Windows 10: Start menu inoperable and nothing working after reset of new 2017 Surface Pro

Discus and support Start menu inoperable and nothing working after reset of new 2017 Surface Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have just traded my 2017 macbook pro for an equivalent spec 2017 Surface Pro, and did a full reset to factory with the full disk clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by joshmurray1, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Start menu inoperable and nothing working after reset of new 2017 Surface Pro

Hi everyone,

I have just traded my 2017 macbook pro for an equivalent spec 2017 Surface Pro, and did a full reset to factory with the full disk clean option to ensure there was nothing lurking in hiding on the SSD, and after the reset process finished reinstalling windows nothing seems to work.

Left clicking the start menu does absolutely nothing. Right clicking it brings up the secondary menu, but only task manager, run, and Powershell seem to work.
    I have done a bit of reading and have already tried the sfc and dism commands through powershell.

Sfc came back with 0 faults, dism command seemed to do nothing.

I have tried the regedit tweak changing the value of start to 4 in the registry

I have reset the System 4 times in total with zero variation in results.

I tried forcing an update with run - wuauclt which seemed to think about doing something for a second, then resumed doing absolutely nothing.

And I have tried reinstalling windows apps via power shell with the command "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)AppXManifest.xml"}"

this last action seemed to shed the most light on the cause of the problem as the whole screen filled with red error messages telling me that the action could not be completed as the path didn't exist for any of the apps it was attempting to install.
    I'm thinking that somehow the recovery partition of Windows on this 2017 Surface Pro has a problem and isn't installing any of the windows apps when it installs the base system.

At the moment I've made a new recovery USB on my old Lenovo windows10 rig and am using that to try and force it to download an update and then probably reset it for a 5th time.

It's getting to be a bit of a joke at this point though.
    Any time I had to reset any of my old macbooks I have just told it to reset and come back 20 mins later to a fresh install. Zero problems, zero fuss.
    I made the switch back to windows because some apps that would make my work much easier are only available on windows, but so far I am most disappointed with the whole experience. Isn't Microsoft one of the world leaders in computer technology? How can a simple reset on one of their premium models be such an arduous task?

Has anyone else had this problem? and if so how did you manage to fix it?

:)

joshmurray1, Nov 11, 2018

2. new arc mouse not working with surface pro 2017

Hi Clyde,

Normally, this issue may occur due to the incompatibility of the driver or if there were settings that were not configured properly. We'd like to know if you're getting any error messages when trying to pair your mouse with your PC. Also, have you tried using
    a different mouse on your Surface Pro 2017?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps on this link and check
    if it helps to resolve the issue.

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Eileen Gal, Nov 11, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    New Surface Pro 3 Firmware Updates - August 24, 2017

Source: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 update history | Surface firmware updates

See also: Updates for Surface Pro 3 (24 Aug 2017) Surface

Surface Pro 3 firmware and driver package download link: Download Surface Pro 3 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Brink, Nov 11, 2018
  4. Brink Win User

Start menu inoperable and nothing working after reset of new 2017 Surface Pro

New Surface Pro 4 Firmware Updates - Sept. 14th 2017

Source: Surface Pro 4 update history - Microsoft Support

Brink, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

Start menu inoperable and nothing working after reset of new 2017 Surface Pro

1. Start menu inoperable and nothing working after reset of new 2017 Surface Pro - Similar Threads - Start menu inoperable

2. Win 10 Pro 1909 Start Context Menu Semi-inoperable

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Pro 1909 Start Context Menu Semi-inoperable: I am having an issue with the Win 10 Start Context (right-click) Menu. I have done extensive research and tried many things but I can't make any headway with the solution. When I right-click the Start Menu, the standard menu structure is displayed. [img] I then select...
  3. Surface Pro 2017 Bluetooth

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 2017 Bluetooth: Hi, I recently connected my airpods to my 2017 Surface Pro via bluetooth but ever since a couple days after that my bluetooth has seemingly completely vanished. I have tried multiple solutions such as troubleshooting my driver in which I get back the error message, "device...
  4. Start menu access on Surface Pro 6

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu access on Surface Pro 6: Recently I upgraded from Surface Pro 3 to Pro 6. I have a slight problem with the location of the start menu icon. On my Pro 3 there was a haptic start menu button on the right side of the screen, which was very handy in the tablet mode, without the keyboard I'm right-handed....
  5. Clock on Surface Pro 2017 jumping

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clock on Surface Pro 2017 jumping: Dear Sir, I just bought the Surface Pro 2017, during using it, I observed the clock is jumping (some before and some after the real day and time). I go to the Bios and see the time in the BIOS jumping a lot and the second did not count properly: some time jump 2hrs, some...
  6. onedrive not connecting to surface pro 2017

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    onedrive not connecting to surface pro 2017: Last week my files stopped syncing to onedrive through my surface. It persisted for a few days through some troubleshooting efforts, so I decided to disconnect my onedrive account from my surface and reconnect it. When I do this: I put my email in, followed by my password,...
  7. Unrelenting BSODs in new Surface Pro 2017

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unrelenting BSODs in new Surface Pro 2017: Hello there, I've been getting constant BSOD errors since I bought my Surface Pro 2017, just a couple of days ago. Here are my specs and DMP files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tpfrwyw8r9hm4u9/AACFVaze_x2Zh36kboK-Zs9sa?dl=0 At the beginning, they were mostly ATTEMPT TO WRITE...
  8. BSOD on Surface Pro 2017

BSOD on Surface Pro 2017: Hello, I just bought a new Surface Pro 2017 and I'm getting several BSOD errors, with the text "ATTEMPT TO WRITE READ ONLY MEMORY" while using the computer. Here are my DMP files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tpfrwyw8r9hm4u9/AACFVaze_x2Zh36kboK-Zs9sa?dl=0 Kind regards,...
  9. After Reset: start menu and general windows settings don't work anymore (Surface Pro)

After Reset: start menu and general windows settings don't work anymore (Surface Pro): I decided to do a windows reset on my surface pro 2017 because the digitizer was behaving strangely. I chose the 'deepest' reset option (the one that is recommended for when you give away the pc afterwards). Everything seemed to have worked smoothly, but after it was...
  10. New Surface Pro Firmware Update - July 13, 2017

in Windows 10 News
    New Surface Pro Firmware Update - July 13, 2017: Today we've released a Surface System Aggregator firmware update for the Surface Pro. This firmware update revises system power reporting. For Surface Pro, the updates are available in MSI format from the Surface Pro Drivers and Firmware page in the Microsoft Download...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface pro 2017 start menu not working