Windows 10: shortcut w/admin privileges for standard user

Discus and support shortcut w/admin privileges for standard user in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, I've just cleaned up a massive malware infection on my grandson's computer (HP Pavilion notebook) and upgraded it to Win 10 from its native... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by 3point1, Jul 12, 2016.

1. 3point1 Win User

shortcut w/admin privileges for standard user

Hello,

I've just cleaned up a massive malware infection on my grandson's computer (HP Pavilion notebook) and upgraded it to Win 10 from its native Win 8. His account is a standard user vs admin. Everything's working fine. EXCEPT, he plays an online game which requires an admin password to boot. What I'm trying to do is create access to the program without having to log him in every time. The command I'm trying to implement is:

runas /user:ComputerName\Username /savecred "C:\path\to\file.exe"

Of course I swapped out the real computer name and user name, and I've tried working with the existing shortcut pinned to the taskbar, so I know I've got the correct file path. I've also tried creating a brand new shortcut, but I can't get the program to boot. Perhaps Win 10 doesn't allow a runas command for a standard user.

Is there another way - that isn't too complicated - to do this?

:)

3point1, Jul 12, 2016
  2. GimmGimm Win User

How to activate the inactive administrator user profile on Windows 10?

Original Title: Cannot access my admin user! Help!!!

Hello! I have two account on my computer. One account is a standard account and the other is a user. I used the command prompt to set the admin account as inactive. The only active account is the standard user. I cannot use any
    administrative privileges. I have tried everything that I have thought of, but could not find any solution. The admin is separate from the Administrator account. It is a separate user with admin privileges. I am looking for either somehow getting both users
    back, the standard and the admin or, as a last resort, to completely wipe my pc and reinstall windows. Please help. Thank you!

GimmGimm, Jul 12, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade - New Admin User Created - Changed all other users to standard (without admin rights)

After a Windows 10 Upgrade, I created a new admin user and changed other users to standard. Now I am not able to use admin account. When I login using admin user account, it gives an error User Service Profile cannot be loaded. I am not able to install or
    configure or make system changes which require admin privileges. When I troubleshooted the problem, it says that there are no administrators on this pc. I tried to use command prompt, to enable built-in administrator and boot in safe mode etc., but it is not
    working..

Kindly help me. I need to enable existing admin user account. Or, create a new admin user account for exercising admin privileges. There is no problem with other standard user accounts on my pc.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

GSBSChowdari, Jul 12, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 12, 2016
  5. 3point1 Win User
    Enabling the hidden/built-in Admin account & setting a password for it worked like a charm! Thanks, Brink! *Smile

3point1, Jul 13, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Jul 13, 2016
  7. Thanks. One, perhaps dumb, question:

Must it be the built-in Administrator account? Or, can it be an Admin level account created at install time? I have an Admin level account on all our PCs and a standard User account.

If it must be the hidden Administrator account, I presume it can be re-hidden afterwards - correct?

I'd like to use this for a VPN shortcut. Prior to finding this thread, I tried similar using the Admin level account (i.e. not the hidden Administrator one), but it didn't work. Maybe it didn't because it should have been built-in Administrator, but it seems to accept without either error or the VPN application started.

Anyway, wanted to check if built-in Administrator was necessary vs created Admin, before going through the rigmarole to change up all the computers.

transplanted99, Aug 18, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello tansplanted99, *Smile

Yeah, it must be the built-in Administrator account used for this to work.

If you disable the account afterwards, it will also break the shortcut. The account will need to remain enabled for the shortcut to continue to work.

If you wanted an elevated shortcut to use in an administrator account instead of standard user, then you could use the method below instead.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. shortcut w/admin privileges for standard user - Similar Threads - shortcut admin privileges

2. Admin Rights switched to Standard User

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin Rights switched to Standard User: Win10 Pro Ver. 21H1 I recently changed my logon password and somehow (probably being careless) have disabled my Administrator Rights and switched the system to Standard User. Now of course the UAC is preventing me from opening apps, various sites, Power Shell (Admin) or...
  3. Admin Rights switched to Standard User

in Windows 10 Support
    Admin Rights switched to Standard User: Win10 Pro Ver. 21H1 I recently changed my logon password and somehow (probably being careless) have disabled my Administrator Rights and switched the system to Standard User. Now of course the UAC is preventing me from opening apps, various sites, Power Shell (Admin) or...
  4. Privileged Functionality as a Standard User?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Privileged Functionality as a Standard User?: I have performed an initial logon as a standard user. When I check my info under Windows Settings it indicates I am an administrator. I no longer have to authenticate to perform privileged functions. I want to be able to logon as standard user and authenticate to execute...
  5. Admin privileges

Admin privileges: So I recently transferred windows over to a new m.2 drive which I got got Christmas. But when I was trying to make the account passwordsless, I used the command netplwiz to make it passwordless because that's what I found online, but while doing that I decided to change the...
  6. admin privileges

in Windows 10 Customization
    admin privileges: so i want admin privileges so i can unblock websites but for some reason i cant access accounts, gaming, apps, update and sercuity, personalization, and when i do a admin app it says enter admin user and password i reset my computer but nothing helped and i cantt access...
  7. Standard User reset Admin user password!

Standard User reset Admin user password!: Hi, I have a Windows 10 machine with 2 local user accounts. One standard an one admin. The admin user has modified some settings about standard user like the login times using command line net user standardusername /times:M-S,09:00-17:00 But every time the standard user...
  8. UAC & standard users with additional privileges

UAC & standard users with additional privileges: I am using windows 10, version 1909 I am new to tenforums. I am also new to Windows 10. I am in the process of switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I joined tenforums because I have a problem with configuring Windows 10 that I am unable to solve on my own. Perhaps someone...
  9. About accounts: Admin/Standard user?

About accounts: Admin/Standard user?: I just did a clean install of W10 for a friend. I havent set up a fresh install of 10 and am familar with the structure of accounts in W7> So. Clarify for me the "rights" of accounts(that i set up) in W10 Do they have adminstrator rights? Plan was to set up and Admin account...
  10. Admin Password with Standard User

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Admin Password with Standard User: I don't know the admin password and I have a standard account! Can someone please help me?????????????!!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-password-with-standard-user/69ab0540-cab7-4199-b339-04cb7d920478

Users found this page by searching for:

1. runas /user:computername\username /savecred c:\path\to\file.exe