Windows 10: Start Menu Issues (Again!)

Discus and support Start Menu Issues (Again!) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, I upgraded to creators update on my office computer, for which I am an administrator. It's a domain connected computer, with folder redirection... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by networkn, May 6, 2017.

1. networkn Win User

Start Menu Issues (Again!)

So, I upgraded to creators update on my office computer, for which I am an administrator.
    It's a domain connected computer, with folder redirection and a roaming profile. I use Fences from Stardock on my desktop. I have no AV connected.

After the update, I noticed that after some time, I was unable to open the start menu. If I click it, or use the start button nothing happens.

When this has happened in the past, I know you can restart Windows Explorer and that resolves it temporarily. I also noticed today, that it seems to be blocking my notifications like what's changed in dropbox and some other stuff, like if a phone number gets copied to my clipboard, I have an option to dial it.

How do I troubleshoot the cause of it's driving me crazy!

:)

networkn, May 6, 2017

2. again and again start menu partialy lost

Hello,

This morning Windows 10 asked to reboot for ending last cumulatives patches installation KB4013418 AND KB40134.

After reboot all menu entry linked to the Windows store was missing and all icon on menu right side.

I don't remember how manytimes I had to reinstall windows 10 or redo all my menu structure and this occurs on all my PC after patch installation

or randomly.

The PowerShell command

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"

create back the store entries menu , but not the menu structure itself, all customisation are lost.

I didn't found any answer from Microsoft on how to backup and restore the menu structure when it occurs. Of corse it will be beter if MS engineers can fixe this recurent issue!!!! any solution?

If I found Windows 10 Interface interesting, the time lost in bugs (file lost, corruption of data, menu) is so impressive !!! my productivity fails by more than 10% since the forced upgrate

LaurentDimopoulos, May 6, 2017
  3. Morgan_M Win User
    again and again start menu partialy lost

Hi LaurentDimopoulos,

I'm afraid I can't give you a specific answer as this is a French language forum only.

If you would like to receive support in English, please feel free to post your question in the following forum.

Microsoft Community

Otherwise, feel free to re-post your question in French.

Regards,

Morgan

Morgan_M, May 6, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, as a workaround just for now so you do have a start menu, install Classic Shell start menu (free).
    (Once installed, it's just a process- rt click the start button, exit, and you're back to Win 10's start menu).

I am putting off upgrading to the Creator's build, so don't want to try to comment on it. I'm sure someone will soon.

dalchina, May 6, 2017
  5. Stevekir Win User
    Comingfrom you, that's not a ringing endorsement of Creators! Have you reservations?

Stevekir, May 6, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    I have one program I use- Aeroglass- that needs updating each major build. That usually takes several months.

There's also a pattern- 1 or more major updates after an upgrade 2-3 months on. There's no functional advantage to me in upgrading, and I feel MS is using its customer base as a field trial- in fact they prioritise roll-out to system deemed as lower risk - and collect feedback, which isn't a bad idea. But clearly there is a risk, and I'd prefer to sidestep that.

dalchina, May 6, 2017
  7. networkn Win User
    Anyone else able to add anything in terms of troubleshooting? I don't want classic shell, I want to get my 10 working as it should be.

networkn, May 8, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

I'm trying to steer clear of troubleshooting a version of Windows I don't have...

However you can try
    Start Menu Troubleshooter in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    http://windowsreport.com/start-menu-issues-fix/

and if you have anything to do with God Mode (Customiser God) this has caused some people problems.

A hint might be that certain shortcuts added which worked in the anniversary edition may cause problems in the Creator's build. (But works perfectly in Classic Shell).

Note: you probably have 10 days to roll back.

But that should not, of course, apply to a clean install.

You can also try creating a new user for test purposes. If the start menu works then, it's not Windows corruption that's the problem, but sthg about the original account and its settings or configuration.

dalchina, May 8, 2017
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    By any chance did or do you make complete image backups of your Windows 10 ?? If you did, you could try going back to your Windows 10, without the Creative Update. If you didn't, then you should in the future always make a complete image backup, before doing a Major Windows Update.
    Afraid I agree with dalchina, about the Creative Update. Except for the fact I did install it, and ran it for 2 or 3 weeks, then went back to my Windows 10 version without the Creative update, using a backup image I had made. Macrium Reflect. I will admit thou I never had any issues with the Start Menu while I was Running the Creative Update.

OldMike65, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu Issues (Again!) - Similar Threads - Start Menu Issues

2. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu issue: Start menu shows only half of the apps. It is the upper part but no apps or anything in the another half. I cant find my other apps and sometimes it will close automatically in my Windows 10. I have not encounter this kind of issue before and I need help. Restarting wont...
  3. Start Menu Shortcuts Gone - AGAIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Shortcuts Gone - AGAIN: Hi.All my start menu shortcuts have disappeared for what must be the third time this year.When I click Start, I see nothing but the default "Productivity" selection.I'd very much appreciate, rather than 5 different kudos-seeking opinions of what MIGHT be wrong, if anyone can...
  4. Start Menu Shortcuts Gone - AGAIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Shortcuts Gone - AGAIN: Hi.All my start menu shortcuts have disappeared for what must be the third time this year.When I click Start, I see nothing but the default "Productivity" selection.I'd very much appreciate, rather than 5 different kudos-seeking opinions of what MIGHT be wrong, if anyone can...
  5. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu issue: [ATTACH] So, I reinstalled Windows 10 again, and the tiles are the same color as the Windows color, not the accent color. For example, accent is blue, the tiles are not blue....
  6. Start Menu Button not working again

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Button not working again: The only thing that seems to work is to reset the machine. All the other troubleshooting steps are not working. Right click works, left click does not, none of the icons works. Come on Microsoft fix this already, its been an issue for years, and resetting computers in a...
  7. Start Menu and Cortana Problems again!!!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start Menu and Cortana Problems again!!!!: Hello Again Guys, I love Windows 10 but for me it's been the most unreliable O/S I've used and I go back to Windows 95 days. Microsoft took away the start menu we all loved in Windows 8, after 2 years we finally get it back but boy is it buggy. Basically I have had...
  8. Start Menu Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Issues: I've just completed a clean install of Windows 10 and have been installing my programs, however some of them do show up in the "All Apps" menu until I signout and sign back in again. This is also the case when I try to pin or unpin items to the start menu. Has anyone else...
  9. Start Menu issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu issue: With the latest update, my start menu changed. Before the apps along the left side menu were under a Title tag "All Apps" but now all the apps are list under alphabet headings. Is there a way to reset the left menu to use the "All Apps" tag? I like the cleaner look. Rod 60273
  10. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu issue: I upgraded from Windows 7 Home. Somewhere along the line a Windows 8 start menu icon ended up on my desktop. I thought I would click on it and see what it did. It changed the start menu to a very cheap looking Windows 7 start menu. I liked the new Windows 10 start menu and...