Windows 10: Some icons are missing in settings panel!

Discus and support Some icons are missing in settings panel! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! I had some trouble with fonts (some of them were not readable and got unusable message). I spent a full day to reset and fix things as they were,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ric0, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Ric0 Win User

Some icons are missing in settings panel!

Hi!
    I had some trouble with fonts (some of them were not readable and got unusable message). I spent a full day to reset and fix things as they were, but at the end I discovered, that the Win 10 settings panels are missing some icons (they are displayed as a box and seems like a font missing there) I tried several options: I did a reset to the the system fontcache, unpacked and copy/pasted the (windows/Fonts) folder from installation cd but nothing happened. Regedit seems to show the correct amount of installed fonts (at the moment reinstalled system fonts and nothing more). So my knowledge is over now and I would like to know if there is a possibility to fix it... Here's the screen:
    Dropbox - W10

For 20 years I fixed all my computers myself, but win 10 finally got it!

:)

Ric0, Aug 3, 2017

2. SOME desktop icons are missing, but some still there

is this still ongoing?

Yuri Nathan, Aug 3, 2017
  3. SOME desktop icons are missing, but some still there

Thanks for this but it still didn't change anything - this solution would seem to be for ALL the icons disappearing and not showing. In my case, most of them weren't appearing BUT SOME STILL SHOWED. So it wasn't like a 'Hide' had been turned on.

BUT when I opened a folder, all files appeared in the 'Desktop' folder, as opposed to just visibly on the actual Desktop.

Since then, they've reappeared. But this has happened before. Just wondering what I can do if it happens again.

Thanks

Andy

AndyBarnesBW, Aug 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I'm wondering what the underlying cause of that was.

I suggest you start by doing some absolutely routine checks.

Check your disk - download Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI
    To post a screenshot use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon
    (If unsure, see the tutorial in the Tutorial section - search screenshot)

Make sure all disks are reported as good.
    If not, do not continue, and post back .

And with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

And then from an admin command or powershell prompt run
    sfc /scannow

and post the summary result.

If all that's ok, please create a new user for test purposes and see if you see the same thing then.

If you do, an in-place upgrade repair install would probably fix it.

For interest (I can't tell if anything may be relevant to you)
    missing icons on settings choose icons to appear on taskbar Solved - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Aug 3, 2017
  5. Ric0 Win User
    Did all the harddisk tests: system SSD is in excellent condition.

Well, I roughly guess what caused the font problems (different font manager programs didn't get along probably).

So it seems to be related to the fonts after all. What I did before it happened: I unpacked Windows/Fonts folder from installation cd and copy/pasted it to system Fonts folder overwriting all fonts there. So I thought at least but... It seems that the system did not overwrite the font files but gave them just a new name like AgencyR_0.ttf during the font installations. The old ones are still there but hidden somehow. I think that causes the conflict. Now Regedit shows the 0-s and 1-s after the font names as well.

Any ideas how to fix that?

Ric0, Aug 3, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Well, normally you would install fonts (rt click, Install), but that should have been ok. Did you do that as Admin?

dalchina, Aug 3, 2017
  7. Ric0 Win User
    Yes, I'm admin of my computer. I tried to reset fonts to system fonts only. I cleaned up font list in Regedit but I was unsure about all the fonts that the system needed were there after my actions. So I found a forum solution that suggested the overwriting move.

I'm usually using Corel's Bitstream Font Navigator to install fonts so that system font folder stays intact.

I'm thinking about booting some PE system in order to sort the font folder out... After all there's always possibility to reinstall the OS.

I'll keep you posted.

Ric0, Aug 3, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

You've probably seen this:

Some icons are missing in settings panel! [​IMG]

dalchina, Aug 3, 2017
  9. Ric0 Win User
    I got it fixed!
    I have seen font settings restore option and tried it but it did not fix anything. It seems not to work as people think it would.

I used Gandalf’s Win10PE and booted it from USB stick. As I correctly assumed, the system (Windows/Fonts) folder had renamed duplicate font files in it (original ones were hidden even if you had folder options set show hidden files). Now the trick in windows 10 is, that the system fonts were not deletable even with booted Gandalf system. Only copied and renamed fonts were deleted. So I did delete copied fonts. Booting windows again resulted messed up fonts but i felt relief as I saw it. Next I opened Regedit and manually fixed the font names by deleting _0 and _1 from the font names. Everything went back to normal... almost. Because in Regedit the installed number of font will not match the font amount you see in your system. As I said some system fonts with numeric names are hidden in Fonts folder even if show hidden files is enabled. If you delete the font key in Regedit it kind of disappears from system Fonts folder but it will be still there. So therefore it's very hard to set all the font keys correctly. I think there are some small failures still there but most programs are showing only default system fonts, which is what I wanted in the first place. Only Photoshop behaves (even after cleaning the font cache) strangely with few system fonts.

So the page that got me into this trouble: Windows 10 Pro Default Fonts Download | withsteps.com

suggests wrong methods for font replacing/resetting and system font replacing should be better avoided (it's probably possible if you take the ownership of the Fonts folder).

Ric0, Aug 5, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Well done... and to give yourself a quick means to recover without arcane technical trickery, I recommend you start using disk imaging routinely, which we strongly recommend.

E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for disk image sets.

You can recover from ransomware, a failed or unbootable or corrupt disk, and even user error. Images also act as backups.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Some icons are missing in settings panel! - Similar Threads - icons are missing

2. Some missing icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some missing icon: As the title said, my notification and WIFI icon were missing and displayed as rectangles. It happened after I restore system checkpoint.Any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-missing-icon/03b4d8aa-cd5f-428f-b43d-5a809c7416d3
  3. Some missing icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some missing icon: As the title said, my notification and WIFI icon were missing and displayed as rectangles. It happened after I restore system checkpoint.Any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-missing-icon/03b4d8aa-cd5f-428f-b43d-5a809c7416d3
  4. some icons missed

some icons missed: Recently, I have deleted some fonts from my system and now some icons missed such as icons in task manager next to run new task, end task and etc. and display like a square. I guess deleting some fonts causes this problem....
  5. some icons missed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    some icons missed: Recently, I have deleted some fonts from my system and now some icons missed such as icons in task manager next to run new task, end task and etc. and display like a square. I guess deleting some fonts causes this problem....
  6. Some settings are missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some settings are missing: Hello, recently, in December I got this windows 10 computer, it was working fine but around 20 months ago, in my settings, some settings started going missing, now I can’t change my resolution, use admin or anything else, I was wondering if there was a way to restore my...
  7. Some settings are missing

Some settings are missing: Hello, recently, in December I got this windows 10 computer, it was working fine but around 20 months ago, in my settings, some settings started going missing, now I can’t change my resolution, use admin or anything else, I was wondering if there was a way to restore my...
  8. Some settings are missing

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Bluetooth Icon missing on Quick Settings panel in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Bluetooth Icon missing on Quick Settings panel in Windows 11: [ATTACH]The Quick Settings panel in Windows 11 lets you access commonly used apps and settings. You can use it to turn on or off Night Light, Wi-Fi, battery saver, mobile hotspot, change keyboard layout, etc. The Bluetooth icon is also there to turn on/off Bluetooth. However,...
  10. Some icon is missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some icon is missing: In my HP Laptop some icon is missing in snip & sketch and windows security app and other icon is missing in action centre like network, nearby sharing & night light. In my laptop I am running Windows 10 Pro, version 1809 & OS build 17763.379 Please, solve my problem as...