Windows 10: Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

Discus and support Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; You can update it in gpedit.msc also I think No Windows Updates over Mobile Broadband! - Windows 10 Forums Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by werty, Jan 24, 2015.

1. lx07 Win User

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

2. Donald D Win User

netsh wbn show profiles (needs to change to) netsh mbn show profiles

right?

Donald D, Dec 19, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Donald. That's correct. Thank you. *Smile

Brink, Dec 19, 2015
  4. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

Good tutorial!

I am not sure what it is that Windows does to help you to reduce the amount of data you send and receive? I am charged extra for anything over a fixed monthly maximum.

Also I don't see how this would work if you have several computers/users accessing the Internet from the same modem.

Ak

alkaufmann, Dec 20, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ak,

You can set each computer to be a metered connection to stop all the automatic downloads on them.

Unfortunately, it's still up to you to monitor the data usage to make sure you don't go over with all the computers. *Sad

Brink, Dec 20, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Dec 29, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you Rich. *Smile

I will look into doing a separate tutorial for Ethernet. I want to do some testing with it first.

Brink, Dec 29, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 29, 2015
  9. tracit99 Win User
    I noticed that the Network & Internet panel in Settings has changed. (I am using 14291) Several settings location have changed here. I always set my WiFi as metered and this setting is now found here: Settings>Network & Internet>Manage known networks>(Left click your network)>Properties>Set as metered connection. As a side note, this setting seems to be ignored by Windows Update in this build. I am not seeing a Download button any more. If updates are found they begin downloading immediately.

tracit99, Mar 25, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you tracit99. The tutorial has now been updated. *Smile

Brink, Mar 25, 2016
  11. netdragon Win User
    Windows 10 Pro doesn't have the option described here. It's Home-only. Not sure why.
    Code: netsh wlan show profiles netsh wlan set profileparameter name="network_ssid_here" cost=Fixed[/quote] This (OPTION TWO) is the only way to do it on Windows 10 Pro. And maybe gpedit.msc but haven't tried that.

netdragon, Mar 25, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 25, 2016
  13. netdragon Win User

version 1511 (Build 10586.164)

Screenshot of wi-fi settings (some lines were obscured for privacy)

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 [​IMG]

netdragon, Mar 25, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    netdragon,

Do you have an "Advanced options" link at step 7A instead to click on?

Brink, Mar 26, 2016
  15. netdragon Win User
    Yes, there's advanced options, which looks like it lets you set the current connection to "metered" but not any others. I guess that's another way to do it. For me, I doubt I'll remember to set it to metered next time I'm on it, so using the command line seemed like a better choice, at least for me personally. Additionally, it is the approach that most closely matches using the GUI on Windows 10 home.

netdragon, Mar 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Wireless Network

2. Metered network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Metered network: I have a server that is connected to the network switch. Switch is not connected to the internet, somehow I keep getting message under network status " You're connected to the Internet" You're on metered network. Some apps might work differently to help you save data while on...
  3. Metered network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Metered network: I have a server that is connected to the network switch. Switch is not connected to the internet, somehow I keep getting message under network status " You're connected to the Internet" You're on metered network. Some apps might work differently to help you save data while on...
  4. Metered network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Metered Network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Metered Network: I keep getting a message that says: You are on a metered network etc. What does that mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-network/a6672604-e8fc-4b63-8d13-4cb7d94d4895
  6. VPN's and metered networks Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    VPN's and metered networks Windows 10: Hello, I have Windows 10 and have been told that creating a VPN is recommended. I'm pretty new to trying to do this stuff myself so please forgive my ignorance. I was wondering what kind of VPN to use, there's a setting for automatic, and I was planning to use...
  7. Convert Network to non-metered

Convert Network to non-metered: Convert metered Network to non-metered https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-network-to-non-metered/3094623a-bd33-4b9c-a7d0-03d4f5e90d38
  8. metered network?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    metered network?: help! This is a headache! What does this PC is on metered network mean? One drive sync is paused to prevent data charges? That to do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/metered-network/594456d5-4b5e-4e04-8972-7371beb3678f
  9. Windows Update on (non-)metered connection.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update on (non-)metered connection.: Hi, I'm currently installing a computer for someone who basically uses it to pay bills and read emails. They connect to internet with an USB dongle that connects to 4G network. It is a non-metered subscription and I've changed that connection from the Windows Settings to...
  10. How to set a connection as non-metered?

How to set a connection as non-metered?: Hi, I have installed the latest build of Windows 10 and I am using a Huawei modem E173 to connect to internet. The problem is that the connection is set as metered and I cant install any updates and also the connection drops frequently. How to solve these problems? Thanks,...