Windows 10: Settings App vs. Control Panel?

Discus and support Settings App vs. Control Panel? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've tried using the Settings App, but I always seem to end up using Control Panel? Is it just me, or is the Settings App just a partial... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nigelmercier, Jul 29, 2015.

1. nigelmercier Win User

Settings App vs. Control Panel?

I've tried using the Settings App, but I always seem to end up using Control Panel?

Is it just me, or is the Settings App just a partial duplication of CP?

:)

nigelmercier, Jul 29, 2015
  2. BerndBausch Win User

settings vs control panel

Not sure whether this is a place to provide usability feedback to Microsoft, but the fact that there are two configuration mechanisms in Windows 10, Settings and Control Panel, confuses me.

It confuses me in particular if one mechanism doesn't work, whereas the other does.

Specifically: I try to set up a second email account in Outlook. Outlook tells me it can't do that while it is running. I click on
    Start and type "mail". The Settings tool opens and allows me to set up an email account. Problem: This account doesn't appear in Outlook.

After much head-scratching, I remember that the control panel features mail settings as well. The email account I enter here is reflected in Outlook.

BerndBausch, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Control Panel vs. Settings?

Mark,

You can add Control panel back to the list - see
    Show Control Panel or Settings on Win+X Menu in Windows 10 - TenForums

After you have done this, search TenForums for Start menu and you will find guides ["tutorials"] for many customisations that you can do to the Start menu. You will not be able to do what you want but some of the others might make your life a bit
    easier.

Denis

Tryx3, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

I agree, I always use the CP except to try and remove apps that came with 10, which I am having issues doing.

5. derek10 Win User
    Yes, I don't understand why it has two separate "control panels" as if windows 10 was composed of two OS's xD
    anyway, metro settings app has unique settings, like notifications, WU, etc,

derek10, Jul 29, 2015
  6. dskiller Win User
    one day the control panel will be completely gone.

but microsoft has to take baby steps to avoid problems.

and other companys will have to convert their control panel files to work with the settings app.

dskiller, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Akane Win User
    I am using Windows Key + X button

Akane, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Settings App vs. Control Panel? - Similar Threads - Settings App Control

2. Control Panel versus System Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Control Panel versus System Settings: Hello, Increasingly I have noticed this sort of ambiguity in Windows 10 where there are settings in the "control panel" that are also controlled through settings in the "system settings." Latest example, is the "Manage Sound Devices" under system settings->Sound where you...
  3. control panel

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    control panel: I have intel g41 wddm 1.1 driver...can't open gfxui.exe(control panel)...does this driver really dont have a control panel? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/control-panel/2fce9ea9-337e-454c-aaa1-edabd069e404
  4. Flash Player Settings in Control Panel?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flash Player Settings in Control Panel?: Why are we still seeing an icon for Flash Player (32 bit) in Control Panel like this? I thought Flash was now embedded in browsers. 95627
  5. Will Settings eventually replace Control Panel?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will Settings eventually replace Control Panel?: At the start when I heard that Windows 10 was going to have a "Settings" app alongside Control Panel, I thought it was silly. Jumping ahead to now, I kind of like Settings. It makes doing some things easier and puts it all in one place (Although the taskbar options, like...
  6. control panel

in Windows 10 Support
    control panel: I have 10130 and am surprised to still have the control panel, although the icon has changed. Has anyone still got theirs? 7093
  7. Control Panel

in Windows 10 Support
    Control Panel: Hi Where did the Control panel option do? I had an update today and I use to be able to right click the start menu to get to the control panel and I just went to access the CP to turn something off and the CP option is missing from the right click menu on the start button....
  8. Control Panel

in Windows 10 Support
    Control Panel: I hope someone can assist me. I upgraded to Win 10 and when I go to the Control Panel, by default it opens as Large icons. I change it to Category as that is how I want it to open but it keeps on defaulting back to what I don't want. Very frustrating*Sad 23032
  9. Microsoft to replace Control Panel with Windows 10 Settings app

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to replace Control Panel with Windows 10 Settings app: Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) provides users with two ways to access settings, the traditional Control Panel with access to various functions and tools, as well as the new Modern UI Settings app. The former is the more advanced option, but Microsoft is moving away from...
  10. Control Panel

in Windows 10 Support
    Control Panel: I 'upgraded' to Windows 10 yesterday and initially found the control panel but can no longer find it. I very badly want to change my wallpaper and screen saver. Where is it? 26489