Windows 10: Should I register new Windows 10 before migrating HDD to SSD?

Discus and support Should I register new Windows 10 before migrating HDD to SSD? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a few questions on this, so please bear with me! 1) I got a new laptop and Win 10 seems to be working ok. Win 10 has not asked me to register... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by win10today, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Should I register new Windows 10 before migrating HDD to SSD?

I have a few questions on this, so please bear with me!

1) I got a new laptop and Win 10 seems to be working ok. Win 10 has not asked me to register yet, but I guess it will before long. So, should I register with Microsoft first and then change my hard drive to a SSD?

2) Will be using a Samsung SSD and apparently they have migration software, so is that the best way to move the info from the hard drive that came with the computer to the new SSD?

3) No Windows disc came with my new laptop, so how do I make a back up of Windows 10 now that it is working? I've heard about making an image of it and if so, any tips how to simply do that?

Sorry for all the questions. Kind of excited with this new computer and overall, my Win10 experience has been quite pleasant, after deleting all the bloatware!

:)

win10today, Jan 28, 2017

2. Salvaging windows 10 from HDD and putting it into SSD inside a new computer

I salvaged my HDD with windows 10 that came pre-installed from my laptop filled with bloatware to use on my desktop in an SSD.

I decided to reset Windows 10 to remove bloatware before migration. When trying to reset to do a clean install, I get an error "There was a problem resetting your PC", so it won't let me reset the windows 10 installation. It also won't connect to the internet
    even with ethernet cable connected and it isn't recognizing my 2560x1440p monitor, most likely because a lot of the drivers are messed up.

My plan is to migrate the Windows 10 from my HDD that came with my laptop to an SSD. But I want to migrate the bloatware-free version of windows 10, without the bloatware that came with my laptop. So I want to do a clean install of the OEM Windows 10 in
    a new hardware setting than the original. Than I will use cloning software to migrate to SSD.

I found the Windows 10 product key from my UEFI. How can I do a clean install of windows 10 in my old HDD and migrate it to an SSD?

WeiShi- [O365], Jan 28, 2017
  3. Moving windows 10 to ssd from hdd

I was wondering I would be able to migrate my windows 10 from my failing HDD to my new SSD

StevenE3993, Jan 28, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Should I register new Windows 10 before migrating HDD to SSD?

What do you mean by 'register'? Do you mean setting up a Microsoft account? While a MS account can be useful, it is not a requirement. Or are you talking about activating your Windows 10? That's automatic, yours should already be activated. Look in Settings > Update & security > Activation and it should tell you that it is already activated with a digital licence. Nothing more for you to do.

There may well be a factory restore image, perhaps on a hidden partition. Methods vary between manufacturers as to how to do a factory reset or make a backup copy of the factory image (though the tools to do that may have been in the bloatware you removed), Check you manual or the manufacturer's support site. Of course, you can always download install media from Microsoft if you ever need to do a clean install.

As for backing up your specific system with the bloatware removed, your own programs installed and set up as you like it, Macrium Reflect (free) is widely recommended on these boards.

5. Thanks Bee, yes I guess it is activated then. Been awhile since I've done that so was not sure.

I better read the manual then to see where the back up is. Did not delete all the bloatware and left the Lenovo Utilities that came with the computer.

I will look at Macrium Reflect and see how that works, thanks again for the help, I appreciate it!

win10today, Jan 28, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    You can set-up a MS account at any time if that's what you mean by register.

I updated my laptop with a Samsung SSD a few months ago. I used Macrium Reflect Free to image the HDD installation to an external USB drive, installed the SSD then copied the Reflect image to the new SSD using a Reflect recovery drive. I did this since there are advantages in imaging rather than cloning an installation. I can post more advice if needed.

I use Macrium Reflect Free to backup my laptop to an external USB drive once a week.

If you need to reinstall Windows, you can obtain a USB installation drive using the Media Creation Tool or obtain an ISO installation file see below.
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10
    Windows 10 ISO Download

Steve C, Jan 28, 2017
  7. Steve C, yes I would really like more advice on imaging the old hard drive so that I can put it on the new SSD please. I had a look at Macrium Reflect and was not sure if I had to image my HDD or Clone it as Macrium has both. Until I read your post just now, I thought I had to clone it, but you say imaging has it's advantages. All new to me, but whatever is the best and safest way is what I want. I have a 1T HDD that came with the new laptop, but not much of it used and I have a new Samsung 256GB 850 Pro SSD that I will use for the swap.

win10today, Jan 28, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

I've enclosed my guide which was originally written for moving a HDD with two a partitions (system & user) to a new SSD in Windows 8. You will need to install Macrium Reflect Free, image your laptop installation to a USB external drive and also create a Reflect recovery drive. Check you can boot from the recovery drive. Next remove the HDD and install the SSD, boot to the Reflect recovery drive with the USB drive containing the Reflect image connected, browse to the image you made and recover that image to the SSD. Then boot normally and check out the installation. You can see some further tips in my guide.
    SSD Transfer.docx

Steve C, Jan 28, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Should it prove necessary, you can freely download the latest major Windows build and create a bootable disk or DVD. Details in the Tutorial section here.

Make sure you use AHCI mode with your SSD (may need a change in your BIOS). That maximises performance.

Activation after changing a disk should be automatic.

Assuming you will only have the one disk in your laptop (I have two as you can see from my specs), good practice is to create a new partition for your personal data, and keep that separate from your OS as far as reasonably practicable.

dalchina, Jan 28, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    To make a recovery drive that contains the manufacturer files specific to your computer, click on the start icon and start type create. One of the results should be Create a recovery drive (control panel). Click on that. You'll need at least an 8 GB USB flash drive. Make sure the box for "Back up system files to recovery drive" is checked. This will NOT backup personal data files. This will only allow you to reinstall Windows 10 and the manufacturer software that came with the computer.

Should I register new Windows 10 before migrating HDD to SSD? [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Jan 28, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR, would a clone or image of the disk work as well? I'm just trying to avoid all the bloatware that came with my laptop as it was extensive and takes time to get rid of it all.

win10today, Jan 28, 2017
  12. Thank you Steve C, very very helpful, I sincerely appreciate the help on this one!

win10today, Jan 28, 2017
  13. Should I register new Windows 10 before migrating HDD to SSD?

Thanks dalchina, this gives me another option to work with as well if needed.

win10today, Jan 28, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes.

NavyLCDR, Jan 28, 2017
  15. Winuser Win User
    Years ago I use to use a program called PC Decrapifier. I don't know if it's being updated or if it even works on Windows 10. Just throwing this out there in case you want to check for a easier way to remove the OEM bloatware.

Winuser, Jan 29, 2017
Thema:

1. Should I register new Windows 10 before migrating HDD to SSD? - Similar Threads - Should register before

2. windows migration from HDD to SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows migration from HDD to SSD.: Hello,i buyed a laptop with an HDD and i want to know if that is it possible to make a transfer of my operating system from that Hard Disk to another SSD that i already buyed it and assemble it to my laptop . To know that my windows 10 has a digital activation included with...
  3. Should I migrate my HDD data to new SSD or CLEAN INSTALL??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I migrate my HDD data to new SSD or CLEAN INSTALL??: I,ve been using a hard drive on my pc for 3 years now and im finally making the switch to an ssd(SAMSUNG 860Evo 250GB) but i have one question my hard drive is split into two and the one that contains the OS is currently 123/344 gb.If i migrate it my ssd would already be half...
  4. Should i remove hdd before installing windows on ssd?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should i remove hdd before installing windows on ssd?: Hi~ I'm using a laptop and i intend to reinstall windows 10 on my new ssd. Is it necessary to remove my hdd no windows installed before installing windows 10 on ssd? If yes, what is the reason of this? Thank you in advance!...
  5. Migrating Windows 10 from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating Windows 10 from HDD to SSD: Hello, I am wondering if I just could migrate just my OS to an SSD doing the migrating process. I don't want to copy my whole HDD to my new SSD. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-windows-10-from-hdd-to-ssd/411f6021-060f-4c04-84ff-9717fdf94012"
  6. Migrating from Hdd to ssd

Migrating from Hdd to ssd: Migrating from Hdd to ssd Hi , i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ????i need secure and easy software...
  7. Migrating from HDd to ssd

Migrating from HDd to ssd: Hi , i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-from-hdd-to-ssd/c2565ea0-ce8a-44b6-a828-e7cdbffa73f6
  8. Migration from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migration from hdd to ssd: Windows 10 is currently on a 1.5 Tb hdd that is almost full. I want to purchase an ssd to use as the boot/system drive. I do not want to shell out for a large sdd. I do not want to do a fresh install of windows unless I can save all of my settings and not have to reinstall...
  9. Migrating Windows 10 from an existing HDD to a new SSD

Migrating Windows 10 from an existing HDD to a new SSD: I have Installed a new WD SSD on my Asus S15 S510UN Laptop. I have been trying to identify possibilities of migrating my Windows 10 installation 'as it is' to my new WD SSD. I have tried using Acronis True Image WD Edition but am facing some issues with the installation. The...
  10. Migration to SSD/HDD system

Migration to SSD/HDD system: Hi, I have a cloned copy of my existing HDD and am considering buying (or personaly upgrading to) a new system with a SSD and HDD. Obviously the current Windows installation is on a HDD, so is it possiblethat I could I restore the cloned Windows system to a SSD and the...