Windows 10: Serious Issue: How to know if a website is safe?

Discus and support Serious Issue: How to know if a website is safe? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Thanks! What do you mean by this?: Virustotal has a separate process for evaluating the safety of a WEBSITE (URL) vs. evaluating the safety of a... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by NiceAndShy, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Serious Issue: How to know if a website is safe?

Virustotal has a separate process for evaluating the safety of a WEBSITE (URL) vs. evaluating the safety of a FILE.
    I submitted only the URL for the website you posted. The analysis of the URL suggests that the site itself is clean.
    That does not mean that the software itself that you might download from that site is safe.

I did not download, extract or submit for analysis the Prime95 software file itself.
    In order to evaluate the file, you would need to download the zip @simrick provided the link to do that), then extract the executable file, and then analyze it by one or more of several different means before you run it/install it: comparing the file hashes, submitting the file to VT, scanning with your AV, etc.

Please re-read @simrick's replies for advice.

IOW = In Other Words.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Sep 13, 2016

2. Thank you very much for your help!!!

So the best way for me to be safe is to download the .ZIP file then extract it then upload the .EXE installer file to VT?

NiceAndShy, Sep 13, 2016
  3. Steve C Win User
    A general tip - you can use the Chrome plugin WOT to check web site security. Always virus check any file you down load. Some antivirus programs have useful features. I use Kaspersky anti virus which has URL Advisor and you can use the Kaspersky Application Advisor to check the file hash and reported reliability of that file.

Steve C, Sep 13, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Serious Issue: How to know if a website is safe?

Hi.
    I can't think of any way to verify the file is clean *before* you download it. Once it's been downloaded to your machine, you should scan the zip file with your anti-virus (Defender or whatever you're using) and also Malwarebytes Antimalware (free). I would scan *before* you unzip, to be safe. If there is anything malicious in the zip file, it should be identified as soon as the scan accesses the file.

If you've never run Prime95 before, and are looking to investigate overclocking on your system, I would suggest starting a thread here, and get some help from the experts:
    PC Custom Builds and Overclocking - Windows 10 Forums
    It can be a touchy thing, and you can totally bork your system if you don't know what you're doing. *Wink

simrick, Sep 13, 2016
  5. Samuria Win User
    Setting your end to open DNS can help as it block's dodgy sites and it faster than your normal DNS

Samuria, Sep 13, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    simrick, Sep 16, 2016
  7. Serious Issue: How to know if a website is safe?

Thanks, but I posted that link to show further evidence that it must be safe since it was directly linked to from "tenforums.com".

NiceAndShy, Sep 16, 2016
  8. simrick Win User
    Oh right. But I thought we already determined that? *Wink

simrick, Sep 16, 2016
  9. bestellen Win User
    You can use the Chrome plugin WOT to check web site security. Always virus check any file you down load.

bestellen, Sep 16, 2016
  10. Hi:

I think the consensus is that Prime95 is safe to download and install, from a security/malware standpoint.
    The point that @simrick and others (including myself) have tried to make is that the program is designed primarily for use by those wishing to overclock their systems.
    Overclocking, as pointed out already, can completely ruin a system if not done properly.

So, the fundamental question is: WHY do you want to use Prime95?
    If it is to overclock your system then, as @simrick has suggested, it might be advisable to seek guidance from experts in the special forum area dedicated to that undertaking:

PC Custom Builds and Overclocking - Windows 10 Forums

That is all.*Smile

Good luck!
    MM

MoxieMomma, Sep 16, 2016
  11. NiceAndShy, Sep 28, 2016
  12. simrick Win User

That is the correct site.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Serious Issue: How to know if a website is safe? - Similar Threads - Serious Issue website

2. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Serious Issue: Hi,I was trying to reset my PC yesterday but it got stuck at 39% for over 2 hours, then the power got cutted off. After I re-charged my PC, it showed me option to choose operating system for 2 times and later it restarted and got stucked in blinking page. Now it just turns on...
  3. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Serious Issue: Hi,I was trying to reset my PC yesterday but it got stuck at 39% for over 2 hours, then the power got cutted off. After I re-charged my PC, it showed me option to choose operating system for 2 times and later it restarted and got stucked in blinking page. Now it just turns on...
  4. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Serious performance issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Serious performance issues: Hey all. I need some help fixing some major performance issues. I'm running the 1909 version of windows and before the KB....799 update my laptop was running just fine but after it downloaded I couldn't run anything. I play guitar through programs on my laptop and they...
  6. Is file.net a safe website?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is file.net a safe website?: https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=file.net If you look at the comments it says that it downloads something on your pc? One engine detected this website https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/65aa84f0ea1fea2eeb99a5f80cca3896ece2bfb6d7eaf08f0763b9963411d790/detection...
  7. Is Restoro a safe website?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is Restoro a safe website?: I keep getting a message that Restoro will fix problems with my Windows program - is this a legitimate Microsoft website? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-restoro-a-safe-website/33a40afd-74ed-4e9d-b57e-201e65cda0ad
  8. Is The Website Upucuzza safe?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is The Website Upucuzza safe?: So I am using win 10 Pro so hopefully this post won't get nuked and will get the most eyeballs on it posting in General Support. Someone posted a link to Bitdefender software that came up in one of my posts The new Ransomware Remediation feature in Bitdefender 2019 and...
  9. Serious USB issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Serious USB issue: Okay, i have this sims gaming headphonehttps://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-S.../dp/B00LIW8I2Q the problem is my computer detects this headphone only once if i unplug and replug it shows me "usb device not recognized " and i have tried all solutions posted online but it just...
  10. How to know if my PC is safe ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to know if my PC is safe ?: How to know if my PC is currently safe and don't have anyone trying to steal data / files from my computer? I have a No.1 enemy that we hate each other so much, and he is a game programmer, I don't know how deep his knowledge is, what I can do is to look for ways to protect...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is restoro safe