Windows 10: Sharing on a Windows 10 Pro workgroup

Discus and support Sharing on a Windows 10 Pro workgroup in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I setup a share on a Windows 10 pro computer so that others can map to it via \\hostname\share. The issue is that when I try mapping to it from another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ecentdj, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Sharing on a Windows 10 Pro workgroup

I setup a share on a Windows 10 pro computer so that others can map to it via \\hostname\share. The issue is that when I try mapping to it from another computer on the workgroup it prompts for creds. When I enter the creds of the local admin user and click save credentials is does connect to the share. I would like to create shares with out needing credentials. I shared the folder and set everyone to have full access. What am I missing? Do I have to use the Public user somehow?

submitted by /u/ecentdj
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ecentdj, Feb 6, 2020

2. Share my Windows 10 Machine on WorkGroup

Hello

I have a workgroup of 3 computers

1 Windows 7

2 Windows 10

Same workgroup name for each computer

From My Windows 7 Machine I set-up the sharing

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

I have Amin Login/Password on each machine

So now I can acces and browse my Windows 7 machine from my Windows 10 machine

But if I try to acces the Windows 10 Machine from the W7 machines I get a Login Pasword form suggesting a domain which is the name of My W7 machine

But now way to access the Windows 10 machine with my usual Login Password

I look around on internet and just found some tricky solution requiring Registry editing

Windows 10 & network share access denied - Solution

Is it really so tricky & complicate to configure Windows 10 for networking ?

Thanks for any help

Thanks for your comments / suggestions

OlivierGoossens Bara, Feb 6, 2020
  3. Rey Bel1 Win User
    Windows 10 File Sharing on Workgroup Network

To assist you better, we'd like to ask the following questions:

• Are you getting any error messages while trying to set up the workgroup?
    • Is this the first time you're having issues with setting up the workgroup?
    • Could you describe to us what happens when your trying to set up the workgroup?

We look forward to your response.

Rey Bel1, Feb 6, 2020
  4. GFR
    gfr Win User

Sharing on a Windows 10 Pro workgroup

Share Files and Folders Over a Network with Win10Home & Pro & Win7Pro

@Brink,

I followed Option 1 with the following exceptions:
    • Windows 7 Pro: SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, Automatic Removal, Client and Server and SMB Direct are not options.
    • Windows 10 Home: SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, Automatic Removal, Client and Server are checked and SMB Direct is not an option.
    • Note: Windows 10 Pro: SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, Automatic Removal, Client and Server and SMB Direct are checked.
    Clearly the problem is sharing with Windows 10 Pro...

Sharing with Windows 10 Pro
    • Windows 10 Pro can reach files and folders on Windows 7 Pro
    • Windows 10 Pro cannot reach files and folders on Windows 10 Home; Message: Windows cannot access...
    • Windows 10 Home cannot reach files and folders on Windows 10 Pro; Message: Enter your credentials
    • Windows 7 Pro cannot reach files and folders on Windows 10 Pro; Message: Enter your password
    Sharing Between Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Pro
    • Windows 10 Home can reach files and folders on Windows 7 Pro
    • Windows 7 Pro can reach files and folders on Windows 10 Home
    Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I followed Option 2 without exceptions and received the same results as above.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I with much help, I solve my networking problem!

The first step was to follow Option 1 and Option 2 from the first post of this thread/tutorial.

The second step was to create a new password-protected local (user) account with administrator privileges and without using an email or phone number when creating the new user account on the Windows 10 Pro machine.

The third step was to create a new password-protected user account with administrator privileges on the Windows 7 Pro machine with the exact same username and password as the new local account on the Windows 10 Pro machine.

When I attempted to share/access a file on the Windows 10 Pro machine from the Windows 7 Pro machine, I simply entered the new username and password from above when asked for my network credentials and puff, it worked.

A similar process was followed for networking the Windows 10 Pro and Home machines.

Thema:

Sharing on a Windows 10 Pro workgroup

1. Sharing on a Windows 10 Pro workgroup - Similar Threads - Sharing Pro workgroup

2. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  3. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  4. is workgroup share encrypted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. "Secure" Windows 10 File Sharing on a Workgroup in Windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Secure" Windows 10 File Sharing on a Workgroup in Windows 10?: There was a way in Windows 7 (and XP?) to set up password-protected sharing for files/folders/volumes among computers on the same Workgroup when the LAN is declared as "Public" for those computers (providing an extra layer of security). I remember that a user on a "remote"...
  6. Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup": Hello, have two machines, running Win 10 Home, both I think are called 32 bit. One machine I use for myself, writing, personally created music, financial etc, the other is used by us both for e-mails, and other information. I had a kind of partial sharing between machines...
  7. Network/Workgroup Sharing

Network/Workgroup Sharing: Sirs: I have two computers set up to use the same Workgroup. When I try to connect from one computer to the other. I get a message "You do not have permission to access (the shared directory)" on the other computer. I enabled all sharing and permissions that I can find...
  8. Shared folders using Workgroup Windows 10

Shared folders using Workgroup Windows 10: I want to be able to set specific permissions for individual user accounts on other computers for when I share files/folders. When I go to Advanced Sharing and click "Share this folder" and then proceed to go to set permissions, the only location I have available is my...
  9. Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares

Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares: I have a relatively simple network that consists of a couple Windows 10 PCs, Android devices and Raspberry Pis. For some reason I cannot access the shares provided by the PIs from anything but the android devices. It says they are in WORKGROUP (using Kodi) but they simply...
  10. Is it possible to Share a Windows 10 machine on a WorkGroup

Is it possible to Share a Windows 10 machine on a WorkGroup: Hello I'm trying to access a Windows 10 Machine on a Worgroup from My Windows 7 Machine From the Windows 7 machine I can browse the Windows 7 Machine But when I try to acces the windows 10 Machine it requires Username Password and the single ADMIN username / Password used...