Windows 10: Start Menu resets on sign in

Discus and support Start Menu resets on sign in in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since I upgraded to Windows 10 version 1809 (October 2018 update), my Start menu resets every time I sign in. All the installed apps show "New", the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iTechieGamer, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Start Menu resets on sign in

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 version 1809 (October 2018 update), my Start menu resets every time I sign in. All the installed apps show "New", the tiles get reset, and all Start Settings get reset too. Also, after some time, when I navigate to the Start Settings, all options turn off; and when I try to change them, they don't save.

Thankfully, this tutorial helps me restore my custom Start layout; however, it's not convenient.

Can someone please help me fix this issue?

:)

iTechieGamer, Oct 9, 2018

2. Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Oct 9, 2018
  3. Darshan J Win User
    Start menu not working

Hello Barry,

Please help us with the below information to help you better.

• Have you installed all the pending updates on your system?
    • Did you make any recent software/hardware changes to your computer?

As an initial troubleshooting step I would suggest you to install all the pending updates on your system and if you are using Microsoft account suggest you to sign out and sign in again and check if resolves the issue.

I suggest you to perform Start menu troubleshooter
    from the below article and check if it help in addressing your issue.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Darshan J, Oct 9, 2018
  4. Start Menu resets on sign in

Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Oct 9, 2018
Thema:

Start Menu resets on sign in

1. Start Menu resets on sign in - Similar Threads - Start Menu resets

2. The Start Menu keeps resetting to defaults

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Start Menu keeps resetting to defaults: The Start menu keeps defaulting to factory settings by itself. I'm not sure how it's happening, but it will randomly reset. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-start-menu-keeps-resetting-to-defaults/e8f30c1c-4871-4597-acba-36f05425838e
  3. How to reset icons on start menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to reset icons on start menu?: I use Windows 10. I deleted too many icons from my start menu, but now I wanna return their. Every time when I reinstall Windows 10, I don't have default icons on start menu, I see only icons which I didn't delete on my last Windows 10. I wanna get default icons on my start...
  4. Start Menu keeps resetting automatically

Start Menu keeps resetting automatically: Hello Everyone, I am facing an issue with the start menu on my Windows 10. Start Menu keeps resetting itself. Even after arranging the tiles, the layout resets on its own after some time. I want to customize the layout as per my preference but it just sticks to this layout by...
  5. Resetting laptop and start menu not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Resetting laptop and start menu not working: I cant open my start menu when i try to open it. I thought resetting my laptop would fix that issue but when i tried resetting it said "There was a problem resetting your PC". i looked up YouTube tutorials to how to fix it but it didn't help am i doing something wrong?...
  6. Reset Start menu to default

Reset Start menu to default: I have just set up a new laptop and for some reason the start menu has corrupted. The programs no longer line up in a column but are in the centre of the screen in several columns. I read up about changing the TileDataLayer but cannot find this now in Widows 10 even in hidden...
  7. Start menu resets after reboot

Start menu resets after reboot: Hi I bought and received a new computer with Win 10 Family 64bits just today, and it worked fine at first, I deleted some apps, installed a couple of softwares and stuff. Then I decided to clean the start menu. I rebooted, and after the reboot, the start menu is exactly...
  8. Reboot resets start menu to default

Reboot resets start menu to default: After the latest update my Start Menu always resets to default after every start/restart. I've done everything to fix the issue I've found in other forums (removing registry key & checking video drivers) when this issue has popped up before except create a new admin profile....
  9. Account Sign-In Hidden from Sign-in Menu/Start Menu

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Account Sign-In Hidden from Sign-in Menu/Start Menu: My younger brother and I share a computer. It is Windows 10 Pro. I was letting him use it while i was asleep. All I know is that he was playing his video games. Anyways, he left the house to go hang out somewhere and i wake up to see that when i turn on the computer, only his...
  10. Resetting Win 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Resetting Win 10 Start Menu: Is it possible to reset the win 10 start menu to the day I installed win 10? I'm having all kind of little issues with it now that I didn't before and I'd like to reset. I know there was a method to do this in the preview builds but that doesn't seem to work anymore. 24319

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows start menu resets

2. when i sign into a microsoft account my start menu resets