Windows 10: start menu issues

Discus and support start menu issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i have windows 10, all of a sudden I cant delete or unpin any tiles in the menu. I cant even resize them, when I right click on them the options pop up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chaza, Aug 25, 2017.

1. chaza Win User

start menu issues

i have windows 10, all of a sudden I cant delete or unpin any tiles in the menu. I cant even resize them, when I right click on them the options pop up for a milli second and then gone, I reinstalled windows, Kaspersky, but still the issue remains. I eventually did a sfc/scannow, than turned up nothing. so far short of a re format, any ideas as to the problem, I'm suspecting outside interference of some kind.
    also when I tried to do a command prompt, even that did not give me administrator privaledge, I did it another way.

thanks

:)

chaza, Aug 25, 2017

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Aug 25, 2017
  3. Josh-Porg Win User
    Issues with Start Menu

Hi!

Thanks for your initial response. Unfortunately, I am unable to create a new profile as I cannot access the start menu. Is there a way to repair the system files? Thank you!

Josh-Porg, Aug 25, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

start menu issues

Hi, I've searched the forum for you:
    can't unpin tiles

Cannot re-arrange/resize/pin/unpin start menu tiles after malware. - Windows 10 Forums
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/49618-can-not-customize-start-menu.html

Older thread:
    Start Menu Issues - Windows 10 Forums

Please feel free to search for more if these don't help. This has been discussed frequently.

Also:
    Do you have the same problem if you create a new user for test purposes?
    Do you have the same problem in Safe Mode with your current user?

dalchina, Aug 25, 2017
  5. chaza Win User
    thanks dal
    I haven't done either of those, I'm on my laptop at the mo, my pc is unplugged from net, ill tyr what you suggest tomorrow, ill take a look at the link.
    I didn't understand what you did with the user account
    ps
    I also noted that my user account has no option to remove or change password

cheers

chaza, Aug 25, 2017
  6. chaza Win User
    i tried with another account, that too I was unable to do anything with the tiles, they are both the same. also, I could not change the resolution on the new account, I am running another sfc right now.
    something is going on, but nothing is helping. looks like a re format is needed

thanks

chaza, Aug 26, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi please work carefully though the ideas in my first post.
    As the problem is common to both users, that's either the same program starting affecting the Start menu, or Windows corruption.

Also see
    Reset Start Layout in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

There should be no need to reinstall Windows.
    If al else fails, and since it's not user account corruption, you can do an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all programs and data and most settings but gives you a new Windows installation, using the base build of your current major build.
    (Tutorial in the tutorial section Windows 10 Tutorials if needed)

dalchina, Aug 26, 2017
  8. chaza Win User

start menu issues

Hi del, I have created another accout bat too is acting the same way. I have tried to follow the instructions but I don't get the same as you sent, the file explorer does not give me the same options, so I'm confused as to what I'm doing wrong

chaza, Aug 26, 2017
  9. chaza Win User
    I am using my tablet cause the pc is very slow at starting as a result.

chaza, Aug 26, 2017
  10. chaza Win User
    I have tried to goto
    C:user,name,
    But I don't have the app data you said ,so I'm lost

chaza, Aug 26, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    I don't know to which part of the links you're specifically referring, but if you simply type
    C:\Users\<name>\appdata in file explorer's address bar you'll get there.

(By default system things are hidden).

Or type %appdata% in the run box or file explorer's address bar and that takes you to
    C:\Users\<name>\appdata\roaming

If your problem is with your PC and it's very slow, you could have other problems.

dalchina, Aug 26, 2017
  12. Where did you obtain your install media from? You may want to re download it again, in case its corrupted. And what edition did you install? Activated OK? Any third party programs installed to change the start menu (windows 7 like etc) or reskin Windows?

alphanumeric, Aug 26, 2017
  13. chaza Win User

start menu issues

i got it form Microsoft. the anniversary install, last week I contacted them and I reinstalled it, so I doubt if its faulty. this all happened a couple of weeks ago, I was doing some stuff on youtube, then I noticed the flashing input bars and the icon on the task bar. then I wanted to delete some tiles but couldn't and thats the story.
    I thought it might be some hacking stuff, but some don't think so, so all I want is to put it right, so far I'm not getting what I'm supposed to get to do the rectification, so far ive managed to get to...c/user/name/appdata
    now I'm waiting for some more instruction, I'm not a tech wizard,

chaza, Aug 26, 2017
  14. If you reinstalled, and have the same issue right from the get go. I'd download new install media and start over. If it's not happening right away, keep track of what your doing, and note when it happens.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

start menu issues

1. start menu issues - Similar Threads - start menu issues

2. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu issue: Start menu shows only half of the apps. It is the upper part but no apps or anything in the another half. I cant find my other apps and sometimes it will close automatically in my Windows 10. I have not encounter this kind of issue before and I need help. Restarting wont...
  3. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu issue: Start menu shows only half of the apps. It is the upper part but no apps or anything in the another half. I cant find my other apps and sometimes it will close automatically in my Windows 10. I have not encounter this kind of issue before and I need help. Restarting wont...
  4. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu issue: [ATTACH] So, I reinstalled Windows 10 again, and the tiles are the same color as the Windows color, not the accent color. For example, accent is blue, the tiles are not blue....
  5. An Issue of Start menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    An Issue of Start menu.: Somedays ago I was unable to open my PC it showed recovery error, so I clean installed Windows 10. I installed it where it was installed before I formatted it and installed it. It seems to solve the problem of startup. But when I turned it on Softwares like Chrome, Adobe...
  6. Start Menu Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Issue: Good Day. My Start Menu Refused To Show Upon System Startup. So I've Restarted The System To See If That Would Solve The Problem. The Start Menu Is Back But All My Program Tiles Are Missing. The Only Indication It Has Given Is Blank Tiles Of Everything Inside The Start Menu...
  7. Start Menu Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Issues: I've just completed a clean install of Windows 10 and have been installing my programs, however some of them do show up in the "All Apps" menu until I signout and sign back in again. This is also the case when I try to pin or unpin items to the start menu. Has anyone else...
  8. Start Menu issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu issue: With the latest update, my start menu changed. Before the apps along the left side menu were under a Title tag "All Apps" but now all the apps are list under alphabet headings. Is there a way to reset the left menu to use the "All Apps" tag? I like the cleaner look. Rod 60273
  9. Start Menu Issue.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Issue.: Hi, I have been searching for a solution for this issue. I have checked on the Ten Forums, google, and asked friends. No on seems to have the answer unless I am not using the right keywords. I have updated to 10 from 8.1 as well as clean install. Each time this issues comes...
  10. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu issue: I upgraded from Windows 7 Home. Somewhere along the line a Windows 8 start menu icon ended up on my desktop. I thought I would click on it and see what it did. It changed the start menu to a very cheap looking Windows 7 start menu. I liked the new Windows 10 start menu and...