Windows 10: Set Up External Storage on Xbox One

Discus and support Set Up External Storage on Xbox One in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Up External Storage on Xbox One How to Set Up External Storage for Xbox One [img] Information The Xbox One is equipped with a 500... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Set Up External Storage on Xbox One

How to: Set Up External Storage on Xbox One

How to Set Up External Storage for Xbox One

Set Up External Storage on Xbox One [​IMG]
    Information The Xbox One is equipped with a 500 GB or 1 TB internal hard drive depending on which console you purchased. Most of this space is available for storing games and apps, though some is reserved for saved games, console software, and other important system functions.

A triple-A game on Xbox One can use around 20 GB and 40 GB of storage space on a drive. Installing a lot of games can quickly use up the internal drive space of your Xbox One.

If you connect an external storage drive to your Xbox One for more storage space, you will be able to either use the external drive as media storage for pictures, music, and video, or set up the external drive to store games and apps on.

This tutorial will show you how to set up external storage for your Xbox One to store games and apps on.

Note You can connect up to three external storage devices to Xbox One, but you can only connect one external storage device per USB 3.0 port on Xbox One.

The basic requirements for storing games and apps on an external drive are:
    • Has capacity of 256 GB or more
    • Uses USB 3.0
    Devices that don’t meet these requirements will be treated as media storage, such as for pictures, music, and video. If you have a storage device that does meet these requirements for game and app storage, you can cancel the format to use it as a media device.

Here's How:

1. Connect your external USB 3.0 drive to one of the USB 3.0 ports on the Xbox One, and plug in the AC power for the external drive if applicable. (see screenshots below)

Note I'm using a 6 TB WD My Book (WDBFJK0060HBK) external drive to connect and set up on my Xbox One to store more games and apps on.

2. Do step 3 or step 4 below for how you want to set up the external drive on Xbox One.

3. When you connect a compatible external storage drive, Xbox One will prompt you to format the drive.
    A) Go to step 5 below.

4. If you cancel the format when you connect the storage device, you can still manually set it up as a storage device.
    A) Scroll left from the Home screen to open the guide, select Settings, and select All settings. (see screenshot below)

B) Select System on the left, and select Storage. (see screenshot below)

C) Select the external storage device you connected from step 1. (see screenshot below)

D) Select Format for games & apps, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Select Format storage device. (see screenshot below)

6. Enter a name (ex: "External USB") you want for the external storage device. (see screenshot below)

7. Select Install new things here. (see screenshot below)

8. Select Format storage device. (see screenshot below)

9. When finished formatting, your external storage drive will now be ready to copy, move, and install games and apps on. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 13, 2017

2. Xbox Live Gold isnt activating (Xbox One)

Hi,

To resolve your concern, you can follow the steps on the suggested methods below:

Method 1. Power cycle your Xbox One console.

You can reset, perform a full power cycle, or physically disconnect your Xbox One console to reboot it completely and fix many common issues. This process does not erase any of your games or data.

Here are the steps: 

• Turn off the Xbox One console by pressing the Xbox button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds until it shuts
      down completely. 

• Unplug the console's power cable. Wait 10 seconds. Be sure to wait 10 seconds. This step resets the power supply.

• Plug the console power cable back in.

• Press the Xbox button on your console to turn on the Xbox One.  

Method 2. Clear the storage cache on the console.

Here are the steps: 

• Press the menu key on the controller.  

• Go to Settings, and then select Disc & Blu-Ray.  

• In the Blu-Ray section select Persistent Storage.  

• Select Clear persistent storage.

Method 3. Clear Mac address.

• Here are the steps: 

• Scroll left on the Home screen to open the guide.  

• Select Settings.  

• Select All Settings.  

• Select Network.  

• Select Network settings.  

• Select Advance settings.  

• Select Alternate MAC address.  

• Select Clear.

If you are still experiencing the same issue after following the given steps above, we recommend that you remove and add your profile back on Xbox One to refresh it. You can follow the steps on this

link

Let us know how it goes.

Loraine Mon, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Unable to purchase Xbox Live Gold

To resolve your concern, you can follow the steps on the suggested methods below:

You can reset, perform a full power cycle, or physically disconnect your Xbox One console to reboot it completely and fix many common issues. This process does not erase any of your games or data.

Here are the steps:

• Turn off the Xbox One console by pressing the Xbox button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds until it shuts down completely.

• Unplug the console's power cable. Wait 10 seconds. Be sure to wait 10 seconds. This step resets the power supply.

Here are the steps:

• Press the menu key on the controller.

• Go to Settings, and then select Disc & Blu-Ray.

• In the Blu-Ray section select Persistent Storage.

• Select Clear persistent storage.

• Here are the steps:

• Select Settings.

• Select All Settings.

• Select Network.

• Select Network settings.

• Select Advance settings.

• Select Alternate MAC address.

• Select Clear.

Method 4. Run the Network Connection Test on your console.

• Scroll left from Home to open the guide.
    • Select Settings.
    • Select All Settings.
    • Select Network.
    • Select Network settings. Any known outages will appear in the middle of the screen.
    • On the right side of the Network settings screen, select Test network connection.

If the connection test is successful, try to purchase the membership or subscribe to Xbox Live again.

Let us know how it goes.

4. Dude Win User

5. Ariel Acu Win User
    Xbox one / Microsoft store

Hi Chad2435,

If you're connected to Xbox Live, then you should normally be able to access the Microsoft Store on your Xbox One. Let's try to isolate the issue by performing the following solutions below:

Solution 1: Power cycle your Xbox One console.

• Turn off the Xbox One console by pressing the Xbox button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds until it shuts down completely. 

Solution 2: Clear the storage cache on the console.

Solution 3: Clear MAC address on your Xbox One to refresh network setting.

• Select Settings.  
    • Select All Settings.  
    • Select Network.  
    • Select Advanced settings.  
    • Select Clear.

Keep us updated with the results after performing the suggested solutions above.

Ariel Acu, Oct 26, 2019
  6. XBOX One Dashboard Auto-Scrolling to Right

Hi Jaime,

To properly isolate your concern, please provide us more details about the issue with the following information:

• When did the issue start?
    • Is there a Kinect connected to the console?
    • Does the issue occur even if your controllers are turned off?

You can also follow the suggested methods below to resolve your concern:

Here are the steps: 

Here are the steps: 

• Here are the steps: 
    • Select Settings.  
    • Select All Settings.  
    • Select Network.  
    • Select Advance settings.  
    • Select Clear.

Let us know how it goes.

Thema:

1. Set Up External Storage on Xbox One - Similar Threads - Set External Storage

2. external storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external storage: I have an ebook connected via usb but when I try to back up files to it I can't find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-storage/05d593e9-1751-430f-b8ea-5f508bc15fe2
  3. external storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external storage: I have an ebook connected via usb but when I try to back up files to it I can't find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-storage/05d593e9-1751-430f-b8ea-5f508bc15fe2
  4. external storage

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. External storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External storage: Connected an external storage device but no wav files are being shown for my music media. Drive is being recognised but no files found. Help?***Moved from Gaming and Xbox/Hardware and network/Xbox on Windows***...
  6. Storage Sense and One Drive Settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Sense and One Drive Settings: I saw a full size setting similar size to storage window recently that provided an option to have storage sense and or one drive set the minimum unused space on the drive. The options were 15%, 20% and 25% to be left unused.I have hunted on the laptop and extensively on the...
  7. Storage Sense and One Drive Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Sense and One Drive Settings: I saw a full size setting similar size to storage window recently that provided an option to have storage sense and or one drive set the minimum unused space on the drive. The options were 15%, 20% and 25% to be left unused.I have hunted on the laptop and extensively on the...
  8. Storage Sense and One Drive Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Setting up Windows 10 Storage Settings

Setting up Windows 10 Storage Settings: I've been a Mac user ever since I can remember, but my fiance and I just got a new Alienware system and have Windows 10 installed. We have a terabyte of storage space on a "Data D:" drive, but for some reason, we can only get things to save into the 300 GB "OS C:" drive. I've...
  10. Second SSD doesn't show up in storage settings or Xbox beta app

Second SSD doesn't show up in storage settings or Xbox beta app: I have a second SSD D: that I use to store my games and other programs, the file manager recognizes it, disk management recognizes it, as well as my game launchers Steam, Battle.net, Epic, etc. However the Xbox beta app doesn't show any option other than C: for installations....