Windows 10: Start menu problem "pin and unpin to start"

Discus and support Start menu problem "pin and unpin to start" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys I work on win 10 pin to start & unpin to start was working normally and a few days ago i found that it's not exist anymore and when i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Eisa, May 5, 2016.

1. Eisa Win User

Start menu problem "pin and unpin to start"

Hi guys
    I work on win 10
    pin to start & unpin to start was working normally
    and a few days ago i found that it's not exist anymore
    and when i perform a right click on a free space in start menu there's nothing happens

Start menu problem "pin and unpin to start" [​IMG]

:)

Eisa, May 5, 2016

2. Make script for pinning programs to taskbar in windows 10

Hi Stefan,

You run the executable. There is a readme.txt file that has all the info. The .cmd file in the zip file Pins Office 2013 programs. They may have provided it as a sample.

: Release v1.1 - Stuart Pearson 14th Nov 2015

:

: Command line tool to pin and unpin exe / lnk files to the Windows 10 taskbar and start menu.

:

: The exe needs to be run with two switches specified for each function - Pin / Unpin to Taskbar / Start Menu...

:

: To pin an application or shortcut to the taskbar you must include the two following switches...

: /PTFOL: followed directly by the folder containing the exe you want to pin (always surround in quotes).

: /PTFILE: followed directly by the name of the executable you want to pin (always surround in quotes).

:

: To unpin an application or shortcut to the taskbar you must include the two following switches...

: /UTFOL: followed directly by the folder containing the exe you want to unpin (always surround in quotes).

: /UTFILE: followed directly by the name of the executable you want to unpin (always surround in quotes).

:

: To pin an application or shortcut to the start menu you must include the two following switches...

: /PSFOL: followed directly by the folder containing the exe you want to pin (always surround in quotes).

: /PSFILE: followed directly by the name of the executable you want to pin (always surround in quotes).

:

: To unpin an application or shortcut to the start menu you must include the two following switches...

: /USFOL: followed directly by the folder containing the exe you want to unpin (always surround in quotes).

: /USFILE: followed directly by the name of the executable you want to unpin (always surround in quotes).

: Example for pinning a file to the taskbar...

PinTo10.exe /PTFOL:"C:\Windows" /PTFILE:"notepad.exe"

: Example for unpinning a file to the taskbar...

PinTo10.exe /UTFOL:"C:\Windows" /UTFILE:"notepad.exe"

: Example for pinning a file to the start menu...

PinTo10.exe /PSFOL:"C:\Windows" /PSFILE:"notepad.exe"

: Example for unpinning a file from the start menu...

PinTo10.exe /USFOL:"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop" /USFILE:"Word 2016.lnk"

Ramesh Srinivasan, May 5, 2016
  3. EddoX Win User
    How do I stop Windows 10 Start menu from automatically displaying every time I log into Windows?

What a stupid suggestion. Where did you get the idea that unpinning the tiles would do the trick?

EddoX, May 5, 2016
  4. synergy1 Win User

Excuse me but I'm not clear on what you are doing. Are you right clicking an icon or the blank space. For me the icon brings up a menu that includes "run as an administrator," the other does nothing.

synergy1, May 5, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Eisa,

Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.

Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

davidhk, May 5, 2016
  6. This used to happen to me when I deleted the wrong files from AppData/Local/Microsoft and also from AppData/Roaming. But the problem solved itself after some boots. I see the only way is to backup your files and create a new user in windows. BTW Im using 10.0 Home 10240

gamer254rb, May 5, 2016
  7. Eisa Win User

1. No integrity violation.

thanks for ur help

Eisa, May 6, 2016
  8. Eisa Win User
    yes i right click on the blank in 1st screenshot
    but in others i click on icons

Eisa, May 6, 2016
  9. Eisa Win User
  10. Eisa Win User
    I do created new user but it didn't work too

11. davidhk Win User
    Suggestions :

1. Do a system restore. Pick a date when you did NOT have this problem as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

2. Run a Repair Install
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

If you find the tutorial a bit complex, please post back. I can give you a more simplified method.
    But use the forum's tutorial first.

davidhk, May 6, 2016
  12. Eisa Win User

I will try this in my free time

13. Eisa Win User
Thema:

1. Start menu problem "pin and unpin to start" - Similar Threads - Start menu problem

2. Unpin tiles from Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unpin tiles from Start menu: Hi, I have a question How can I unpin all tiles from the Start Menu using a batch script or registry editor in Windows 10 20H2 175931
  3. unpin start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    unpin start menu: i tried to reinstall my browser (firefox) so i uninstalled it but i can't unpin the shortcut i have in my start menu what's the solution? https://i.postimg.cc/5jc0DFvM/2.png forgot to add that when i click on it, nothing happens submitted by /u/djindjer [link]...
  4. Can't unpin from start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't unpin from start menu: A few months ago, I could unpin from start, but now when I unpin something, it comes back every time I shut down my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-unpin-from-start-menu/84d8eb39-c74d-45d0-b093-e167399f8d17
  5. Cannot Pin or Unpin Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Pin or Unpin Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu.: Windows 10 Start Menu is Locked. Cannot Pin or Unpin Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu. I have also tried this command in Powershell - Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} But my...
  6. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin/pin items in start menu: Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile, and I wanted to put something in that...
  7. Problem pinning apps to the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem pinning apps to the start menu: I posted this on the MS support forum . Can't pin programs to the Start Menu in Windows 10, unless they are present in the "All apps" menu. Neither by drag & drop, nor by right-clicking and selecting "Pin To Start". Received this reply.. wonderded if it was a known...
  8. Problem with pinning and unpinning to start.

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with pinning and unpinning to start.: Hey. When I try to pin something to the start using the right click on application/folder nothing happens. It looks like it should be pinned in to the start, but nothing changes in there. The things appear in the start after the restart of OS. The same problem is with the...
  9. Unable to pin/unpin for start menu OR customize!

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to pin/unpin for start menu OR customize!: just done a fresh install of windows and i literately cant do anything that relates to pinning or tweaking the start menu. i was reading that there is a way to fix this via tiledatalayer ??? and followed some examples however there was no tiledatalayer folder present in...
  10. Unpinning apps from the Start Menu ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Unpinning apps from the Start Menu ?: So, am I just stupid or when I right click an app and choose "Unpin from Start" the app is still in the Start Menu and works no problem, am I just missing something or there is no way to get rid of pinned apps ? Also I read somewhere that when you right click a blank space...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start menu unpin stop after restarting pc

2. cat find the pin / unpin veerb on the file specified