Windows 10: Start menu, search bar and taskbar software doesn't work after update

Discus and support Start menu, search bar and taskbar software doesn't work after update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. After the latest update my start menu, search and most of the pinned programs on the taskbar stopped working along with other programs such as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eilhart, Nov 24, 2019.

1. eilhart Win User

Start menu, search bar and taskbar software doesn't work after update

Hello. After the latest update my start menu, search and most of the pinned programs on the taskbar stopped working along with other programs such as VLC media player, Google Chrome. Right clicking on pinned items don't do anything. I can't remove them because of this. I can however run google chrome and VLC if I right click on their desktop shortcuts and run them as admin. Double clicking shortcuts on the desktop doesn't work either. I uninstalled VLC and installed it afresh. Now the desktop shortcut works but when I make it fullscreen the taskbar still shows. When I open Chrome as admin, the icon in the taskbar is blank and separate from the non-working pinned Chrome icon. Also, a weird thing I noticed, the icons on my desktop blink every so often.

My version shows 1903 (OS Build 18362.476) when I type winver in the powershell. The windows key+shift+S clipping tool doesn't work. Since the the start menu doesn't work, I installed paint.net to take screenshots of my update history. After I took the screenshots and saved them in my pictures folder. I went there and it said you don't have permission for this folder. I clicked on Continue with admin icon beside it to access the folder. It seems like everything is locked. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm on my own admin user account. I'm also logged in to my Microsoft account in this user account. Below are the screenshots of my update history. Not sure how to fix these problems.

Start menu, search bar and taskbar software doesn't work after update [​IMG]

I also want to add that I ran a disk check because it was recommended in the action center and no errors were found.

edit: I saw there is an optional update for version 1909. I'm gonna attempt to install that now. Maybe it will fix these errors.

:)

eilhart, Nov 24, 2019
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Nov 24, 2019
  3. Shoaib Win User
    Windows-10 update KB4058043: Search bar doesn't work after update

After the most recent Store reliability update (KB4058043), I have the exact same problems as described in a year-old update issue:

Windows 10 Anniversary update: Search bar doesn't work after update

In addition to the start menu, entering search text in the "Windows Settings" dialog's search-box also freezes it.

I've tried all solutions provided therein, but none has worked so far. So far I've tried solutions based on

• DCIM tool
    • A PowerShell script
    • Tweaking.com's repair tool

How do I fix it?

Shoaib, Nov 24, 2019
  4. Cursus Win User

Start Bar not working after update install in Windows 10

Hi, tried as you suggest. It starts and says Checking application registration... and the green progress bar just goes on and on (let it run for over two hours) and never gets to the next step. Any other suggestions?

Cursus, Nov 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Start menu, search bar and taskbar software doesn't work after update - Similar Threads - Start menu search

2. Not working taskbar and search bar and start menu and all on the right of taskbar not...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not working taskbar and search bar and start menu and all on the right of taskbar not...: Hello, i have a bad, bad, bad news.My taskbar not working, when i click on something on right of it it not work, but opens apps on taskbar as well as before.Them most needed part of Every windows that have Start button, Start button and Start menu... NOT WORK.Search bar too...
  3. Not working taskbar and search bar and start menu and all on the right of taskbar not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not working taskbar and search bar and start menu and all on the right of taskbar not...: Hello, i have a bad, bad, bad news.My taskbar not working, when i click on something on right of it it not work, but opens apps on taskbar as well as before.Them most needed part of Every windows that have Start button, Start button and Start menu... NOT WORK.Search bar too...
  4. Not working taskbar and search bar and start menu and all on the right of taskbar not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore: hello guys , i am having a problem that is really annoying me , the starting menu doesn't appear anymore , no matter the method i use to try to make it pop up , the search bar as well it only appears once, when i restart explorer from manager then won't appear anymore,, this...
  6. start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore: hello guys , i am having a problem that is really annoying me , the starting menu doesn't appear anymore , no matter the method i use to try to make it pop up , the search bar as well it only appears once, when i restart explorer from manager then won't appear anymore,, this...
  7. start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. start menu search bar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu search bar not working: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or any app it just keep reloading and...
  9. Search bar in taskbar doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Search bar in taskbar doesn't work: I have the "Search the web and Windows" bar in my taskbar but I can't type anything into it. If I go to "File Explorer" in the start panel, I can search for files. This worked in the past and I don't know what might have happened to make it stop working. I'm still...
  10. Start menu, search, and right clicking taskbar doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, search, and right clicking taskbar doesn't work: Hi i notice that overtime, my star menu, search bar, and/or right click taskbar doesn't work unless i restart the computer or restart Windows Explorer in task manager. I have a feeling standing by my pc is causing this. Any1 know why this is happening? my computer is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after windows update search bar doesnt work

2. search bar doesnt work after recent update version 1909