Settings App vs. Control Panel?

Discus and support Settings App vs. Control Panel? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've tried using the Settings App, but I always seem to end up using Control Panel? Is it just me, or is the Settings App just a partial... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nigelmercier, Jul 29, 2015.

1. nigelmercier Win User

I've tried using the Settings App, but I always seem to end up using Control Panel?

Is it just me, or is the Settings App just a partial duplication of CP?

:)

nigelmercier, Jul 29, 2015
  2. BerndBausch Win User

settings vs control panel

Not sure whether this is a place to provide usability feedback to Microsoft, but the fact that there are two configuration mechanisms in Windows 10, Settings and Control Panel, confuses me.

It confuses me in particular if one mechanism doesn't work, whereas the other does.

Specifically: I try to set up a second email account in Outlook. Outlook tells me it can't do that while it is running. I click on
    Start and type "mail". The Settings tool opens and allows me to set up an email account. Problem: This account doesn't appear in Outlook.

After much head-scratching, I remember that the control panel features mail settings as well. The email account I enter here is reflected in Outlook.

BerndBausch, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Control Panel vs. Settings?

Mark,

You can add Control panel back to the list - see
    Show Control Panel or Settings on Win+X Menu in Windows 10 - TenForums

After you have done this, search TenForums for Start menu and you will find guides ["tutorials"] for many customisations that you can do to the Start menu. You will not be able to do what you want but some of the others might make your life a bit
    easier.

Denis

Tryx3, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

I agree, I always use the CP except to try and remove apps that came with 10, which I am having issues doing.

5. derek10 Win User
    Yes, I don't understand why it has two separate "control panels" as if windows 10 was composed of two OS's xD
    anyway, metro settings app has unique settings, like notifications, WU, etc,

derek10, Jul 29, 2015
  6. dskiller Win User
    one day the control panel will be completely gone.

but microsoft has to take baby steps to avoid problems.

and other companys will have to convert their control panel files to work with the settings app.

dskiller, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Akane Win User
    I am using Windows Key + X button

Akane, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Settings App vs. Control Panel? - Similar Threads - Settings App Control

2. Win10 Emoji Panel Won't Open

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Emoji Panel Won't Open: Hi All, I also posted this same question here... Entering Emoji on Hardware Keyboard with Emoji Panel in Windows 10 Anyway, I'm running the latest version of win 10 and the emoji panel will not open, using either Win + period or Win + semicolon key's. I've done a system...
  3. Xbox one WIRED controller does not work on PC,Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Xbox one WIRED controller does not work on PC,Windows 10: Very simple problem with no solution, My Xbox one wired (not wireless) controller does not work and has not worked for a week. I tried 3 different controllers on 2 different PC's both windows 10 with functioning USB ports and I have used data sync cables (at least 2) with no...
  4. Problems with Windows10 Photos App: 1) all pictures go to 1 file instead of files indexed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Windows10 Photos App: 1) all pictures go to 1 file instead of files indexed...: I try to import photos from my iphone 8 to my Dell laptop with Windows10, both running with up to date versions of their software. I connect iphone to the PC with a USB cable. Photos app came with the laptop. I read most of the answers from the community but they didn't solve...
  5. In Windows 10, I am not able to uninstall a program using the Settings App utility. Is...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In Windows 10, I am not able to uninstall a program using the Settings App utility. Is...: In Windows 10, I am not able to uninstall a program using the App Settings utility. Is there another way? I believe that I had inadvertently deleted a file from the Programs (x86) folder for that program. When I try to uninstall the program using the settings utility, I...
  6. windows 10 mail app

windows 10 mail app: My windows mail app does not open any links https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/windows-10-mail-app/07ef5d8a-a07f-4cfd-b930-3ff5cbf33e41
  7. Updated: Black screen, little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updated: Black screen, little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN,...: I shut down my laptop last night, get the dreaded black screen, and the little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN, really. Why is this still a problem, and like someone else posted... Why can we not opt out of updates...
  8. [BUG] Windows 10 OneDrive @ Default Settings Causing Major Issues With Security Permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    [BUG] Windows 10 OneDrive @ Default Settings Causing Major Issues With Security Permissions: I came across this post, when researching the issue of security permissions being grayed out and not having the ability to save files. I then noticed this post was dated August 2015. Could this still be an issue with One Drive? My problem with not being able to save files...
  9. retrieving / recovering apps. removed while pc resets.

retrieving / recovering apps. removed while pc resets.: Reviewed information on subject posted and seems easy enough to reinstall app. however, in particular how do I access the data that was saved to any particular app. ie have several years tax files. Worst comes to worst can I reset to a date prior to this episode?...
  10. i update windows 10 to vesion 1803 and now i cant set a stretch resolution for fortnite

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    i update windows 10 to vesion 1803 and now i cant set a stretch resolution for fortnite: i update windows 10 to vesion 1803 and now i cant set a stretch resolution for fortnite https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/i-update-windows-10-to-vesion-1803-and-now-i-cant/ade8d237-3e4e-449e-9bef-e7d235a8d1ba"