Windows 10: setting NumLock ON at startup in Windows 10

Discus and support setting NumLock ON at startup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a follow-up. I found the post which shows how to put an entry in the registry to turn on NumLock at startup on my new Windows 10 laptop, as for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by leathrpaws, Oct 2, 2016.

1. setting NumLock ON at startup in Windows 10

This is a follow-up. I found the post which shows how to put an entry in the registry to turn on NumLock at startup on my new Windows 10 laptop, as for some reason, after the last downloaded update, it didn't work when trying to enter my PIN. I followed instructions for making the changes, restarted my laptop, and it worked fine... ONLY ONCE! The next time I shut down/restarted, the number pad didn't work. I had to use the numbers on the top row of the keyboard to enter my PIN at login. SOOO, I reinstalled the registry fix. Still doesn't work at the point where I enter my PIN, the number pad won't function until several minutes after I have gotten logged in. Any ideas?

:)

leathrpaws, Oct 2, 2016

2. How to keep Num Lock from constantly turning off?

Hi,

Some maker's control the numlock in the BIOS which loads before Windows.

Check these which should work in Windows 10.

Enable NumLock at Windows 8 Startup

http://www.techcular.com/enable-numlock-at-windows-8-startup/

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Oct 2, 2016
  3. JimWynne Win User
    How to Enable Num Lock on Boot Up in Windows 10

This is a good summary. Unfortunately most people who land here won't read it and will continue to ask about enabling numlock. There is one small misconception, though.

The default state of numlock is "off." Fast startup in Windows 10 doesn't turn it off; it bypasses the BIOS setting completely.

JimWynne, Oct 2, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

setting NumLock ON at startup in Windows 10

Hello leathrpaws, *Smile

Unfortunately, updates will sometimes reset stuff back to default. When this happens, you can only just reapply your customizations again. I like to merge all my customizations into one .reg file to make reapplying easier in situations like this.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Oct 2, 2016
  5. Have a look in the BIOS, there is usually an option to enable numlock on boot up in there.

alphanumeric, Oct 2, 2016
  6. stormy13 Win User
    Problem is that Windows 10 defaults to Numlock off and will keep it there regardless of what the BIOS setting is most of the time, hence the need for the regedit Shawn linked to.

stormy13, Oct 2, 2016
  7. Phone Man Win User
    My workaround is old school. Since I have Lock screens on my systems I just hit the NumLock key to get to the login screen and NumLock remains on.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Oct 2, 2016
  8. GregH Win User

That's exactly what I do. You have to hit a key on the KB anyway to bring up the login window, may as well be Num Lock. Just consider it the first key of your PIN *Wink.

GregH, Oct 2, 2016
  9. The thing is, I found this method through 10 Forums, and it's not working right. I know the NumLock key will take me to login screen, usually hit enter then hit the 4 digit code on the number pad to login. Was hitting "Enter" on the laptop since I got it, then entering the passcode on the number pad, but a few days ago, that stopped working, and I had to hit NumLock. Must be due to a recent update.

leathrpaws, Oct 2, 2016
  10. Until a few days ago, the NumLock was automatically on. Hate it when updates change things w/o letting you know.

leathrpaws, Oct 2, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    @leathrpaws,

Please see my post above for why. *Smile

Brink, Oct 3, 2016
  12. Just the opposite for me? If I don't change that BIOS setting to off, my numlock is always on when I boot into Windows? I prefer it to be off. I haven't checked it lately, usually only ever have to go change it after a BIOS flash or BIOS reset to defaults. Maybe Windows 10 ignores it now? Some previous versions of Windows didn't.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. setting NumLock ON at startup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - setting NumLock startup

2. Why isn't numlock-on a default setting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isn't numlock-on a default setting?: When we were on Windows XP, I don't recall having to make any changes to get numlock on. Once you turned it on, it stayed on. Even through a reboot or a shutdown. I don't recall if I had to make any changes to get it to stay on in Windows 7. We never used Vista and we skipped...
  3. Why isn't numlock-on a default setting?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why isn't numlock-on a default setting?: When we were on Windows XP, I don't recall having to make any changes to get numlock on. Once you turned it on, it stayed on. Even through a reboot or a shutdown. I don't recall if I had to make any changes to get it to stay on in Windows 7. We never used Vista and we skipped...
  4. How do I make sure Numlock is on at startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make sure Numlock is on at startup?: My numlock key is defaulting to off. Is there any way to change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-sure-numlock-is-on-at-startup/5ec14c85-c162-44ed-bb94-3d8adbffe314
  5. How do I make sure Numlock is on at startup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make sure Numlock is on at startup?: My numlock key is defaulting to off. Is there any way to change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-sure-numlock-is-on-at-startup/5ec14c85-c162-44ed-bb94-3d8adbffe314
  6. This question is not about the BIOS setting for enabling numlock key on startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    This question is not about the BIOS setting for enabling numlock key on startup: This question is not about the BIOS setting for enabling numlock key on startup.It is about how to enable the numlock key at startup and simultaneously disable the key so it can not be turned off when accidentally hit on a laptop.I know the key can be glued down on a desktop...
  7. Is it possible to set the NumLock Key to an always on position?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is it possible to set the NumLock Key to an always on position?: I want the NumLock key to be enable the numeric keypad always and then be disabled. It is quite a nuisance to turn the numeric keypad off when I am trying to hit the Backspace key. I do not care to understand why anyone would want the numeric keypad on their laptop to ever be...
  8. Set NumLock ON permanently?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Set NumLock ON permanently?: Platform: Lenovo IdeaPad 110-15ACL Is there a way to set NumLock so that it's permantly ON? That is, it cannot be turned off easily? submitted by /u/tway15q1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fb4njr/set_numlock_on_permanently/
  9. Enable NumLock on Fast-Startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable NumLock on Fast-Startup: Hello all, The issue I am currently having is enabling NumLock before the logon, I have modified the corresponding registry key (Find attached my screenshot below) and that works perfectly fine when restarting my PC, however I have fast-startup (Screenshot also below)...
  10. Numlock retains settings on restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Numlock retains settings on restart: Hi, I tried searching and didn't find anything about this, but it's highly likely that this has already been brought up. What gives with the numlock setting resetting every time you restart with Win10? This never occurred with any other version of Windows (at least not to my...