Windows 10: Some notification area icons go missing

Discus and support Some notification area icons go missing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just recently I've noticed that some of the icons in the notification area disappear. The come back after a reboot but then disappear again at a later... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hairy Scot, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Some notification area icons go missing

Just recently I've noticed that some of the icons in the notification area disappear.
    The come back after a reboot but then disappear again at a later stage.
    I've run the Reset Notification Area batch file from Brink's tutorial but the problem keeps recurring.
    I also experience occasional "Windows Explorer has a problem" failures.
    Are the two related?
    How can I fix this?

:)

Hairy Scot, Apr 1, 2016
  2. Bruce Hagen, Apr 1, 2016
  3. Missing Volume Icon in Systray (Notification Area)

Refer to my question dated 21 Sept. on "Missing Network (WiFi) Icon from the Notification Area" after upgrading my laptop computer to Windows 10, the problem was solved by method 1 from your answer, i.e. by Troubleshooting ...

After then, the problem of missing Network Icon in the Notification Area shifted to the Volume Icon. Every time I start/restart my laptop computer, the Volume Icon was missing from the Notification Area.

I tried to find out the problem by entering the Task Bar Menu > Notification Area > Customize ..., I found that the switch of the Volume only turned the Power icon On or Off instead of switching the Volume Icon itself. Both the Power and Volume switches
    did the same thing, i.e. switched the Power Icon On or Off.

Later I found that after I turned the computer to sleep mode and recovered it from sleep mode, the Volume Icon appeared in the Notification Area and then the switch of Volume Icon in "Customer..." functioned properly. However, this problem of missing Volume
    Icon persists every time I start/restart the computer. I tried to fix it by "Troubleshooting", but it reported that no problem was found. I tried to update the Volume driver at Device Manager, but it reported that the driver was the most update one.

Regards

KS

Kai SunChan, Apr 1, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Some notification area icons go missing

There are several Notification icons, which one(s) are you referring to ?

If you are talking about icons such as Volume, Network, Clock etc, have a look at this tutorial.
    It is applicable to Windows 10.
    I used it several times to restore my Volume and Network icons. I still have their reg files on my desktop. They come in handy when the icons go missing again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-disable.html

Use Option Two
    Pick the Download you need and then follow the steps from #11 to #15.

davidhk, Apr 2, 2016
  5. The system icons are unaffected. The ones that disappear are those of other applications like Brother Scanner Control Centre, Malwarebytes, etc.

As I mentioned, I have a suspicion that the cause lies with Windows Explorer.
    I have tried all the usual ploys like Scannow etc but I still get the occasional Windows Explorer failure and the disappearing icons.
    Perhaps a re-install or a reset/refresh is required.

Hairy Scot, Apr 2, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Sorry about that.
    Had I known what icons were missing in Notification area, I would not have posted that reply.

Hopefully, the following is relevant to your situation :
    If you remember a date when the icons were NOT missing, do a system restore and pick that date or earlier as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

davidhk, Apr 2, 2016
  7. Thanks for trying to help.
    Ever since Windows 8 I have given up on system restore.
    However I do use other methods, but since a reboot resolves the problem (albeit only till the next recurrence) it's not worth the hassle of any kind of system restore.

Hairy Scot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Some notification area icons go missing

1. Some notification area icons go missing - Similar Threads - notification area icons

2. Internet Icon Missing from Notification Area

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Icon Missing from Notification Area: I have Windows 11, it's up to date, on my desktop computer. I have an internet connection through Comcast. I think it goes through a router with the cable tv, but I'm not sure. Network Connection Details says "IntelR Ethernet Connection 7I219-V"I've always had an icon for the...
  3. Internet Icon Missing from Notification Area

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Icon Missing from Notification Area: I have Windows 11, it's up to date, on my desktop computer. I have an internet connection through Comcast. I think it goes through a router with the cable tv, but I'm not sure. Network Connection Details says "IntelR Ethernet Connection 7I219-V"I've always had an icon for the...
  4. Notification Area Icons Missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notification Area Icons Missing: Most of the previous icons I had in my Notification Area are gone. I've tried resetting them in TaskBar Settings with no luck. Have also tried resetting Windows Explorer. Nothing works! Help!...
  5. Unwanted icons in the notification area

Unwanted icons in the notification area: Some programs insist on putting their icon in the notification tray, and then the company uses that "feature" for advertising in relentless pop up notifications. This is not an appropriate use of the notification tray, nor should have Microsoft allowed such program behavior...
  6. Taskbar notification area icons missing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar notification area icons missing: Hello, can somebody help me please, some icons are "missing" from notification area, their visibility is hidden, I tried basic things to fix it and it wont work, please somebody :( https://prnt.sc/s0vj07 - next to volume icon there must be network icon and other icons too......
  7. notification area sound icon

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    notification area sound icon: Windows 10 on Bootcamp - Notification area sound icon does not control sound, any ideas please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notification-area-sound-icon/4cf1a029-4624-41fc-88d5-8f22ea492241
  8. icon in notification area

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    icon in notification area: my icon in notification area has grows legs and left it is missing . how do I get it back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/icon-in-notification-area/d449855c-35f5-4971-adc1-47e795376db8
  9. Missing Icons inside Notification Area

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing Icons inside Notification Area: Hello I had the Arabic version of Windows 10 that came with a laptop so I installed the English version on it but I encountered a problem with my Notification Area (System Tray) some icon go missing inside the system tray and it always happens whenever I wake my laptop...
  10. Notification Area Icons location

Notification Area Icons location: Could not find "Notification Area Icons" in "All Control Panel Items" for Windows 10, but I could find it under Settings-System-Notifications. Is that normal for Windows 10? How can I add it in the "All Control Panel Items"? Thanks 42364