Windows 10: Start Menu/Windows won't work

Discus and support Start Menu/Windows won't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've this weird issue with my Start bar, search bar and various Windows related things. Start Menu - It won't appear at all, can't left click it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Varph, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Varph Win User

Start Menu/Windows won't work

I've this weird issue with my Start bar, search bar and various Windows related things.

Start Menu - It won't appear at all, can't left click it.
    Search Bar - Does nothing at all.
    Shortcuts - They function and I can rearrange them but I cannot right click them.

Various windows related things are also being extremely slow or unresponsive, The task manager for example takes ages to appear. Navigating the control panel is fine but the Windows 10 settings area is odd, I can't create a new user(clicking it does nothing) and when I explore the "Start" part of personalization, checking any of the options takes about 30 seconds to register.

I've tried a bunch of cmd/powershell related fixes and got no where but I'm up for anything here, plzhalp.

:)

Varph, Oct 16, 2015
  2. iAlexQA Win User

"unpin from start" and "use start full screen" not working!

You have same problems like others - Pin to start - NOT WORKING.

Looks like start menu is badly broken, pin/unpin not working, any other customization options for start menu won't work too, some users report that click on start menu won't open it at all.

iAlexQA, Oct 16, 2015
  3. Start button does not work in Windows 10

Apparently need to use the start menu to do this and the start menu won't work.

BarbaraPaulson, Oct 16, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

JohnC, Oct 17, 2015
  5. Hello Varph Welcome to the Ten Forums!

The first question I have for you here is did you just see the 10 upgrade take place? If so and it was activated you can forget about keeping the upgrade and if having seen the 10 media created using the Media Creation Tool option and not simply the upgrade through Windows updates option nuke the buggy upgrade to see a nice clean install of 10 go on! The problems you are seeing show the upgrade did not fully install 10 as it should have and is typical of bugged up 10 upgrades!

Been there done that already on several occasions trying to get two desktops and a 7 laptop upgraded to give 10 a good try.
    (and also why I maintain a 10/7 dual boot while none of the clean installs has been found buggy to date)

Too bad you didn't see this guide first which can save a lot of headaches contending with "Bugyy" upgrade installs! Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

On the 32bit 7 Home Premium laptop here the upgrade saw the Start button gone and no access to the AllApps section as well as the Setting screen being totally blank! Fortunately I was already expecting to see the upgrade replaced immediately with a full Clean Install of 10 before making the change from the 32bit to 64bit 10 Home edition!

Night Hawk, Oct 17, 2015
  6. Varph Win User
    No I've had my Windows 10 for quite some time now. I took appart my PC and put it back together and since then it broke but I don't know why/how it happened.

Varph, Oct 17, 2015
  7. When you say took your pc apart did that included unplugging drives and hardwares from the board like swapping some out? I'm trying to get an idea on why you would be seeing this if you had followed the original upgrade with a clean install since something was changed. The upgrade bug would be the expected end result with the fast replacement install fix there.

If you had unintentionally switched drive cables between drives in some way you wouldn't have run into any of this. I know that from the 10/7 dual boot here where I switched cables to see the 10 drive previously second become the first in the bios drive listing. Yet the Disk Management shows 7 as Disk 2 and 10 as Disk 3? I suspect the two Sata 3 ports as being reserved for Disk 0 and 1 there!

Night Hawk, Oct 17, 2015
  8. Varph Win User

Literally everything in the PC was swapped out and back in at one point. Actually the sata cables might not have went into the same slots as what they are now, I shall have to try that tomorrow.

Varph, Oct 17, 2015
  9. Varph Win User
    OK that did nothing, nor did the scannow or DISM things.

Varph, Oct 17, 2015
  10. JohnC Win User
    JohnC, Oct 17, 2015
  11. windoz Win User
    Night Hawk,
    My wife's computer got an "upgrade" 10 install from 8.1 and has been glitchy, freezy and generally slow ever since. This computer was purchased in late 2012 and originally came with 8. My non-tech-savvy wife went ahead and did some method unknown to me upgrade to 8.1 and the machine has never been right.

My thought, at this point within the 30 days, is to downgrade back to 8.1 and then do a clean install of 10. I'm thinking this may undo the botched "upgrade" installation, as opposed to just putting bandaids on the thing. I'm new to Windows Land and want to know if this is a good plan, or if I'm simply asking for even more trouble? Computer is:

HP Pavillion g7 Laptop
    AMD A8-4500M 1.9GHz with Radeon HD Graphhics
    4.00 GB memory

The current 10 version is Build 10240

Thank You,
    Gene

windoz, Oct 17, 2015
  12. JohnC Win User
    You don't have to downgrade, just do a clean install. As long as you are activated you are set to reinstall.

JohnC, Oct 17, 2015
  13. Start Menu/Windows won't work

As far as both machines go you can easily slap a clean install of 10 on each and solve any number of issues especially for the previously bugged up 8 to 8.1 likely "Anytime Upgrade" option many desktops and laptops have been seeing over the last sever years for Vista even as well as for 7, 8, likely 8.1 as well. With 10 however the ball game will be changing a bit.

As far as the laptop I had an HP 7 model here I ended up wiping the entire drive clean after removing the OEM 300mb, 3rd party 400mb, and System Reserved partitions but was unable to grow the OEM primary let alone move it any. That got dumped fast for a fresh primary with a nice clean install of 10 to finish that one off! That was after the upgrade, first 32bit clean install followed by the 64bit cliean install when that came up. I was trying to shrink the 7 to 10 primary down to see a new second backup partition when that came up.

Upon returning it to the owner it wouldn't connect to the web for some time and then one day it suddenly was on Bing! It took a first start ups at that location to get 10 to properly detect the WiFi there since the upgrade was seen to here connecting by way of the router.

As for the machine you pulled apart 10 may be seeing that as a major hardware change and deactivated itself as part of a new security measure MS put in. Rather then seeing the old watermark of "This is a counterfeit copy of Windows" as seen with 7 the main functions are locked out even when arriving at the normal looking desktop. Trying to boot up in Safe Mode however might allow you to get things going again if you are able to bring up the F8 options.

Night Hawk, Oct 17, 2015
  14. Varph Win User
    Still nothing *Sad

Dunno if its relevant but my icons opened with the taskbar don't stack on the icon themselves. As an example if I open firefox, it will make another icon instead of just being a clickable one itself.

Start Menu/Windows won't work [​IMG]

Varph, Oct 17, 2015
  15. JohnC Win User
    Sorry to see your machine still has problems. Repair install should have fixed them. Not sure why it didn't. The last thing to do is a clean install. Remember to backup your data (and anything else) first. Here is the tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html . Good Luck!

JohnC, Oct 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Start Menu/Windows won't work - Similar Threads - Start Menu won't

2. Windows Start Menu Won't Work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Start Menu Won't Work: HelloI woke up today to find that my PC would not turn on properly after putting it to sleep last night. Held the button to shutdown and the PC booted up with Scanning C drive text, then finished booting. Found out my Start Menu wasn't working, so I restarted my PC again....
  3. Windows Start Menu Won't Work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Start Menu Won't Work: HelloI woke up today to find that my PC would not turn on properly after putting it to sleep last night. Held the button to shutdown and the PC booted up with Scanning C drive text, then finished booting. Found out my Start Menu wasn't working, so I restarted my PC again....
  4. Windows Start Menu Won't Work

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows button works but won't open start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows button works but won't open start menu: Recently my windows key has stopped working. I know for a fact it is not disabled or broken as I can press the windows button and it closes the start menu but it just won't open the start menu. Also whenever I hit the windows key it makes the blue circle spin on my cursor. I...
  6. Windows button works but won't open start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows button works but won't open start menu: Recently my windows key has stopped working. I know for a fact it is not disabled or broken as I can press the windows button and it closes the start menu but it just won't open the start menu. Also whenever I hit the windows key it makes the blue circle spin on my cursor. I...
  7. Windows button works but won't open start menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. start menu search won't work

start menu search won't work: since a few days ago it's become that i can't use the search bar in the start menu and this has persisted despite using sfc /scannow and multiple reboots. this is very frustrating.if i type something into the search bar, a few little dots will scroll at the top and then...
  9. Windows start menu won't open

Windows start menu won't open: When I click on the start button nothing happens. How do I get into Windows 10? When I press the windows logo key nothing happens. Please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-wont-open/b47a8366-1687-48f9-895e-bc1a6adc45c4
  10. Start menu won't work

Start menu won't work: Start menu won't work with left click but will open with right click. Started 2 days ago. Tried adding another user account but it won't let me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-wont-work/4e5e8bc5-351d-4d11-8841-80266ca35f11