Hi, what do you expect the 'new style' desktop to look like? I don't know of one. Are you thinking of Win 8 perhaps? After a lot of flack, MS reverted to prioritising the desktop again in 8.1.

You'll find the Win 10 start menu a big disappointment coming from Win 7. Try Classic Shell (free).
    Or one of the other replacements if you want tiles on your start menu - but don't expect the freedom to manipulate things in the start menu you're used to. (Classic Shell offers that).

If you're using a tablet there is 'tablet mode' - I can't tell as your specs are virtually empty.

dalchina, Aug 9, 2016
  5. That sounds normal to me Don. I too do not understand what you mean by new style desktop.
    The Start menu has changed from Win7 to Win8, and to Win10, but the Desktop hasn't really changed all that much.

Did you mean that you want to go directly to the Start Menu? (most people on Desktops/Laptops prefer going to the Desktop)
    If you post a screen shot of what you see and what you expect to see (full screen Start menu ???), ... that would help
    Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

Take a look through this tutorial section: Windows 10 Tutorials

Slartybart, Aug 9, 2016
  6. I think you are telling me that what I get is normal. When I boot up I see a screen "similar" to what I got with Win7. If I press the start button I get the full screen start menu. I I press the hamburger icon I get a divided screen with tiles on the right and "information" on the left.

Thanks for the information.

Don Jacobs, Aug 11, 2016
  7. You're welcome Don.

Just a note: You can set Start to be full screen (or not) in
    Settings > Personalize > Start
    Use Start full screen
    (slider on or off)
    If that doesn't change Start from full screen, then dalchina is on the right track - tablet mode

It's really a personal choice on how the start screen is presented, although you might not have all of the choices on different devices (phones / tablets)

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Sequence of desktop windows

1. Sequence of desktop windows - Similar Threads - Sequence desktop

2. Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence: MS release monthly security updates, do I need to install allall previous months or just the latest one will do?assuming i got my laptop in Feb 2024, what is the correct sequence to install those monthly updatesoffline, from update catalog.?...
  3. Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence: MS release monthly security updates, do I need to install allall previous months or just the latest one will do?assuming i got my laptop in Feb 2024, what is the correct sequence to install those monthly updatesoffline, from update catalog.?...
  4. Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. error 1962 no operating system found. boot sequence will automatically repeat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    error 1962 no operating system found. boot sequence will automatically repeat: Al encender la PC me salió ese error, presiono cualquier tecla y vuelve a salir, probé iniciar desde un USB de arranque y queda la pantalla negra con puntos de colores, probé cambiando configuración de arranque en la bios y sigue igual ya no se que hacer....
  6. error 1962 no operating system found. boot sequence will automatically repeat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    error 1962 no operating system found. boot sequence will automatically repeat: Al encender la PC me salió ese error, presiono cualquier tecla y vuelve a salir, probé iniciar desde un USB de arranque y queda la pantalla negra con puntos de colores, probé cambiando configuración de arranque en la bios y sigue igual ya no se que hacer....
  7. error 1962 no operating system found. boot sequence will automatically repeat

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD: I was cloning my HDD to my SSD. Now before cloning I disabled BitLocker and then clone the drive. After cloning was completed, I change the boot sequence to boot from HDD to the SSD. However bitlocker prompt kicked in asking my to enter the password. And I entered the...
  9. Question: Images on my desktop not going in sequence but in a folder it does

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question: Images on my desktop not going in sequence but in a folder it does: Hello, I save most of my images on my desktop and review them on my desktop once a while i clear them and sort them into folders but when they are on my desktop and I open them and if I go to the next or previous image it goes randomly and doesn't follow the order, but if i...
  10. Build 18945 Desktop out of sequence

in Windows 10 Customization
    Build 18945 Desktop out of sequence: My desktop is out of order. I have a blank in the last row. I sort by name twice and then desktop is in order. When I turn off computer and them turn it back on, there is still a blank and I have to sort by name twice again. This has happened in the last few builds. Any help...