Windows 10: Start menu wont open

Discus and support Start menu wont open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good day. I bought my laptop with win 10 installed. Today I tried to shutdown but could not open start menu as neither the win key nor start button was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by psd 017, Apr 13, 2016.

1. psd 017 Win User

Start menu wont open

Good day. I bought my laptop with win 10 installed. Today I tried to shutdown but could not open start menu as neither the win key nor start button was working. Any suggestions ,please.

:)

psd 017, Apr 13, 2016

2. Start menu wont open

What update was installed?

c8a1f2a5-41f1-4c8c-ba29-4bd7ad8a27d9, Apr 13, 2016
  3. Start menu wont open

editing the registry was a suggestion that had worked for a few people but not all, me included i have since put it back to its original state.

Pressing on the menu results in nothing the mouse cursor will change so you get the small spinning blue circle for a few seconds and then nothing, right clicking brings up the menu that it should but left click does nothing. At one point for a short while
    yesterday the menu did open for a few seconds but none off my apps where selectable and then the menu simply closed of its own accord.

I did a fresh install of windows and the menu worked up until the point windows updated itself then after a reboot it stopped working.

fusion9901, Apr 13, 2016
  4. cfiiman Win User

Start menu wont open

Had a similar issue and I ran the task manager and killed Cortana, that did the trick, not sure if you are having the same problem though.

cfiiman, Apr 13, 2016
  5. Try this tutorial
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Then
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums
    If they do not help then hopefully
    This will
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    It keeps all your settings and apps but you may have to reinstall any 3rd party Apps
    Before you do any try and backup any files and folders you may want to keep

hTconeM9user, Apr 13, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Please specify..............
    Which one of the following still works ..............
    1. LEFT click at Start button ?
    2. RIGHT click at Start button ?

Also, did you just buy it today ?
    If no, was there a day you did NOT have this problem ?

davidhk, Apr 13, 2016
  7. psd 017 Win User
    Thanks for responding. I bought the laptop 3 weeks ago first time the problem started. Right click gives a different start menu with no cortana no search box & some of the usual win 10 features. Seems like win 10 is a work in progress I will try the other suggestions

psd 017, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start menu wont open

1. Start menu wont open - Similar Threads - Start menu wont

2. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  3. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  4. Start Menu Wont open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu Wont open: My start menu will not open. some apps on the task bar also give error "Class Not Registered"Im also unable to open the task manager to possibly restart the process and when i try to open it its just blank with nothing in the window.... My chrome button on the task bar works...
  5. Settings/start menu wont open

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings/start menu wont open: Hey new guy here my settings/start/volume/notifications wont open and apps wont open I've tried rebooting my windows explorer and didn't do anything my calculator app won't open either. I've been having alot of trouble with my account because my settings won't sync because it...
  6. Settings/Start menu wont work or open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Settings/Start menu wont work or open: So recently my settings will not open even if I press the dedicated keys as well as the start menu. Anything on the task bar will not open but my right click somehow works? My notifications will not open either. Previous to this problem my admin account says that its...
  7. Start Menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not opening: Trying to resolve this issue for a couple of days where the start menu doesn't open when its clicked on. I have seen other posts with this issue where its an issue with personalization settings under ms-settings. I am unable to open Ms-settings because I receive the error...
  8. Windows 10 start menu or search wont open

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 start menu or search wont open: well even one build ago (im now on windows build 10051) after a while the start menu wont open and the new search also wont open. i cant even check id modern apps work because powershell is giving me a error. im running sfc /scannow atm so ill report back. 5300
  9. start menu wont open?

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu wont open?: why wont the start menu open? 18661
  10. Start Menu wont update

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu wont update: I seem to be unable to add any more programs to the listings of my start menu. The issue arose when I installed Office 2016. Access and Excel seemed to be added to the start menu listings. But the rest of the programs did not show up. The shortcuts were actually present in...