Windows 10: Strange Hibernation problem

Discus and support Strange Hibernation problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an old Samsung NB30 netbook. It came with windows 7 starter, but I installed windows 8 on it and everything ran fine. Now I did the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dannyglas, Aug 30, 2015.

1. dannyglas Win User

Strange Hibernation problem

I have an old Samsung NB30 netbook.

It came with windows 7 starter, but I installed windows 8 on it and everything ran fine.

Now I did the upgrade to windows 10 and everthing worked fine and it was faster than the windows 8, but still sluggish because I didn't do a clean re-installation for a very long time.

Today I did a system reset (clean installation) and everything works great, so much faster except one thing: hibernation.

I don't get that option in the 'shut down' menu.

I did the following

"powercfg -h on" from the admin command line,
    the hiberfil.sys is now there but I still don't get that option in the 'shut down' menu.
    I don't even get the option in the "change settings that are currently unavailable" in the "advance power options"
    The registry key says it's enabled.

"powercfg -a" gives me this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -a
    The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby (S3)
    Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
    The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Hibernate
    The hiberfile type does not support hibernation.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep
    Hibernation is not available.

The thing is that hibernation worked fine with windows 10 before the reset.

Please help

Thanks

:)

dannyglas, Aug 30, 2015

2. Hibernation too soon after sleep

I've recently encountered this strange problem for which I found no solution over the internet. My Laptop ( Windows 10 Pro Ver: 1607 Build : 14393.0 ) hibernates within 5-10 minutes after going to sleep mode ,
    although I've set it to hibernate after 180 minutes on battery and 300 minutes when plugged in. I've changed the settings and tried, but still no change. The only way to stop it has been disabling hibernate in Windows 10.

Can someone provide me a permanent solution to this problem ? What might be the cause ?

ash_maurya, Aug 30, 2015
  3. EddoX Win User
    Power Options don't work.

Sleep and Hibernate do work from the Power Shortcut on the Start Menu. This is a strange twist to the problem. I will go through the steps outlined in the

Sleep Mode Problems
    again.

EddoX, Aug 30, 2015
  4. Strange Hibernation problem

I guess, when you upgraded, Windows used an old driver/software, but after reset, it can not find it.

Try to find the newest drivers with: Drive The Life

TairikuOkami, Aug 30, 2015
  5. bro67 Win User
    The Netbooks use the Atom CPU/GPU manufactured by Intel. Majority of them will only work with Windows 7. You can get them to use Windows 8, but you will end up with BSOD's, because of certain Intel drivers for the Hard Drive. The best you can do is run Xubuntu 64bit on it, or go with Windows 7 Pro.

bro67, Aug 30, 2015
  6. dannyglas Win User
    Driver for which device, the hard drive?

dannyglas, Aug 30, 2015
  7. Power management driver, but you can update any driver, which is outdated.

TairikuOkami, Aug 30, 2015
  8. Rudy Mas Win User

You said you did 'powercfg -h on', but did you try 'powercfg -h off' first and then enabling it again with the on option?

Rudy Mas, Aug 30, 2015
  9. dannyglas Win User
    Yes I did. I event rebooted between.

dannyglas, Aug 30, 2015
  10. dannyglas Win User
    Did it, but no fix.

dannyglas, Aug 30, 2015
  11. Rudy Mas Win User
  12. dannyglas Win User
    Yes, I've been there and tried everything. Nothing solved the problem. The strange thing is that fast start works, but hibernation doesn't even though they are closely related!

dannyglas, Aug 30, 2015
  13. brianwall Win User

Do settingsin the BIOS need changing?

brianwall, Aug 30, 2015
  14. dannyglas Win User
    I checked and tried some changes, but nothing helped

dannyglas, Aug 30, 2015
  15. javalsu Win User
    I'm having the same issue with my surface 3. I found this thread with a possible solution

hibernate - Windows 10 Hibernation not available - Super User

After I enter the command in the accepted answer, I see that "hibernate" is now available on my system.
    Now I have to wait and see if it actually hibernates after 4 hours.

javalsu, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Strange Hibernation problem - Similar Threads - Strange Hibernation problem

2. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange Problem: The strangest thing just happened, I was trying to go into a zoom meeting but every time I clicked on the link, I got a download instead of new window to take me to the meeting. A moment later, I tried to copy the zoom link only to realize that the keyboard had stopped...
  3. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange Problem: The strangest thing just happened, I was trying to go into a zoom meeting but every time I clicked on the link, I got a download instead of new window to take me to the meeting. A moment later, I tried to copy the zoom link only to realize that the keyboard had stopped...
  4. Hibernate problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernate problem: Hello I got a problem when i put my laptop on hibernate. The problem is when i put my laptop on hibernate and again open my laptop the apps which opened by me before hibernate my laptop will be closed, as if i did switch off to my laptop , and if i leave my laptop open...
  5. Very strange behaviour with sleep and hibernate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very strange behaviour with sleep and hibernate: Hello everyone! I rarely use sleep or hibernate so I do not know when this problem was introduced but I first noted it earlier this week. If I put my computer to sleep it immediately wakes every time. Pretty odd, but even odder is the fact that according to powercfg /lastwake...
  6. Strange sleep/hibernate behaviour.

Strange sleep/hibernate behaviour.: Hi, I've just bought an HP Zbook Studio G7, and I'm having issues when I try to put the system to sleep using the 'sleep' key on a Logitech MX Keys Bluetooth keyboard. I'm running Windows 10 Pro version 2004. All drivers are up to date. When I press the sleep key on the...
  7. Problems with hibernate

Problems with hibernate: I almost only use hibernate when turning off my Windows 10 computer. But often I guess every 10th time when I turn on my computer after hibernate Windows 10 just starts as if I had turned of my computer or made a restart. When it does that all my work has gone. Can I see in...
  8. Hibernation problem

Hibernation problem: I have 2 PCs, both running Windows 10 Home. My older one is a quad-core i7 and the new one is a 6-core i7 Dell XPS. Both desktops have been updated to the latest Windows update stuff but I'm having a hibernation problem on the Dell. When I hibernate my old PC, clicking on...
  9. Hibernation Problem

Hibernation Problem: Using Win 10, computer is set for hibernation however when I go to start/power/hibernate, computer goes to hibernation only to come back on in less than a minute. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hibernation-problem/0e5b7139-5ff5-4be1-8d74-c48ab6e29377
  10. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Problem: I noticed a strange issue with my PC today. I am running Win 10 Pro (64 bit) and after I restarted my PC today, I observed the following things: 1. Some of the icons are missing on the taskbar. There used to be icons for Store, Calculator, Edge on my taskbar. 2. I also...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp z book frequently hibernation