Windows 10: Slow boot/shutdown sometimes & Sys Config shows a choice of OS?

Discus and support Slow boot/shutdown sometimes & Sys Config shows a choice of OS? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The PC of my Wife is suffering occasional slow shutdowns. Interestingly too, sometimes the Wi-Fi icon doesn't come on boot ups and it is very slow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Whiskey 7, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Whiskey 7 Win User

Slow boot/shutdown sometimes & Sys Config shows a choice of OS?

The PC of my Wife is suffering occasional slow shutdowns. Interestingly too, sometimes the Wi-Fi icon doesn't come on boot ups and it is very slow connecting to the internet.

Occasionally and recently on start-up we get the option of which OS we want to use on a blue screen

Windows 10 Pro on Volume 3 or
    Windows 10 Pro on Volume 1

As far as we understand we have one, W10 Pro (upgraded from W7 Ultimate) on the C drive (an SSD)
    MSCONFIG screen shot shows 2 operating systems but there is no Windows on our D drive.

Slow boot/shutdown sometimes & Sys Config shows a choice of OS? [​IMG]

Please, any help welcome.

:)

Whiskey 7, Mar 23, 2016

2. Windows 10 boot up slowly after the free upgrade from Windows 8.1

Hi Anders,

Thank you for keeping us posted on this query.

Is the Shutdown process slow every day?

Did you try the methods suggested by Syed Abdul Jabbar?

Sometimes Windows will be updating some of the important updates, or will be saving some of the changes made to the system. Hence the shutdown process will be slow.

We will take your feedback into consideration, and will work on it.

Feel free to use Feedback App installed in Windows 10 to give your valuable feedback, so that the action will be taken immediately.

Get back to us if you have queries regarding Windows, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you,

Microsoft Community.

Likhitha V, Mar 23, 2016
  3. How to troubleshoot blue screen errors in Windows 10

I have tried that but i cannot enter into safe mode it still shows the same error as "BAD SYS CONFIG"

GawthamG Dath, Mar 23, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 23, 2016
  6. Whiskey 7 Win User
    Thanks for the reply.

I must mention, the system specs here on my profile are not those of the problem PC. I can post them if required.

This computer started normally this morning. The only change I made yesterday after reading topics in here was to turn off Windows Defender (we have NAV installed) and I did remove Malwarebytes Anti-Malware some 2 weeks agon when these problems seemed to start...

Here's the screenshot as requested.

I thought to throw in file explorer screen shots to show there is no Windows on the D drive.

Whiskey 7, Mar 24, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    In MSCONFIG you can delete the Windows D: drive reference.

NavyLCDR, Mar 24, 2016
  8. Whiskey 7 Win User

OK, will do and advise.

Here are the specs for this rig.

Whiskey 7, Mar 24, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    Any peripheral connected at shutdown?

10. Whiskey 7 Win User
    No, just the standard stuff like wireless KB/mouse, USB wireless network adapter & monitor, and USB speakers. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I am just rebooting and restarting that PC to check for a fix while typing here on mine. I should be able to report back soon *Smile

Whiskey 7, Mar 24, 2016
  11. Whiskey 7 Win User
    OK, reporting now all is well as my Wife's' PC boots and closes down as it should (and used to) after 12 or so shutdowns & restarts/reboots in testing.

Thanks toaxe0 and NavyLCDR for the assist, it is appreciated

Goodness only knows where that error the appearance of 2 operating systems came from. I guess the PC was in two minds and confused a little *Confused

Cheers & marking as solved.

Whiskey 7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Slow boot/shutdown sometimes & Sys Config shows a choice of OS? - Similar Threads - Slow boot shutdown

2. laptop shutsdowns sometimes,or trys to boot shutdowns

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    laptop shutsdowns sometimes,or trys to boot shutdowns: laptop shutsdowns sometimes,or trys to boot shutdowns sometimes works ok then shuts down without warning checked battery/psu fine checked harddrive ok did event viewer found the following could someone know the problem effecting my laptop kind reagrds Log Name: System...
  3. Bad Sys Config

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bad Sys Config: My computer will not Restore. I have two dates that show, but neither one works when I try and restore. The Bad Sys Config error comes up each time I start my laptop. I have tried a few different command prompt work arounds today, nothing works. I have no idea what...
  4. Why Sys Config Error on Boot USB?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why Sys Config Error on Boot USB?: We have a computer won't boot into win10. and none of the usual fixit methods work. So we've got a bootable usb with win10 on it like they tell you to do. But when it boots from it we get the same message: system config error. Hex 1 it is when it gives a code.. That...
  5. Slow boot time to OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow boot time to OS: As the title suggests, the load time of OS is extremely long(spinning white dots i believe), about 15-25 seconds. Which makes my boot-up time from button pressed to windows screen 50~ seconds Windows is installed on SSD, and i have another HDD connected. Troubleshooting:...
  6. slow program starts, Slow boot, slow shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    slow program starts, Slow boot, slow shutdown: Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48) From switch-on to desktop start-up sound takes nearly two minutes, and after that there's still a lot of disc activity. Shutdown is equally slow. Once the system has started it takes 30 seconds after clicking on an MP3 icon for VLC...
  7. Slow boot, slow shutdown, and slow program starts.

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow boot, slow shutdown, and slow program starts.: Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48) From switch-on to desktop start-up sound takes nearly two minutes, and after that there's still a lot of disc activity. Shutdown is equally slow. Once the system has started it takes 30 seconds after clicking on an MP3 icon for VLC...
  8. slow cold boot (sometimes)

slow cold boot (sometimes): Ok, have a Sabertooth x79/3930k and an Intel 750ssd 1.2tb. Sometimes on a cold boot it will take say 15 seconds to load to desktop and sometimes over double that 30 seconds or so. Also it warm boots consistently in the 30 second range. Any help to understand the cold...
  9. slow boot/shutdown/restart

slow boot/shutdown/restart: I have a lenovo ideapad z510 with a Sandisk Ultra II 120 GB as the main disk and a second 1TB HDD instead of the DVDwr, my problem is that it takes ~ 25-30 seconds to boot/shutdown/restart according to Event Viewer, and considering the Ultra II specs that's a lot, it...
  10. Slow boot & shutdown time

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow boot & shutdown time: 10 doesn't seem to be booting very nicely. What I mean is that it seems to be having a difficult time initilizing my SSD, so upon boot I get a blank black screen for anywhere from 60-180 seconds, where the primary drive activity LED is inactive, before it actually boots. This...