Windows 10: Slow Booting Time with FastBoot enables - slowish performances

Discus and support Slow Booting Time with FastBoot enables - slowish performances in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I am posting as I have been looking for answers for a while but nothing really helped. I've had an ASUS752vw for about 1 and half years,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Galrien, May 5, 2017.

1. Galrien Win User

Slow Booting Time with FastBoot enables - slowish performances

Hello,

I am posting as I have been looking for answers for a while but nothing really helped.

I've had an ASUS752vw for about 1 and half years, equiped with 8GB of RAM, i7-6700HQ, Windows 10 and -for this matter here- UEFI, so Fast Booting is available (and enabled as far as I know).*

Yet, while I've been pretty satisfied by the computer, I've had performances issues from time to time.

One of them is the booting time. Even though I have fast boot enabled and what I think is a failry decent set-up, it takes 30-40sec after start-up to reach the password screen, and another 30-40sec to reach the desktop. Once on the desktop, it may take 5-10sec to show up the few icons I have in the task bar (Chrome, File explorer, another software). Plus, first launch of an application will always be a bit laggy.

While it is far from being super slow or anything, I would just expect the booting time to be half of those, or even faster. I don't have programs that are enabled at start-up, nor do I have (if it matters) a desktop full of files and folders. I run Kapersky (disabled upon start-up, just starting it every once in a while) from time to time, no malware/viruses what so ever.

So I am really confused, and would just like to get some advices on what can be done to improve these bootings / what may be causing these slow start-ups.

Thanks!

*Edit: if needed, HDD is HTS721010A9E630 which I think runs at 7200rpm

:)

Galrien, May 5, 2017
  2. 1AlM Win User

Windows 10 Shutdown - reboots or goes to red screen

1. No updates available - only drivers added are the ones Windows 10 added on installation

2. Power Troubleshooter - Reports no issues

3. Fastbooting - why would I want to disable this? If there's an issue with it patch it. I don't want a slow booting PC!

1AlM, May 5, 2017
  3. Malware or normal Windows Update activity?

1-If you have fast boot enabled it is never truly off. With fastboot enabled the only way to turn it off is to unplug it

2-Maintenace is set to run at 1-3am and it will boot the computer run then shutdown. You can confirm this is the case by looking in event viewer. That will tell you exactly what was done.

3-I hope you are backing up your financial data.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), May 5, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to Tenforums *Smile

Do you notice a difference between boot times after a normal shutdown compared to boot times for a restart? The former should be much quicker if fast-startup is working.

See Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

philc43, May 5, 2017
  5. Galrien Win User
    Hello and thanks *Smile

Yes indeed I had noticed, re-starts take ages. I just did a try now to give some numbers (starting both time from desktop, no application running):

Normal shut-down - startup:
    Time to shut down: 13sec
    Time startup to password: 23sec
    Time password to desktop: 30sec (instant task bar)

Restart:
    Time to shut down: 55sec
    Time startup to password: 1min10sec
    Time password to desktop: 33sec (task bar: +7sec)
    Bonus: ASUS loading circle is quitte laggy in this set-up.

Again I know that these are decent numbers, it is just that I would expect startups of 10-15seconds for this kind of specs, not minutes.

Maybe I'm just mistaken?

Cheers

Galrien, May 5, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    Those times do seem longer than I would expect. My time from power on to desktop is 25-30s with fast-startup and I have an even older system with lower spec than yours.

Task manager does some boot analysis on its start tab. See mine for comparison, I have only disabled one of the startup tasks.

Slow Booting Time with FastBoot enables - slowish performances [​IMG]

philc43, May 5, 2017
  7. Galrien Win User
    Hi,

Yes I had a look there as well, and as you can see (sorry, french *Smile ) all but one are disabled. Yet, it is slow-ish.

Slow Booting Time with FastBoot enables - slowish performances [​IMG]

Galrien, May 5, 2017
  8. Galrien Win User

Hello again,

It may be worth noting that I bought this computer from a french company (LDLC), but am now in Switzerland, were the power plugs are different (therefore an adaptator was required). Yet I don't think that would have any impact, as they provide the same current (230V - 50Hz). Just noting it in case someone says "yes it actually does have an impact".

Galrien, May 5, 2017
  9. philc43 Win User
    philc43, May 5, 2017
  10. Galrien Win User
    Hello, thanks for your input.

The Safe Booting does not change anything (one could have thought so given the fairly high amount of services - mainly Intel/Nvidia/Asus stuff - I have). It is worth noting that I restored my Hibernate power setting just in case it had been messed up, and that now the time "from power to password" ever so slightly diminished (about 15sec now).

However it now takes 43-45sec (astonishinguly regular from test to test!) from the password to desktop, whether with all services or none.

I can go along with this 1-min boot, but it just feels sad when you know it has the ability to power up much faster.

Cheers

Galrien, May 5, 2017
  11. philc43 Win User
    The boot time from power to password seems about right to me. The 45s between password and desktop is definitely too long. It should be about 5s. I'm thinking that there must be something in your user profile that is corrupt or causing problems. As a test you could create a new user, give the user admin privileges and then log in with this new user and see if it is any faster. If it is you would have the option of continuing to use it and moving over your files, if it is not faster then you can simply delete the new user.

If you need tutorials to help with this:

Add User Account in Windows 10

Change Account Type in Windows 10

Delete User Account in Windows 10

philc43, May 5, 2017
  12. Galrien Win User
    Dear Phil,

I had the same idea just after I posted my reply yesterday. I went to create another account and ended up on a couple of issues:
    - session not loading: was corrected by creating a new Default folder in C:
    - Start Menu not showing when clicking on it on the new user session

I did an sfc /scannow (back on my classic account) which found a couple of corrupted files and corrected them, manually checked for Windows Updates and was given straight away an update to Windows Creator (I think that's the name, a very big update). That's the state where I am right now, I'll continue investigating now that the update has installed.

Galrien, May 6, 2017
  13. philc43 Win User

OK, that's a big update, for sure *Smile

Effectively you will be doing an in-place upgrade so it will find new drivers and basically create a new windows directory leaving your old one in a separate folder called windows.old. It will copy over your old profile though so if there was anything wrong with it, it could carry over into your new version. If so you may need to go through the procedure of creating a new account again.

Also note that for the first few start ups on the new Creators update the boot timings will be longer as the new system sorts itself out with background processes.

philc43, May 6, 2017
  14. Galrien Win User
    So, so far it seems to work now:

Power to password: ~10sec
    Password to desktop: ~10sec
    Then once on the desktop, the disk is at 100% for a few seconds, then it's fine.

So it seems like I had been a bit off on the updates. I am and was on automated updates, but I guess if some files were corrupted that messed the whole thing.

I'll work out if I can enable back some programs at start-up, but otherwise thanks for the support! I'll live the thread open if I get other issues related, otherwhise I'll mark as solved soon.

Galrien, May 6, 2017
  15. philc43 Win User
    Good plan, glad it seems to be sorted *Smile

philc43, May 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Slow Booting Time with FastBoot enables - slowish performances - Similar Threads - Slow Booting FastBoot

2. Slow boot time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow boot time: Recently everytime I have booted up my asus laptop, the normal asus screen comes up and then the screen goes black as it should then it stays black for some time and if you move your mouse the cursor appears on the black screen and after some time the cursor icon turns to...
  3. W10 slow boot and poor performance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    W10 slow boot and poor performance: Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your time and dedication. Originally, my problem is stated in the title. I've been stuck with this for months. Recently I found this forum and tried to fix it for 264542th time (not kidding, just exaggerating) by following steps given...
  4. Slow boot time

Slow boot time: submitted by /u/Verix- [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iid2sx/slow_boot_time/
  5. Slow boot time to OS

Slow boot time to OS: As the title suggests, the load time of OS is extremely long(spinning white dots i believe), about 15-25 seconds. Which makes my boot-up time from button pressed to windows screen 50~ seconds Windows is installed on SSD, and i have another HDD connected. Troubleshooting:...
  6. Win10 Slow boot time. Help debug with Windows Performance Analyzer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 Slow boot time. Help debug with Windows Performance Analyzer: My win10 has a long boot time -approx. 1 minute till boot main path ends. I am trying to figure out what causes this long boot delay. I also use Acronis boot manager. This is a pre boot sequence which happens before windows boot starts. The recording I refer to happened after...
  7. Slow Boot time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow Boot time: Downloaded BootRacer as my Boot time was extremely slow. Over the past few days the Boot times have changed from around 49.578 secs to 329.593 secs despite cleaning C drive of Temp files, Disk cleaning, emptied recycle bin. Every time I try to make PC run faster, it has...
  8. slow boot Windows performance recorder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    slow boot Windows performance recorder: hp laptop 15-bs0xx intel celeron n3060 8 GB DDR3 Ram 1 TB HD My startup time is 2.30 I've done the diagnostic tests. Computer is OK defrag the drive removed startup programs updated drivers I ran Windows performance recorder and have uploaded the file here. I had a...
  9. Slow boot & shutdown time

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow boot & shutdown time: 10 doesn't seem to be booting very nicely. What I mean is that it seems to be having a difficult time initilizing my SSD, so upon boot I get a blank black screen for anywhere from 60-180 seconds, where the primary drive activity LED is inactive, before it actually boots. This...
  10. Enabling Fastboot causes Explorer to malfunction

in Windows 10 Support
    Enabling Fastboot causes Explorer to malfunction: Hello! I legitimately cannot solve this myself and I require further assistance on this matter. If I enable the setting "Fastboot" as seen here (currently disabled): [img] My entire explorer interface experiences the following issues, these occur directly...