Windows 10: Start Menu (Remove Tiles)

Discus and support Start Menu (Remove Tiles) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all, I beta tested Windows 10 several months back, previous to the version I tested, if you removed all the pined tiles from the start menu, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheChad, Aug 11, 2015.

1. TheChad Win User

Start Menu (Remove Tiles)

Hey all,

I beta tested Windows 10 several months back, previous to the version I tested, if you removed all the pined tiles from the start menu, it would look more like the conventional start menu. However in the few version I tested, even if you unpinned all the tiles, the start menu was still 1/2 the screen, the tile area was just blank..

Did Microsoft fix this? or are they forcing the tile thing down the throats of the users?

I have a free upgrade from Windows 7, but If they didn't go back to allowing you to remove tiles from the start menu and get more of a traditional start menu, I'm sticking with Windows 7..

Also, does anyone know if I did upgrade to Windows 10, can you go back to windows 7, either by Uninstalling the upgrade and/or be reinstalling Windows 7? or does it convert and remove your Windows 7 license key there by deleting your ability to go back to Windows 7?

Thanks!

-

:)

TheChad, Aug 11, 2015
  2. steviegt Win User

How do you remove tile section of start menu?

How do you remove tile section of start menu? I know I can remove all the tiles or groups. It's the empty space on the start menu where the tiles once sat. How do you or can you tweak or adjust to remove that space to clean it up to just show the "real"
    start menu?

steviegt, Aug 11, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Life at a Glance

Hi WhoisWe, if you mean, how to add and remove tiles to/from the Start Menu

Right click any program or file and choose 'Pin To Start'

To remove any tile from the Start Menu, right click the tile and choose 'Remove from Start

For apps like Photos, in the search beside the Start Menu, type Photos, right click the result and choose 'Pin to Start'

You can then drag the tiles around the start menu, to order them in any specific order

If this is not what you were inquiring about, please provide a bit more detail . . .

DaveM121, Aug 11, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Have you tried it out??

BunnyJ, Aug 11, 2015
  5. TheChad Win User
    Not yet, (If I had, I'm not sure why I would have posted the question?). I don't want to do the upgrade and not be able to go back if I hate it!

Windows 8 Sucked, until I installed an aftermarket Start menu that made it basically Windows 7...

I had some other computer hardware issues and never installed the final RC beta's of Windows 10, so I didn't get to see if they fixed the Start Menu..

-

TheChad, Aug 11, 2015
  6. Bazz Win User
    Yes you can drag the menu to conventional size and loose the whole tile thing, and also yes you can roll back.

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Chad, *Smile

If you upgrade to Windows 10, you will have up to 31 days to go back to Windows 7 if you do not delete the Windows.old folder after upgrading.

After 31 days, you'll have to clean install Windows 7 to go back.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...s-windows.html

Brink, Aug 11, 2015
  8. LEE
    Lee Win User

. . .here is another one of those force it down your throat guys. . .please give it try and see if like it or not, then. . .*Huh

9. TheChad Win User
    Microsoft is famous for forcing things down your throat... Windows 8 is a perfect example of how they tried to force the tiles down the throats of consumers... It blew up in their face, which is why they are having to GIVE windows 10 away..

Not trying to bash Microsoft, I've been a Windows person since windows 3.1. But In recent years Microsoft has basically said "This is how it's going to be weather you like it or not".. For no reason other than just because they want to...

I was on the Windows ME beta team from the beginning, it was NEVER RTM ready, but they launched it anyway, blew up in their face.

So yes, I'm skeptical.

-

TheChad, Aug 11, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    Honestly,, you need to test it to see if it meets your needs or not. No one here can do that for you.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Aug 11, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Honestly, Microsoft is not forcing you to do anything. It's completely up to you to install or upgrade to Windows 10 or not.

In fact, Microsoft has made it easy for people to be able to go back to the previous Windows and the state it was in before upgrading to Windows 10 if they don't like it. This wasn't an option in previous Windows.

Not to mention, there are always ways to customize Windows to your liking if you don't like how something was set by default.

Brink, Aug 11, 2015
  12. XweAponX Win User
    I just moved all of my Tiles to the 1st Row - No, it hasn't been fixed, the Start Menu is still huge.

DING!

If you open the big fat start menu, and place your Mouse just at the edge until the mouse shows "<-->", drag it back toward the left side of the screen and it resizes!

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

XweAponX, Aug 11, 2015
  13. XweAponX Win User

Re: this MS Throat-Forcing theory, I think MS does want you to use their new stuff, and they implement programs to try to influence people to update.

My Windows 7 machine is trying to make me update to 10, and my Legacy Windows 8 machine keeps trying to "give me a free update to 8.1" - By the use of irritating popups or resource-using permanent taskbar items.

Of course it's my choice to ignore these things, but MS does try to enforce a decision on your part to update. But they are generous with "free" updates lately, so they try to give you an incentive to do it.

XweAponX, Aug 11, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Let's get back to topic for the OP's issues shall we instead of wearing our tinfoil hats. *Wink

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu (Remove Tiles) - Similar Threads - Start Menu Remove

2. Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu: I want to remove this either through registry or through GPO so it does not display as a tile. I logged in with local admin credentials and unpinned it but still it appears for other users .I want only Microsoft Edge to appear and not the STORE....
  3. Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu: I want to remove this either through registry or through GPO so it does not display as a tile. I logged in with local admin credentials and unpinned it but still it appears for other users .I want only Microsoft Edge to appear and not the STORE....
  4. Start Menu Tiles...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Tiles...: [ATTACH] Is there any way to change Windows 10 UWP app tiles to an unsupported color or at least, change it without changing the accent color? https://preview.redd.it/mbqdxtnjwlx51.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=4cb2a93bc3c80ee24150a8458dd752ab330f4e94 submitted...
  5. Start Menu Tiles

Start Menu Tiles: Hi, I really like the original factory start menu view with all of the tiles. I did someting and now when I click start menu I only get cortona to come up. Is there a fix for this? I know it is likely something easy.... Help!...
  6. Remove a corrupt tile from the W10 start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove a corrupt tile from the W10 start menu: A tile corrupted on the Start menu, and is not responsive to activation. The tile context menu only lists tile sizes and nothing else. I ran sfc /scannow and the system files are all OK. Cleared the IconCache.db as well as the Explorer, in the locations listed below and...
  7. START MENUE TILES

START MENUE TILES: USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT WHY THE START TILES ARE NOT THE SAME ON EACH COMPUTER USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menue-tiles/22d9f2c5-64c5-4b9a-9549-f88a285c37f7
  8. Start menu tiles

Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...
  9. no tiles in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    no tiles in the start menu: [img] I've had this problem for a while and with every build it doesn't get fixed. When I open the start menu the tiles don't appear. Screenshot should say it all. If anyone can tell me what to do to get this problem solved I would appreciate it 8379
  10. Start Menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu tiles: I have mistakenly dragged my mail tile/ icon from the Start Menu in W.10 to the desktop. How can I return it to the start menu ? ( drag and drop does not work ) 69326