Windows 10: Start Button & Windows Key Not Working?

Discus and support Start Button & Windows Key Not Working? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Start Button (is it still called that?) & Windows Key Not Working. I've seen other posts about this (example), but there doesn't seem to be any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nigelmercier, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Start Button & Windows Key Not Working?

Start Button (is it still called that?) & Windows Key Not Working.

I've seen other posts about this (example), but there doesn't seem to be any reason given for the problem. I've got this issue on a clean Windows 10 install.

:)

nigelmercier, Aug 23, 2015
  2. Chapa :) Win User

I originally had a win. 8.1,Upgraded to free to windows 10 Home(thankyou microsoft windows)can I use an OEM win. 10 Pro to upgrade to 10 Pro?

yes, you can. Upgrade using a Windows 10 Pro product key Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Activation.Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character Windows 10 Pro product key.Select Next to start the upgrade
    to Windows 10 Pro.

Chapa :), Aug 23, 2015
  3. abb6543 Win User
    Windows start button in tool bar is none responsive. Windows start works via the key pad windows button.

Greetings,

Windows start button in tool bar is none responsive. Windows start works via the key pad windows button. I an using windows 10 version 1709 (OS Build 16299.192). About the same time this started also not able to connect to the inter net. I get this Error
    Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / Task Bar]

abb6543, Aug 23, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

Start Button & Windows Key Not Working?

I checked Microsoft's drivers for your keyboard and there aren't any for Windows 10 or even 8 which may be the reason why your having this problem.

Sooner or later the manufacturer of <random> device stops producing updated drivers.

swarfega, Aug 23, 2015
  5. It isn't a keyboard or mouse issue, or even related to the PC in my specs.

I've now fixed it thanks to a post by flhthemi in another thread:
    However, this isn't as simple as it sounds without a Start button (!), so I've repeated what I did:

My workaround was to copy the shortcut to PowerShell on another PC and drop it onto the Desktop of the stricken PC. The original PS shortcut lives in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows PowerShell\

I also couldn't run Edge to get the command from the post by flhthemi, so I made a text document from the other PC containing:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...ws-8-10-a.html

Code: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}[/quote] I ran the PowerShell shortcut as Administrator and pasted the above. Having rebooted, I can confirm that it also worked for me.

nigelmercier, Aug 23, 2015
  6. I ran the PowerShell shortcut as Administrator and pasted the above. Having rebooted, I can confirm that it also worked for me.

I've attached the files, not sure if it will work.[/quote]
    For anyone wondering this does work, in 2016. Just click the provided file, place it in the desktop, right click. Run as administrator, and then copy and past the link in it. So if anyones wondering this isn'r some scam. It genuinly works!
    -Thanks nigelmercier

BennyWenny111, Apr 9, 2016
  7. Roxie2401 Win User
    Is there a newer AppXPackage? I see when using the above command it produces errors that say if failed because a higher version was already installed. Or are those three errors normal?

And, I guess I'll add, "Why is this still an issue? When will it be fixed correctly without a work-around?"

Roxie2401, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start Button & Windows Key Not Working?

1. Start Button & Windows Key Not Working? - Similar Threads - Start Button Key

2. The windows key, start button, search bar etc. are not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The windows key, start button, search bar etc. are not working.: When I click the windows button, or the search bar, or press the windows key nothing happens. Additionally, when I start up some of my programs then immediately crash.Upon turning on my computer, I get an error notification that...
  3. The windows key, start button, search bar etc. are not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The windows key, start button, search bar etc. are not working.: When I click the windows button, or the search bar, or press the windows key nothing happens. Additionally, when I start up some of my programs then immediately crash.Upon turning on my computer, I get an error notification that...
  4. The windows key, start button, search bar etc. are not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows start button will not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows start button will not work: Windows did a big update and now I cannot do anything. I cannot get into any windows program to even try and fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-button-will-not-work/50be29fd-ab93-49c0-a798-22ce8c97c858
  6. Windows Start Button not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Start Button not working: How to fix windows start button not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-button-not-working/e68577c6-8fb5-432a-8be6-f0ee968bfb8c
  7. Start button not working neither opening from windows key

Start button not working neither opening from windows key: Recently I got two problem in my windows 10 1. When I click on start button nothing happening and when i click windows key on keyboard it also does not opening any Windows. While cortana and taskbar are working properly.I have tried restart explorer but my bad luck it does...
  8. windows start button not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows start button not working: windows 10 start button not working and notification button not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-button-not-working/b975f0a0-6e50-40a7-bb22-515d27f6d2f0
  9. Start(Windows) button not working!!!!!!

Start(Windows) button not working!!!!!!: Start menu in Windows 10 Home is not opening(From both keyboard and display button). I have tried all ways and solutions given on the previously asked same question. Still not working!!!...
  10. Start Menu button & Windows Key not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu button & Windows Key not working: Hi, Am using Win-10 Education. For the last few days Start button and Windows Key have stopped working and I do not get the list of all programs and other icons from where I can go to other programs. What do I do ???? 55945