Windows 10: Settings app crashes and closes instantly

Discus and support Settings app crashes and closes instantly in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have an expected problem here. I went to Settings > Personalisation > Colours but every time I click on custom colour, the app crashes for a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DavidLu4, Mar 18, 2020.

1. DavidLu4 Win User

Settings app crashes and closes instantly

I have an expected problem here. I went to Settings > Personalisation > Colours but every time I click on custom colour, the app crashes for a few seconds and then closes instantly. I don't know what caused this but I really have to get it fixed. Can anyone give me any solutions?

:)

DavidLu4, Mar 18, 2020

2. Settings Metro App - Instantly Closes - Cant Diagnose The Issue.

(Trying to take ownership of Windows.UI.Xaml.dll and replace it with a working version)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    DO NOT ATTEMPT THE ACTION ABOVE
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have tried, all of the above suggestions and nothing has worked like in my situation. This is how to fix the problem.

SOLUTION

As you can't update via the settings app, follow these instructions.

1. Hold Windows key & press R
    Type in winver (this will show you your windows version)
    Mine was (Version 1809 OS Build 17763.253)
    2. Check if there is a higher update available e.g (Version 1809 OS Build 17763.292)
    You can do this here HTML Code: 3. Click on the KB article that is relevant to you.

Settings app crashes and closes instantly [​IMG]

4. Scroll to the bottom and download the standalone update by clicking on Microsoft Update Catalog.

5. Download the correct system architecture.

Install and this should resolve your problems - if it does (CREATE A NEW SYSTEM RESTORE POINT)

Hope it helps *Wink

Pleasehelp2019, Mar 18, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Settings Metro App - Instantly Closes - Cant Diagnose The Issue.

Welcome to tenforums.

Looks like you've already tried re-registering the Settings app
    Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10 | Tutorials
    - search that for Settings, decide if for current or all users, and follow the instructions at the top of the relevant section.

Try
    Settings menu closes as soon as I open it. Help? - Windows 10 Forums

Otherwise:
    Do you have System Restore enabled, and any relevant restore points?
    - if you were lucky and restoring completed successfully, that could help.

Noting your comment about not wanting to do a clean install, do you use disk imaging routinely as is frequently recommended here? E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for image files.

Using disk imaging can help you avoid a clean install - even if you need to replace your system disk.

If so you could restore a disk image.

Threads with apparent solutions:
    Windows 10 Settings keeps closing instantly - Windows 10 Forums
    Settings doesnt launch, or launches the Store instead - Microsoft Community

--------------------------------------------------
    As you've confirmed the problem exists for a new user, then I suggest you may need to do an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all programs, data and most settings.
    Windows 10 Help Forums that you will need an iso of the same build installed.
    What is your Windows build? Windows key + r, winver

dalchina, Mar 18, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Settings Metro App - Instantly Closes - Cant Diagnose The Issue.

Here's a copy of my .manifest file as shown in your screenshot:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <assembly
    xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1"
    xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"
    manifestVersion="1.0">
    <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity
    type="win32"
    name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
    version="6.0.0.0"
    processorArchitecture="*"
    publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
    />
    </dependentAssembly>
    </dependency>
    </assembly>

Note there are 2 other xml files which given the comment might be worth having a look at.

= in-place upgrade repair with an iso?

You could look at your Reliability History or if you were brave, use Process Monitor (procmon) free from MS to capture EVERY activity.

There are plenty of results for this problem: worth taking a look:

Example:
    The Settings app crashes in Windows 10 April 2018 Update [FIX]

dalchina, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Settings app crashes and closes instantly - Similar Threads - Settings app crashes

2. Windows 10 settings app closes almost instantly after opening it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 settings app closes almost instantly after opening it: Hello everyone,I am running Windows 10 family, version 22H2 with the build 19045.4046.As the title says, my settings app closes instantly after opening it.I have seen this issue posted a couple of times before and often times, the response is : does the problem still occur...
  3. Windows 10, Settings opened then closes Instantly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10, Settings opened then closes Instantly.: Whenever i try i opening settings after i had cloned windows onto my ssd it instantly closes. Do i have to delete the windows that was on my HDD?...
  4. Windows 10, Settings opened then closes Instantly.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10, Settings opened then closes Instantly.: Whenever i try i opening settings after i had cloned windows onto my ssd it instantly closes. Do i have to delete the windows that was on my HDD?...
  5. Settings Windows 10 closes instantly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Settings Windows 10 closes instantly: I just restarted my pc and set up a new account. Now when I try to open settings it just closes instantly. I cant make a new account, that dosent work, help me please...
  6. Settings Metro App - Instantly Closes - Cant Diagnose The Issue.

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings Metro App - Instantly Closes - Cant Diagnose The Issue.: Hi Guys, I'm at a loose end, my computer has one problem which is driving me crazy. My settings app, opens and then immediatly closes. I'm trying to avoid a fresh install as I have terabytes of data stored. (Other standalone merto apps are working perfectly apart from the...
  7. Setting Metro App - Instantly Closes - Cant Diagnose The Issue.

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting Metro App - Instantly Closes - Cant Diagnose The Issue.: Hi Guys, I'm at a loose end, my computer has one problem which is driving me crazy. My settings app, opens and then immediatly closes. I'm trying to avoid a fresh install as I have terabytes of data stored. (Other standalone merto apps are working perfectly apart from the...
  8. System settings instantly closes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System settings instantly closes: After recent update i cant open settings from start menu and notifications area - settings instantly close. Buttons in Notifications inactive and after closing panel, system throws this error. Event log: - <Event...
  9. Facebook & Messenger Crashing / Closing Down Instantly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Facebook & Messenger Crashing / Closing Down Instantly: HI Guys Since the latest Anniversary Update, i have two Store Apps that will not run, Facebook and FB Messenger. I can install open login page but after entering details both do the same they close down!!!. I have followed several leads the fix app from Microsoft...
  10. Windows 10 Settings keeps closing instantly

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Settings keeps closing instantly: I installed Windows 10, but now when I try to open Settings, it appears then disappears instantly. I tried rebooting but it changed nothing. Also... when I right click and choose Personalize... it won't come up. Any way to fix this? 10959