Windows 10: Spring Update Wi/Fi & Ethernet concern

Discus and support Spring Update Wi/Fi & Ethernet concern in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Temporary removal of pagefile.sys is a new one for me.... It's a personal suggestion, something I do when I want to make a system image. The built-in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Bree, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Bree New Member

Spring Update Wi/Fi & Ethernet concern

It's a personal suggestion, something I do when I want to make a system image. The built-in system imaging (stupidly) includes pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys in the system image. As pagefile.sys is typically the same size as the installed RAM it saves a significant amount of space. Can't say I've ever noticed any effect on the system, everything still seems to work normally without a swapfile. Task Manager still says I'm nowhere near using all of my 4GB of RAM.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
  2. clayto Win User

For a few months I have had an annoying problem with my internet connection (both Ethernet & WiFi) which keeps dropping, usually several times in an hour. I have tried but not found solutions. With the help of a Gadget I am normally able to switch it back on quickly with a couple of clicks, so it has not been a major issue --- but I am now concerned that the dropouts might cause problems with the pending Spring Update. Is this a real concern, or will the update proceed OK despite any (hopefully) brief interruptions?

:)

clayto, Apr 17, 2018
  3. lacrumb Win User
    WIFI ISSUE

In Settings, Network & Internet are you looking at Status, or Wi-Fi, or Ethernet?

lacrumb, Apr 17, 2018
  4. lacrumb Win User

Task manager fail to show network usage

If you just want to how much you have used recently go Settings, Network & Internet, Data usage.

This computer says 25.7MB Wi-Fi, 1.99GB Ethernet.

My Desktop says 0.18MB Wi-Fi and 19.68GB Ethernet.

And this is for the last 30 days.

lacrumb, Apr 17, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    Allowing windows update to manage the install of the Spring Creators Update should (in theory) keep retrying to download the update in the background until all the required files have been downloaded successfully. Only then would it begin the install. Intermittent connection would be a delay, but not stop the update installing.

For the automatic update through windows update you would have to wait until the SCU is offered to your machine. As before, the rollout will be in stages and your machine may not get the SCU until some months after the start of the rollout. In past rollouts, machines with known issues for particular hardware have been blocked by MS from receiving the update until a fix has been put in place.

If you want to be certain that interruptions to you internet connectivity can't interfere with the install, then you can manually install the update. Once the SCU has been released you can use the Media Creation Tool to make install media as an ISO file or on USB. Once you know you have successfully created the install media you can use it to perform an in-place upgrade to the SCU. The steps are describe in this tutorial.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

You can do this at any time after the launch, but this side-steps any of the MS blocks for known hardware issues. You may wish to wait until windows update says your machine is ready for the SCU, then upgrade manually.

6. clayto Win User
    Thank you for the useful information and advice, which confirms what I was hoping for. I will wait for the update to be offered. My remaining concern is that I have read that a minimum of 20 Gb is required, for my 64 bit / 64 GB (nominal) small hybrid device. Despite continually cleaning and much else it is now hovering just below 20 GB. In the past 8 to 10 GB minimum has been OK so maybe the 20 GB is a bit generous. I have not had much trouble with updating, the update options seem better than was the case a couple of years ago.

clayto, Apr 17, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    For small drives, Setup can ask you to provide external storage. The options available to do that may be more flexible with a manual update, but as I don't have a small drive I've no experience to call on. More details in this Microsoft Forum Article...

How to Upgrade to the latest Windows 10 Feature Update on a Drive with Limited Space

Some tips to free up space that you might not have thought of. Turn off hibernation while you upgrade. That will remove the hibefil.sys file. You may not think you are using hibernation, but if Fast Startup is enabled you will have a hibefil.sys. In a Command Prompt (Admin) type:
    POWERCFG /HIBERNATE OFF

If you have 4GB or more of RAM, then you could also remove pagefile.sys until the upgrade is complete. That's Step 7 in this tutorial.
    Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10

8. clayto Win User

Thanks for the suggestions. Although I have fewer problems with this issue than in the past I am always on the lookout for more that might be done. I have follow up the link, very interesting and worth further study. Temporary removal of pagefile.sys is a new one for me. At one time there seemed to be no advice for the increasing number of 'small storage devices' such as my hybrid (which has twice the GB size of its processor which still ran W10). My strategy for my 64 (really 60) GB / 64 bit hybrid --- which replaced a 32 GB / 32 bit --- has the following features:

Hibernation and Fast Start has never been enabled on my machines
    Daily cleaning with CC, Disc Cleanup and half a dozen similar apps which always find more MB to remove
    Every app / program, which allows it, is installed on or moved to the integral SD card (drive D)
    Virtually all files, documents, images are held on external USB drives or on OneDrive
    Keeping only one Restore Point (I rarely use it anyway)
    Removing Windows Old as soon as I am confident about the update
    Removing duplicate files with CCs facility, which is less thorough but easier than others I have tried
    Using an external 'high' capacity USB hard drive for backups, which I think are less necessary now, along with File History which does not work well anyway
    Always having an empty (though not necessary) USB flash drive with ample storage in port 3 (E)
    and now, temporary removal of the page file

As you can see I have done quite a lot on this, it is the only thing on which I have any expertise (gained from trial & error) which might be of us to other, so I will add my list to the MS Forum article.

clayto, Apr 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Spring Update Wi/Fi & Ethernet concern - Similar Threads - Spring Update Ethernet

2. Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet: Wi-Fi not working when using Ethernet cable. It says: “Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. It mentions how my data provider may have a limit on my data but can it remove my Wi-Fi connection to my PC? Idk pls help...
  3. Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet: Wi-Fi not working when using Ethernet cable. It says: “Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. It mentions how my data provider may have a limit on my data but can it remove my Wi-Fi connection to my PC? Idk pls help...
  4. Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wi-fi fine, but not so with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-fi fine, but not so with Ethernet: Hi,For the last week and a bit I have been having trouble accessing sites, or even having the internet connected via ethernet cabling.I have changed the cables over three times for new ones, with no resultant change.The PC works fine when wi-fi is enabled strangely. Same...
  6. Wi-fi and ethernet on same LAN?

Wi-fi and ethernet on same LAN?: I have heard conflicting claims as to whether PCs connected to the same router can talk to each other when one is connected via ethernet while the other is connected by Wi-fi. In a particular case that I focus on here, I have a Win10 desktop connected to the router by...
  7. Wi-Fi masquerading as an Ethernet Connection?

Wi-Fi masquerading as an Ethernet Connection?: Hi all, Newbie here. After new PC arrived and was through all the setup, I ended up with an ethernet connection that appears to be named after one of my Wi-Fi connections. Everything works fine, but I would like to know how to fix/change this. Attaching a pic. Red arrow...
  8. Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi: Hi there I have an Ethernet cable attached to my PC but also want the Wi-Fi connected too as a back etc. but every time I Connect to Wi-Fi it says unable to connect to network. Now the Ethernet is connected no problem and my wife's computer is connected to Wi-Fi no issues,...
  9. Wi-Fi and Ethernet together

Wi-Fi and Ethernet together: Trying to increase downland speeds.Currently just using Wi-Fi. 1, Will combining the two methods help and will it work? 2. What settings need to be changed in my Wi-Fi router ? (TP-Link) 3. Win 10 Home 4. Am I wasting my time considering this? My provider is Spectrum....
  10. Ethernet/ Wi-Fi Conflict??

Ethernet/ Wi-Fi Conflict??: My Windows 10 desktop is immediately next to my XFINITY Xfi modem. The computer has a wired Ethernet connection and is also connecting by Wi-Fi. The computer often drops its internet connection while a laptop in another room connected only by Wi-Fi stays connected...