Windows 10: Shortcut icons appear very small at random

Discus and support Shortcut icons appear very small at random in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have put shortcuts to all of my games into one folder for easy access. Despite the fact that all of the shortcuts have large icons that can display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MisterCerberus, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Shortcut icons appear very small at random

I have put shortcuts to all of my games into one folder for easy access. Despite the fact that all of the shortcuts have large icons that can display at any size, some of them are displayed very small.

The odd part is, which ones display as small seems to be random. If I restart the computer, some of the previously small ones will now be the correct size, and vice versa.

At first, I thought it was a problem with my custom icons (Some older games have small icons, which I have replaced); but it also happens to DOOM and Fallout 4 which have their original icons.

What causes this?

Shortcut icons appear very small at random [​IMG]

:)

MisterCerberus, Aug 9, 2017

2. Some Google Shortcut Icons appear as empty folders when I choose to display the medium size icon on desktop

I created shortcuts on my desktop for Google Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar and Google Contacts. I replaced the icons that windows offered with icons I downloaded from the web. The four icons appear as I selected when I choose to display small icons
    on the desktop. When I change the size of the desktop icons to medium, the Google Drive and Google Calendar shortcuts display the same as they did when I used the "small" icon; however, the Google Mail and Google Contacts icons appear as empty folders.

I recognize that this is a minor problem, but I would rather have the correct icon display.

Thanks.

FailedCellar392, Aug 9, 2017
  3. Ed1-US Win User
    Is there any way to get the original icons to display again after the shortcuts are moved into a folder?

Thanks, but changing the Views for the folder does not bring back the shortcut icons.

I am running Windows 10 TH2 (latest update) but this behavior happens on my Windows 7 computer as well.

Some shortcuts retain their icons when dragged into folders on the desktop, other shortcuts lose their icons and become white rectangles with the small shortcut arrow.

Very strange. I am hoping someone knows a solution.

Ed1-US, Aug 9, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Shortcut icons appear very small at random

Tony K, Aug 9, 2017
  5. MisterCerberus, Aug 10, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    It may have to do with the folder optimization or template. Left click on the folder > Choose "Properties" ? Choose "Customize" tab > Click on the down arrow for the list > I would think to choose "General items" or if that doesn't work try "Pictures"? Not sure at that point > Make a choice > Click "Apply" at the bottom right.

While there, you may want to choose an icon for that folder.

Also, I see you have that folder named "Games" in the Games folder. You may want to rename that folder to something else such as "Games Shortcuts" or similar. Or you may try moving that folder to another place. You would have to recreate those shortcuts, though, for the path won't be correct.

A tutorial on the subject: Change Folder Template in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Shortcut icons appear very small at random

1. Shortcut icons appear very small at random - Similar Threads - Shortcut icons appear

2. URL shortcut icons appear too small

in Windows 10 Gaming
    URL shortcut icons appear too small: I have a bunch of shortcuts for games that I want to display as "very large". The problem is that they display too small. Some of them do this, but not all of them. It's quite strange. The only shortcut that I didn't replace with a custom icon is Loop Hero, although that...
  3. URL shortcut icons appear too small

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    URL shortcut icons appear too small: I have a bunch of shortcuts for games that I want to display as "very large". The problem is that they display too small. Some of them do this, but not all of them. It's quite strange. The only shortcut that I didn't replace with a custom icon is Loop Hero, although that...
  4. URL shortcut icons appear too small

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Game app icons very small.

Game app icons very small.: Hi, something happened again on my computer. 'Roblox' and 'minecraft' has become small. Roblox player and Studio too. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/game-app-icons-very-small/4baf32b1-08f9-4382-8225-b8cef96bb683
  6. very small icons and very small text in taskbar,

very small icons and very small text in taskbar,: Hi ,my name is Colin i have just bought a new Dell inspiron 15 model 3585,The problem i have is tiny text and icons on task bar,and when i right click on anything that text is also so very small,i might add that in settings the text size is normal size, ease of access is of...
  7. these weird icons keep appearing over the small arrows on my desktop shortcuts (zoom in)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    these weird icons keep appearing over the small arrows on my desktop shortcuts (zoom in): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/smcaskill [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eewi0h/these_weird_icons_keep_appearing_over_the_small/
  8. Icons for app shortcuts are small

Icons for app shortcuts are small: [ATTACH] So, this has happened with my apps, it happened a couple months ago, i've looked up and watched way too many youtube videos of people trying to fix everything but this problem. If you know how to revert it back to normal, please help a girl out:) thanks!...
  9. Shortcut Overlays appearing on non-shortcut icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Overlays appearing on non-shortcut icons on desktop: Hello, I recently purchased a new Windows 10 laptop, and it has an odd issue which my old Windows 10 machine didn't... All the icons on the desktop (except the Recycle Bin) are showing shortcut overlays (little blue arrows on the lower-left corner of the icon) - whether...
  10. System icons on taskbar very small

in Windows 10 Support
    System icons on taskbar very small: Anyone able to help as to why after a win 10, [upgraded from win 8.1] upgrade has the system, [Mail,store, and calendar,]icons become very small? The Store icon is half the size as the rest of non "system" icons. Calendar is half the size and the Mail icon is a quarter...