Windows 10: [Solved] Recover Windows onto new SSD

Discus and support [Solved] Recover Windows onto new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Unable to recover your PC. The system drive is too small." On the recovery drive there are 2 xml files which contain variables related to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DSMB, Mar 24, 2017.

1. DSMB Win User

[Solved] Recover Windows onto new SSD

Original post:

Got an SSD for my ASUS G750 laptop.

I probably could do a clean install from from an ISO, but being a laptop I want to do what would be a factory reset to preserve all the drivers.

I'm not interested in cloning because I want a clean install.

I have a 16 GB USB recovery drive created with the laptop.

I boot into recovery options and choose to reset PC. I get an error that the drive is too small. The only drives connected are the SSD and USB.

It's a 275 GB HDD. I formatted it with DISKPART to NTFS while in the recovery mode. There was a small 100 MB partition 0 that I don't want to touch (doesn't show in disk management so it's probably hidden for a reason). Edit: formatted a new primary partition to NTFS (partition 1) which filed remaining drive, leaving partition 0 intact. /Edit

This windows 10 recovery media does not give me an option to select the drive to install Windows on.

So, if any kind soul could give me some advice or directions on how to perform the recovery onto the SSD, that would be great.

Cheers.

Edit: I just remembered that I had to initialise the drive at first (I did this from disk management in Windows when I had both the original HDD and SSD connected (laptop has 2 HHD bays). I initialised it to GPT. I think this process is responsible for the small hidden partition 0.

Could it be possible that I need to change some flags or re-initialise the HDD (or something else) to be able to recover Windows onto it?

:)

2. cb_Largo Win User

Windows 10 Mail Notification is the Default Beep and I can't change it

After finding out Windows 10 had more corruption than I first realized, I did a clean install of the latest version of Windows 10 onto a new SSD, which solved all problems that I know of.

cb_Largo, Mar 24, 2017
  3. Installing Additional SSD & Want To Move Windows 10 (pro) Onto It

Ok it's installing Windows 10 onto the new installed SSD now. I've unplugged the other SSD that had the OS on it.

JasonMorley1874, Mar 24, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, the way you're going about that doesn't really make a lot of sense and certainly isn't doable as such, unless I've completely misunderstood, which is quite possible.

If you want to transfer your OS onto a new SSD, do what you want with your HDD, and then:

a. Image your C: partition (Macrium Reflect (free) to external disk
    b. Configure AHCI in your BIOS and clean install onto your unformatted or blank SSD having removed your HDD
    c. Replace your new C: with that from the image you created
    d. Run startup repair.

Your concern about drivers may be overdone unless your laptop is old- given that your disk is relatively small, that may be so. I have a laptop, bought with no O/S, and clean installed win 10 onto it. No driver issues.

Anyway, the above procedure would tell you that- and even give you a choice as to which way to go (whether to simply stay with the clean installation).

dalchina, Mar 24, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do you still have the original OS installation on the HDD and can you boot back into it? Your post is very confusing. If you have a recovery drive made, you should be restoring to a completely blank SSD with no partitions on it. There is no need to initialize it first.

If you want a clean install, then you should boot back into the OS on the hard drive, export the drivers using the dism /export-driver command to something like a USB flash drive. Then do the clean install and re-install the drivers for any missing hardware from the exported drivers.

NavyLCDR, Mar 24, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Mar 24, 2017
  7. DSMB Win User
    With my old Windows 7 laptop I'm sure I could use the recovery DVDs I created to reinstall windows from scratch. Part of the options involved in the set-up included selecting the HDD and partitions and other related options. This windows 10 recovery includes no such options.

My laptop is about 2 years old. And yeah, older laptops have had driver hassles, hence my desire to factory reset.

What I can do is the a 'reset', and create an image from that. I just thought I wouldn't have to bother with that if the windows 10 recovery was at least as capable as what I've used before.

When the SSD is first installed, it does not show in My Computer. It shows in disk management as simply unallocated. When I try to do anything with it in disk management, it MUST be initialised first. This involved selecting whether it will be GPT or MBR.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll still look further into it.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

If you want to do a clean install, you don't do that from within Windows. You do that by booting from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD.

If you want to do a factory restore from a Recovery drive, you don't do that from within Windows either. You do that by booting from your Recovery drive (USB flash drive or DVD).

Thus, to do either of those, you only need the SSD to show up in disk management as a physical drive, you do not need to initialize it or partition it. The clean install process or the factory restore process started by booting from a USB flash drive or DVD will do that for you. Setting the wrong partitioning type (MBR v. GPT) and setting up incorrect partitions on the drive may interfere with a clean install - although a factory restore should just wipe the drive at the beginning of the process anyway.

NavyLCDR, Mar 25, 2017
  9. DSMB Win User
    I know, that's what I'm doing.

This is also what I thought. Either way, the recovery drive is not allowing me to install Windows. The lack options doesn't make it easy to troubleshoot either.

I thought you should be able to use a recovery drive to install Windows onto a new HDD, afterall, HDD failure is one reason you would create a recovery drive.

Or am I supposed to also create a system image? Pretty sure with Windows 7 recovery USB/DVDs just stored a copy of the hidden recovery partition, which was everything needed to install Windows.

Wouldn't a system image include all the stuff I've installed which I don't want?

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    A system image would contain all of the previous installed programs, user accounts, and user data stored on the same drive. So, yes, you are correct it would include all the stuff you do not want.

NavyLCDR, Mar 25, 2017
  11. DSMB Win User
    Worked it out. Updated original post with solution.

Thema:

1. [Solved] Recover Windows onto new SSD - Similar Threads - Solved Recover onto

2. Installing Windows10 onto new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows10 onto new SSD: I recently built a new PC, and used the SSD from my prior build in this one so I had Windows and didn't lose any files. I have another PC fully built, but no operation system installed on the brand new SSD for it. Do I NEED to download the ISO files onto a USB Drive and...
  3. BSOD when trying to install windows 10 onto a new ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when trying to install windows 10 onto a new ssd: I put a new SSD in my PC and attempted to install Windows 10.I selected 64 bit and I then see 'loading files'Then BSOD system_thread_exception_not_handled.I am then in a loop of restarts.I removed my graphics card using onboard graphics and wireless adaptor but this made no...
  4. Can i get windows 10 onto the new replacement ssd?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can i get windows 10 onto the new replacement ssd?: I am replacing a broken hd on a old HP Pavilion laptop. The broken hd was upgraded free to windows 10. The drive appears to be ruined. Can i get windows 10 onto a new ssd? Mark...
  5. unplugged my SSD and HDD, installed windows onto a new SSD, unplugged new SSD and plugged...

unplugged my SSD and HDD, installed windows onto a new SSD, unplugged new SSD and plugged...: submitted by /u/aaronjusmith [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jmrku0/unplugged_my_ssd_and_hdd_installed_windows_onto_a/
  6. Recover Windows 10 on new SSD

Recover Windows 10 on new SSD: I have an HP notebook that came with Windows 10 & I have recently created HP recovery media. How can I re-install the licensed Windows 10 that came on my laptop on a replacement drive SSD if my HP Recovery media fails?...
  7. Reinstalling Windows onto a new motherboard with an ssd that has windows on it already

Reinstalling Windows onto a new motherboard with an ssd that has windows on it already: I had windows installed on an ssd and i exchanged the motherboard for another one. i rebuilt my pc with the new mobo and it wouldn’t load past bios despite not wiping my ssd. i put my usb key with windows on it to reinstall it and it asked me which partition to install it...
  8. Unable to install windows onto new SSD

Unable to install windows onto new SSD: Hello. I have been trying to install windows to my brand-new SSD for 4-5 days now. I installed Ubuntu onto it first, since I plan on having a dual-boot system. (Which I've done before) The first issue is that the Windows Media Creation Tool keeps failing to download/burn to...
  9. trying to installl/recover to new SSD

trying to installl/recover to new SSD: I have a USB recovery drive made from windows 10 recover tool (Create a Recovery drive) I installed an SSD (it is smaller, and not formatted) When I boot from the USB it tells me the system drive is too small. Is it because the system drive is not formatted/partitoned....
  10. Install Win10 ISO onto new SSD drive?

Install Win10 ISO onto new SSD drive?: Hi All, A few days ago I got a new Win8.1 laptop that I smoothly upgraded to Win10. This laptop now shows as being registered with Microsoft. I just now purchased a 250GB SSD that will arrive in a week or so. I want to install Win10 on this new drive. A friend just gave me a...