Windows 10: Sharing on "Public" Network in Windows 10 Pro?

Discus and support Sharing on "Public" Network in Windows 10 Pro? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is it indeed possible to share files over a "public" network among computers in the same workgroup? If so, are there special tricks to pull this off?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JCW2, Dec 13, 2019.

1. JCW2 Win User

Sharing on "Public" Network in Windows 10 Pro?

Is it indeed possible to share files over a "public" network among computers in the same workgroup? If so, are there special tricks to pull this off?

I have been advised elsewhere that, "[Microsoft] have broken networking in Windows 10" and that, "if you choose a Public network then [Windows 10] will block all attempts to connect even for file sharing." Nevertheless your very comprehensive discussion of file sharing at

Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10

describes sharing "files and folders on your computer with other users over a private or public network in your workgroup or domain [emphasis mine]."

Background: I have a small home/office LAN soon to serve three latest-version Win10 computers. Although it's behind a router with a hardware firewall, there are computers on the LAN (specifically my wife's) that I don't control so don't fully trust. Under Win7 I used to declare the network public on two workgroup computers and was able to share files in spite of that. I remember that I had to provide specific network addresses and assign virtual drive letters to do so. I'd like to do the same with Win10, but I'm not sure it's still possible. (Disclaimer: I have not read through all the material here, so I hope this question has not already been answered!) --

:)

2. Public documents sharing

My question is how do other computers see it as homegroup window does not list public folders?

I know how to put files into public it is the next step that I am not understanding in setting up the network/computers etc to see the public folders.

I have spent a day trying to understand/working out how to do this it is not obvious as the homegroup page only shows library folders that I do not want to share.

So how do I get the homegroup to show public folders?

peterprewett, Dec 13, 2019
  3. GFR
    gfr Win User
    Share Files and Folders Over a Network with Win10Home & Pro & Win7Pro

@Brink,

I followed Option 1 with the following exceptions:
    • Windows 7 Pro: SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, Automatic Removal, Client and Server and SMB Direct are not options.
    • Windows 10 Home: SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, Automatic Removal, Client and Server are checked and SMB Direct is not an option.
    • Note: Windows 10 Pro: SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, Automatic Removal, Client and Server and SMB Direct are checked.
    Clearly the problem is sharing with Windows 10 Pro...

Sharing with Windows 10 Pro
    • Windows 10 Pro can reach files and folders on Windows 7 Pro
    • Windows 10 Pro cannot reach files and folders on Windows 10 Home; Message: Windows cannot access...
    • Windows 10 Home cannot reach files and folders on Windows 10 Pro; Message: Enter your credentials
    • Windows 7 Pro cannot reach files and folders on Windows 10 Pro; Message: Enter your password
    Sharing Between Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Pro
    • Windows 10 Home can reach files and folders on Windows 7 Pro
    • Windows 7 Pro can reach files and folders on Windows 10 Home
    Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I followed Option 2 without exceptions and received the same results as above.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I with much help, I solve my networking problem!

The first step was to follow Option 1 and Option 2 from the first post of this thread/tutorial.

The second step was to create a new password-protected local (user) account with administrator privileges and without using an email or phone number when creating the new user account on the Windows 10 Pro machine.

The third step was to create a new password-protected user account with administrator privileges on the Windows 7 Pro machine with the exact same username and password as the new local account on the Windows 10 Pro machine.

When I attempted to share/access a file on the Windows 10 Pro machine from the Windows 7 Pro machine, I simply entered the new username and password from above when asked for my network credentials and puff, it worked.

A similar process was followed for networking the Windows 10 Pro and Home machines.

4. Kari Win User

Network sharing

Hi Yrralrellim, welcome to the Ten Forums.

Most obvious things to check:

1. Is Network Discovery turned on on the Windows 10 machines?
    2. Is File and printer sharing turned on on the Windows 10 machines?
    3. Is Public folder sharing turned on on the Windows 10 machines?

Screenshot, list items 1 & 2:

Sharing on "Public" Network in Windows 10 Pro? [​IMG]

Screenshot, list item 3:

Sharing on "Public" Network in Windows 10 Pro? [​IMG]

Click screenshots to enlarge.

Thema:

1. Sharing on "Public" Network in Windows 10 Pro? - Similar Threads - Sharing Public Network

2. public network !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    public network !: is it possible to delete everything to do with a public network on my computer because im sick and tired of it turning on by its self i dont ever sign on usiing one i never will and i just want the whole option deleted off my computer ?...
  3. public network !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    public network !: is it possible to delete everything to do with a public network on my computer because im sick and tired of it turning on by its self i dont ever sign on usiing one i never will and i just want the whole option deleted off my computer ?...
  4. public network !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Sharing Public Folders on windows 10

Sharing Public Folders on windows 10: I have asked this before and have not received any replies. I'll try again. I have spent over 6 hours on this issue and have read and tried all the standard file/folder sharing solutions. I have a basic WIRED home network. 3 dell computers, 2 running windows 10 pro and 1...
  6. Public Sharing

Public Sharing: I have three machines on a wired home network, all running Windows 10 1909. All three are part of the same Workgroup, all three have Public Sharing turned on, yet Istill can't get this to work properly. Machine's One and Two won't show any other connected machines. Machine...
  7. Public Network

Public Network: Why does my home network show up as a public network instead of a private network? I have an xFinity gateway. I know it has hot spots built into it, but I have turned the hot spots off. Is there a way I can move the network from public to private in Windows?...
  8. sharing Public folder

sharing Public folder: I have upgraded an old Vista machine to W10. The old machine can read the shared Public folder on my base computer (W10). The new W10 computer can't find the Public folder. I've made all the suggested settings for sharing, but the Public folder from the base computer can't be...
  9. Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network'

Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network': I use a MacBook Pro purchased about a year ago and use bootcamp to have both Mac and Windows on my computer. I have Windows on my computer to use QuickBooks for work. I have been doing this for over a year now. I am connected to our Quickbooks business information through a...
  10. Public network.

Public network.: From the beginning that i install windows 10 i had a homenetwork (network 1).Now it is switchd to a public network (network 2).How is that happen? How can i back to my home network (network 1) ? 44257

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setup windows 10 network file sharing