Windows 10: Start Menu resets on sign in

Discus and support Start Menu resets on sign in in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since I upgraded to Windows 10 version 1809 (October 2018 update), my Start menu resets every time I sign in. All the installed apps show "New", the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iTechieGamer, Oct 9, 2018.

1. iTechieGamer Win User

Start Menu resets on sign in

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 version 1809 (October 2018 update), my Start menu resets every time I sign in. All the installed apps show "New", the tiles get reset, and all Start Settings get reset too. Also, after some time, when I navigate to the Start Settings, all options turn off; and when I try to change them, they don't save.

Thankfully, this tutorial helps me restore my custom Start layout; however, it's not convenient.

Can someone please help me fix this issue?

:)

iTechieGamer, Oct 9, 2018
  2. LesGrant42 Win User

Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Oct 9, 2018
  3. Darshan J Win User
    Start menu not working

Hello Barry,

Please help us with the below information to help you better.

• Have you installed all the pending updates on your system?
    • Did you make any recent software/hardware changes to your computer?

As an initial troubleshooting step I would suggest you to install all the pending updates on your system and if you are using Microsoft account suggest you to sign out and sign in again and check if resolves the issue.

I suggest you to perform Start menu troubleshooter
    from the below article and check if it help in addressing your issue.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Darshan J, Oct 9, 2018
  4. Krishna Priya V Win User

Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Oct 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu resets on sign in - Similar Threads - Start Menu resets

2. Windows 10 Start Menu Reset

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Start Menu Reset: Hello, I've just installed the win 10 fall updates (version 1809). Now, whenever I reboot, windows restores the default start menu apps and icons, eliminating my customizations. A) Why is this happening? B) What can I do to stop it? C) How can I backup my start menu after...
  3. Account Sign-In Hidden from Sign-in Menu/Start Menu

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Account Sign-In Hidden from Sign-in Menu/Start Menu: My younger brother and I share a computer. It is Windows 10 Pro. I was letting him use it while i was asleep. All I know is that he was playing his video games. Anyways, he left the house to go hang out somewhere and i wake up to see that when i turn on the computer, only his...
  4. Start Menu Reset - Windows Apps Unsearchable

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Reset - Windows Apps Unsearchable: A family member recently upgraded (a week ago roughly) Windows 10 and all of the start menu metro icons (pinned apps, the default Weather tiles etc) disappeared. In addition searching for the built in default apps like "Photos" or "Calc" returns no results. The only way I...
  5. Stop having start menu open when I sign in

in Windows 10 Support
    Stop having start menu open when I sign in: Periodically when I sign into my computer the startmenu will be open. I don't like this. I feel like I saw other people discussing this for some site. 68816
  6. Start menu tiles invisible, reappear after reboot or sign-in

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu tiles invisible, reappear after reboot or sign-in: This is on a custom-built machine upgraded from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro. See screenshot. Left my computer idle for a while. Came back to that on the start screen. This also happened last night under the same seemingly random conditions. Unsure of what caused it, but logging out and...
  7. Windows reset everything - Start menu - audio - etc?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows reset everything - Start menu - audio - etc?: My sons PC has just been having odd issues... this is the newest. Booted.... it got to the lock screen (kind of) - and had the power icon in the corner. We chose restart Seemed fine... start chrome. Froze Force restart... start chrome. Froze.... ok chrome is messed up...
  8. How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?: Hello, I somehow managed to add shortcut to my Start menu leading nowhere and it messed up the whole thing. It closes itself nearly instantly and any interaction causes explorer.exe to crash. So is there a folder with *.lnk files, or xml with the Start menu...
  9. Can't reset Windows 10 - no start menu, internet

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't reset Windows 10 - no start menu, internet: I was having issues with "sleep" and other driver issues so I thought I would try to use a restore point. I tried restoring to a point about a month ago but sometime during this process Windows crashed (frowny face and all) and I was stuck in a loop of crashing....
  10. Resetting Win 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Resetting Win 10 Start Menu: Is it possible to reset the win 10 start menu to the day I installed win 10? I'm having all kind of little issues with it now that I didn't before and I'd like to reset. I know there was a method to do this in the preview builds but that doesn't seem to work anymore. 24319