Windows 10: Start menu, search bar and all Windows 10 apps not working

Discus and support Start menu, search bar and all Windows 10 apps not working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm on 1903. I can't even update to 1909 because settings app doesn't work, neither does the XBox one, nothing. Any know ways to fix this submitted by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/megajackdark, Feb 13, 2020 at 1:42 PM.

1. Start menu, search bar and all Windows 10 apps not working

I'm on 1903. I can't even update to 1909 because settings app doesn't work, neither does the XBox one, nothing. Any know ways to fix this

submitted by /u/megajackdark
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/megajackdark, Feb 13, 2020 at 1:42 PM

2. Issues with accessing apps throuhg Start Menu and Search bar on windows10.

Hi Indrik,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if some system files is corrupt.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Are you getting any error message when you click on Start Menu?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in Microsoft Help Article about Start menu issues and also try to start Windows Search service. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to refer to the suggestion provided in the Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Step 2: I suggest you to try to start Windows Search services
    and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type "services.msc" without the quotes and click on it.

3. Search for Windows Search.

4. Double click on it and under Startup type, select
    Automatic.

5. Then click on Start button.

Note: If you are not able to change the Startup type, then continue starting the service by clicking on Start button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using Start Menu and search bar, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 13, 2020 at 1:46 PM
  3. Cursus Win User
    Start Bar not working after update install in Windows 10

Hi, tried as you suggest. It starts and says Checking application registration... and the green progress bar just goes on and on (let it run for over two hours) and never gets to the next step. Any other suggestions?

4. carolWK Win User

Start menu, search bar and all Windows 10 apps not working

WINDOWS 10 START MENU and SEARCH STOPPED WORKING - FIXED all -- BUT APPS DISAPPEARED...

• AUG 24, 2015:
    • START MENU and SEARCH stopped working --(AND many items on the task bar disappeared or stopped working). Also the apps were no longer accessible.
    • To fix, I tried all the fixes suggested by MS support that I found in the answers to others with the same problem--but none of it worked.
    • I FIXED THE PROBLEM by using RESTORE ...(YAY!!!)... and restored my system to the state it was in before the last update I had received.
    • It took forever.. (I went to bed and let it run overnight) BUT IT WORKED! EVERYTHING IS WORKING: start menu, search, etc. etc. Everything was back and working except for the APPS... no apps appeared in the start menu and the 'app store' icon was still
      missing from the task bar.
    • After all was restored, I did a Windows 10 UPDATE, to get back the updates that were removed when i did a system restore--everything worked out fine!
    • HOWEVER, all the APPS were still missing
      from the start menu and the MS APP STORE icon is still missing from the task bar.
    • BUT I am able to add apps back to the computer (and to the start menu) one by one.
    • ...... Anyone know of a way to restore all the apps to my computer and restore the "Store" icon back to my task bar?

Thema:

Start menu, search bar and all Windows 10 apps not working

1. Start menu, search bar and all Windows 10 apps not working - Similar Threads - Start menu search

2. Windows start menu and search bar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows start menu and search bar not working: Yesterday I updated a pc to windows 10 version 1909 and applied all the recent updates. After this, when I tried to open the start menu or use the search bar nothing would work. Even the windows key did nothing. Not knowing if this was a standalone fault I updated another pc...
  3. Start Menu, Search bar, all Windows Apps and Notification Center not working after last update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu, Search bar, all Windows Apps and Notification Center not working after last update: Start menu, search bar, all Windows Apps and Notification Center don't work anymore. They simply don't open. I've installed Windows updates, restarted my Computer, tried creating a new user, tried using system repair and reinstalling windows apps via power shell. Nothing...
  4. search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working: Hello, no idea why but typing in my start menu and search box suddenly doesn't work. Oddly after playing around with powershell and some tips online (see below) I have gone from nothing appearing in the search box when I type to only the first character of whatever I type...
  5. Start Menu Search Not Working

Start Menu Search Not Working: When I search for files using the regular Windows Explorer when in a folder it works fine. When I press the windows key and type something it now shoes completely empty. I have tried a lot of things within Windows to fix this such as rebuilding the index for search but that...
  6. start menu, and all apps arent working on windows 10

start menu, and all apps arent working on windows 10: i have no acess to my start menu, or apps such as settings. i can run chrome, files but cannot open any pictures or anything. ive been stuck like this for the past 8 months now. any fixes would be appreciated. ive spent 200 hours running tests and scans and nothing works. i...
  7. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working: I was reluctant to run the update August 30, 2019—KB4512941 to and for good reasons after having to reinstall window on my HP Workstation. Now Fast forward a month and surly the issues must be resolved ? Well after install the update on my workstation laptop now the...
  8. No Search Bar in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Search Bar in Start Menu: Hello, My start menu has no search bar. I looked this up on the forum, and one answer was to go into Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> check mark the box for 'Windows Search' -> Reboot. Problem 1: 'Windows Search' is not on my list...
  9. Start Menu Search Bar

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Bar: Prior versions of windows allowed me to hit the handy-dandy start-menu button, type a document name in the search bar, and recent documents I pulled up with the search words would show up - the charm of that feature was that I could close a document or spreadsheet confident...
  10. Start Menu Search Bar

Start Menu Search Bar: [ATTACH] I messed up something and now when ever i type something in the start menu search bar, i see a preview pane like something (containing open,open file location,pin to start,pin to taskbar)beside the search results.I don't want my search bar like this, i want my...