Windows 10: Sort Files in folders

Discus and support Sort Files in folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win 10 won't let me move photo files in a folder. Help please*Mad 51885 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RobnFran, May 30, 2016.

1. RobnFran Win User

Sort Files in folders

Win 10 won't let me move photo files in a folder. Help please*Mad

:)

RobnFran, May 30, 2016
  2. gvm7777 Win User

sort folders and files in explorer

this procedure sorts files by type and then by date within type. I believe I remember correctly that with Win 7, I could have the folders shown at the top (ie first), then everything else (regardless of type) shown beneath the folders in date order. That
    is what I would like to replicate .... Greg

gvm7777, May 30, 2016
  3. gvm7777 Win User
    sort folders and files in explorer

I've read posts that relate to this but not exactly what I want to do.

How do I sort the folders and files so that folders appear at the top sorted alphabetically, then files sorted by latest first? It used to be easy but with Windows 10 I can't work it out! TIA .... Greg

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

gvm7777, May 30, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Sort Files in folders

That doesn't say much.

It depends upon how you want to move them. If working in a single Folder you can change the view to Details then click the heading of each column to change the lineup. If wanting to change the lineup by name you probably will have to rename some of the files to fit the scheme you desire.

Berton, May 30, 2016
  5. RobnFran Win User
    In Win 7 I could rearrange the layout of photo files into any desired order within the folder, Win 10 won't let me do that.

RobnFran, May 30, 2016
  6. ARC
    Arc Win User
    I can do everything in windows 10 that I could do in windows 7. What is your desired order?

7. RobnFran Win User
    No particular order I just want to have the ability to move photos in an order that suits me at the time when in Large Icons view as I was previously able to do in W7. It does seem as if I can change the order of photo files when in the Details view, but not in Large Icons View. One would have thought that it's not really a complicated request . Help appreciated plse

RobnFran, May 31, 2016
  8. Kyhi Win User

Sort Files in folders

while your large picture icons are displayed - open the top ribbon by pressing the V right side of ribbon..
    Then click SORT BY - there you can select how to sort and add additional sort features..

9. In addition to Kyhi's use the view ribbon suggestion, you can also right click an open area of the pane to expose the context menu. View, Sort by, and Group by (Libraries also have Arrange by).

Slartybart, May 31, 2016
  10. RobnFran Win User
    Thank you, regretfully I must not be expressing myself clearly: Previously in W7 when I opened a Photo folder in large icon view, so that all the photos from that folder were showing, I was able to click on a photo from (for example) the bottom of the display and move it to, (for example) the top of the display or to any location in the image display, It would then stay there, not in any "sort by" protocol but just because I had randomly inserted it to the new location in that folder. I hope that I'm making things clearer. Many thanks for assistance

RobnFran, May 31, 2016
  11. Slartybart, May 31, 2016
  12. All I do is either drag and drop where I want them, or number them say 1 to 100 in each folder and they will stay there until I either delete them or renumber them.

hTconeM9user, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Sort Files in folders

1. Sort Files in folders - Similar Threads - Sort Files folders

2. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  3. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  4. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Sort files in selected folders?

Sort files in selected folders?: Hi,I'd like to be able to sort files in highlighted folders so not globally rather than have to go into each folder separately and sort them?Is this possible with windows 10 or is there an App for this ?Example 1 Movie folderFOLDERS sorted by NAMEFILES in folders sorted by...
  6. Sorting files within folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting files within folders: Hi, how to permanently add an option to be able to sort "by type" and also "by dimension" inside all folders? submitted by /u/DarkGladir [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mq6hhf/sorting_files_within_folders/
  7. Folder/File sorting in file explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Folder/File sorting in file explorer: I have changed the "view' option many times but still can't accomplish what I want. In all cases I want to view folders first, sorted alphabetically and THEN followed by files sorted alphabetically. I don't want any of that A-H Or I-S bull crap. I just want to see my folders...
  8. Sorting files and folders numerically

Sorting files and folders numerically: Hi, I want to sort the files and folders numerically on my Windows 10 OS. If i give the name '01.Abc' to a .doc and '02.Edf' to a folder then the folder is showing first and the doc as second in order. Please refer the screenshot. I want '01.Abc' shown first and '02.Edf'...
  9. Sort files and folders together

Sort files and folders together: I would like to sort files and folders together (alphabetically for example). So after an extensive search, I found plenty of old threads dating from years ago about people trying to achieve the same stuff in Windows Explorer. Examples:...
  10. Sort files in selected folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort files in selected folders: Hi, i sort files by opening the folder then right click sort by name(descending) is there a way when i select several folders to sort the files in each folder by name(descending) in one click? 81188