Windows 10: Start, Cortana and notifications don't work

Discus and support Start, Cortana and notifications don't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I click on start the start menu doesn't come up and notifications like reminders don't work any more. I don't get reminded of the set reminders.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Alfred001, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Alfred001 Win User

Start, Cortana and notifications don't work

When I click on start the start menu doesn't come up and notifications like reminders don't work any more. I don't get reminded of the set reminders. Also, when I click on the notifications button the notifications menu doesn't come up. Cortana, also, won't come up when I click on her.

I've tried using the media creation tool, or whatever it's called, to create a bootable USB and I've done the repair installation thing twice and the situation remained the same. I've also installed many updates, including the recent big one and it hasn't changed hte situation.

I've done virus scans with multiple antiviruses and nothing came up.

Any ideas?

:)

Alfred001, Dec 13, 2017

2. Start Menu, Cortana, Notification Center don't work?

So I recently downloaded and installed Windows 10. After about a day, the Start Menu along with Cortana and the notification center have stopped working. I click on them and the loading circle appears, but nothing else. I tried creating new accounts and
    they all seem to work fine on those, but why not my main account? It's incredibly frustrating and I'm wondering if anyone else is having these sort of issues and if there is any solution to it.

Forgot to add, Microsoft Edge seems to have disappeared as well, nowhere to be seen.

ileanaflrs, Dec 13, 2017
  3. Start Menu, Cortana, Notification Center don't work?

Has anyone tried this and have it work? Also, there seem to be more bugs in 10 than I expected after reading all the rave reviews..

Charles A Burris, Dec 13, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    Have you tried making a new user account (admin level) and check if everything is working in it? It could be that your user account has become corrupted for some reason.

simrick, Dec 15, 2017
  5. Alfred001 Win User
    I'm trying to add another account in settings, but when I click on "add someone else to this pc" I see a window pop up for a split second and then disappears. This happens every time I click. Maybe this is also part of my WIndows being busted.

Alfred001, Dec 19, 2017
  6. A few things you can try if you dont want to perform a full clean install

Option 1:

Windows All in One Repair Tool
    Windows Repair (All In One) Download
    Download either the portable or install program
    1. Start computer in Safe Mode
    2. Disable any Anti-Virus programs
    3. Start the program
    4. When program first starts it will run quick file check
    5. Click on the X button after the scan shows Done!
    6. Click on Settings tab and Select Check for Updates
    7. Click on Pre-Repair Steps Tab and Run All 4 Steps
    8. Select both Registry Backup and Create System Restore
    9. Click Presets: All Repairs
    10. Click Start Repairs

For Best Results Run the Repairs option Twice!

Option 2:

From an elevated command prompt run the following command

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Techjourney, Dec 20, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    simrick, Dec 20, 2017
  8. Alfred001 Win User

Alfred001, Dec 30, 2017
  9. If you created a local account via the command prompt, you don't need to restart the pc to begin to use the new account. Just sign out of your current account and sign in the new account. It will run the oobe setup after which you should be able to use the start menu for troubleshooting purposes.

titetanium, Dec 30, 2017
  10. Alfred001 Win User
    You were right, I switched user and the test account I created was there, however when I logged into it the same problems were there.

Alfred001, Dec 30, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    If you have a System restore point prior to when this started happening- or a disk image (we constantly recommend people use disk imaging routinely) you could use those.

Otherwise:

Which is your Windows build?
    Windows key + R, winver

I suggest you try an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all programs and data and most settings
    -but mustbe done with an iso matching your build.

This was the approach that worked here:
    Start/Notification/Cortana/Search Stop Working Solved - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Dec 31, 2017
  12. Alfred001 Win User
    Unfortunately, no restore point.

The Win version is Win 10 pro N 1709 16299.98. I have the latest big update.

I tried the repair install 2x, but the problem remained.

The problems described on the thread you link to are exactly like mine, except that apparently it was intermittent for that fellow. Windows would boot and it would work normally for a while and then hit. With me it's this way all the time.

Alfred001, Dec 31, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Dec 31, 2017
  14. If you are experiencing the same problem in safe mode, you might need to consider doing a clean install. It's basically a wipe and install of windows and any drivers from the OEM for your machine.

titetanium, Dec 31, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Also try this:
    or this:
    @Kari

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start, Cortana and notifications don't work - Similar Threads - Start Cortana notifications

2. start button and Cortana are not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    start button and Cortana are not working: I was receiving a message as my window's license will expire soon so I ask to the technical support Microsoft about it they said it because I have a old version so they take remote control of my pc an install a new version as they said I didn't know but the look it's very old...
  3. Start, cortana, search, notification stopped working on my laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start, cortana, search, notification stopped working on my laptop: Guys I have a Asus tuf fx504 running Windows 10 home. I recently faced this issue. Tried many methods from the internet but it didn't work finally reinstalled windows and it worked fine. But after 3 days the same problem...please help submitted by /u/Shot-Dimension-4822...
  4. windows start icon and cortana don't work

in Cortana
    windows start icon and cortana don't work: the windows start icon and cortana have stopped working, don't respond to mouse click . Windows automatic trouble shooter from microsoft store says there's a hanging app. Don't know which and don't know if it's causing the problem....
  5. Notifications Greyed Out Problem - Notifications don't work

Notifications Greyed Out Problem - Notifications don't work: This was a question on this site last year. Why is it still a problem? Why does Microsoft set these defaults and then not make it possible for the owner to change them? Unless you are techie enough to feels safe editing registry files? Why should a home user be required...
  6. Cortana started working.

in Cortana
    Cortana started working.: After weeks of fruitlessly searching the Microsoft forums, among many others, trying to find out why my Cortana stopped listening to me, why she would not answer me, why she seemed to shut down immediately after asking her to do something on my Windows 10 system, all of a...
  7. Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: So for the past couple of months I've been dealing with this issue. I managed to fix a couple of other issues with my computer, mainly wifi driver issues but I still can't open up my start menu or cortana. Another Issue I have are daily blue screens from driver failure fslx....
  8. Start/Notification/Cortana/Search Stop Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start/Notification/Cortana/Search Stop Working: Hi All, I've got a system here which is acting up and I'm looking for ideas of how to resolve. Specs are: Windows 10 Home (upgraded from W8.1) i7-3632 8GB RAM 64bit Inspiron 17R5720 laptop Here's the problem: Everything works fine upon boot, but then, something...
  9. Start don't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start don't work: If I right click the start I will get a menu but if I left click the start nothing happens. How can I fix this? 28393
  10. Start, Cortana, Notifications - Corrupt Text and Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Start, Cortana, Notifications - Corrupt Text and Icons: I have slowly been fixing the issues I have run into with the Windows 10 upgrade, but I have one issue that continues to persist. The Metro text and icons in the Start Menu, Cortana, Notifications, etc become corrupt. [img] (Just starting to become corrupt) [img]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana news notifications dont work