Windows 10: Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 Hibernate is a power-saving state designed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by LittleJay, Nov 9, 2014.

1. LittleJay Win User

Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

Hibernate is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops, and might not be available for all PCs (PCs with InstantGo don't have the hibernate option). While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk to the hiberfile (C:\hiberfil.sys), and then turns off your computer. Hibernate uses less power than sleep and when you start up the PC again, youre back to where you left off (though not as fast as sleep). Use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop or tablet for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.
    • PCs with InstantGo don't have the hibernate option.
    • By default, the hidden protected OS "C:\hiberfil.sys" file is 75% of the total amount of RAM installed on your computer.
    • If you disable hibernate, fast startup will also get disabled.
    • If you disable hibernate, hibernate will no longer show in the Power menu.
    specify the hiberfile type as reduced to significantly reduce the size of the hiberfile (C:\hiberfil.sys) to about half of its full size.

If you want to use hibernate, then be sure to specify the hiberfile type as full.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable hibernate and restore or delete the hiberfil.sys file in Windows 10.

*WarningYou must be signed in to Windows as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Hibernate in Elevated Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Hibernate using a REG File Download
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Hibernate in Registry Editor
    • Option Four: To Turn On or Off Hibernate in Advanced Power Options

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Hibernate in Elevated Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Do step 3 or step 4 below for what you would like to do.

3. To Enable Hibernate
    *note This step will restore the hiberfil.sys file and the Hibernate after Power Option under Sleep.
    A) In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

powercfg -h on

Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 [​IMG]

C) If you would like to have hibernate turned on, then you could do step 2 in OPTION FOUR below.

D) If you like, you may also wish to add or remove Hibernate in power button menus.

E) Go to step 5 below.

4. To Disable Hibernate
    *note This step will disable hibernation, disable power option under Sleep.
    A) In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

powercfg -h off

B) Check your step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Hibernate using a REG File Download
    1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Hibernate

*note This step will restore the hiberfil.sys file and the Hibernate after Power Option under Sleep.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Hibernate.reg

Download

3. To Disable Hibernate
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Hibernate.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply the changes.

8. If you enabled hibernate and would like to have hibernate turned on, then you could do step 2 in OPTION FOUR below.

9. If you like, you may also wish to add or remove Hibernate in power button menus.

10. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Hibernate in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type regedit, and click/tap on OK.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.

3. In Registry Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

4. In the right pane of the Power key, double click/tap on HibernateEnabled, and do step 5or step 6 below for what you would like to do. (see screenshot above)

5. To Enable Hibernate
    A) Type in 1, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Hibernate
    A) Type in 0 (zero), and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)

B) Check your step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Close regedit, and restart the computer to apply the changes.

8. If you enabled hibernate and would like to have hibernate turned on, then you could do step 2 in OPTION FOUR below.

9. If you like, you may also wish to add or remove Hibernate in power button menus.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Turn On or Off Hibernate in Advanced Power Options

*note This option does not disable hibernate, but only turns hibernate on or off for your power plan.
    1. Do either step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Hibernate
    A) If you have not already, then you will need to enable hibernate using either Option One, Option Two, or Option Three above first.

B) Open the step 4)

C) Under Hibernate after, set the Setting (Minutes) to how many minutes you want your computer to sit idle for before it goes into hibernation. (see screenshot step 4)

D) Go to step 4.

3. To Turn Off Hibernate
    *note If you disabled hibernate using Option One, Option Two, or Option Three above, then there's no need to do this step since Hibernate after will no longer be listed in your power options.
    A) Open the step 4)

B) Under Hibernate after, set the Setting (Minutes) to Never. (see screenshot below step 4)

C) Go to step 4.
    4. When finished, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

LittleJay, Nov 9, 2014
  2. Gina_on_the_thread, Nov 9, 2014
  3. Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

Thanks, it was helpful. Since I have turned hibernate off using elevated command prompt I noticed that I have freed up some space.

vivek kumar, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Vivek,

This would be from the "C:\hiberfil.sys" file that hibernate uses. The file uses 75% of the total amount of RAM installed on your computer. *Smile

Brink, Aug 27, 2015
  5. smooshie Win User
    Help! this is a great guide, but I was under the false impression (my own fault) that I needed to restore the Hibernate option when I didn't need to.

I ran the Enable Hibernate.reg file (option 2), and now the battery icon on my computer is not showing. Also, in power options, it no longer shows the separate options for when the computer is plugged in and when it's on battery.
    Instead, there is only one option for choosing when the computer sleeps/turns of display (as opposed to one option for choosing when it sleeps/turns off display when plugged in, and one option for choosing when it sleeps/turns off display when on battery).

How do I undo the changes that the .reg file made? Or is something else the problem?

Please help!

smooshie, Aug 30, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello smooshie, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It sounds like you have some other issue, since the .reg file in OPTION TWO only enables hibernate using the same method as OPTION THREEE, but automatically for you.

You can use any of the disable hibernate options to undo enabling hibernate, but I don't think that's your issue.

You won't have a "plugged in" or "battery" option unless your PC has a battery (ex: laptop) or a connected UPS (ex: desktop PC).

Brink, Aug 30, 2015
  7. smooshie Win User

Hi Brink!

Thanks for the warm welcome *Smile
    I'm using a laptop so it has a battery.
    I am not sure what happened, but this morning, the battery icon is showing now and everything seems to be back working. I did try to edit the settings by following this solution :
    Solved Battery and Location Icon in Notification Area missing - Win 10 Pro. - Windows 10 Forums

Initially, I restarted the computer about 2 or so times. It didn't work, so I started to panic (hence my previous post).
    But this morning, my mom turned on the computer, and the battery icon is showing again.

Maybe it's the difference between a restart and turning the PC off and then on?

I'm not sure....

But anyways, no worries. Problem solved! (Although I'm not quite sure how....*sarc)

smooshie, Aug 30, 2015
  8. f14tomcat Win User
    Hey , Smooshie! Can't tell much from your system specs (need to update them, really helps), but check your BIOS settings. If you have S4-S5 enabled, disable them. Take it back to S3. Sleep and Hibernate will behave better.

f14tomcat, Aug 30, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news smooshie. *Smile

Brink, Aug 30, 2015
  10. smooshie Win User
    Hi f14tomcat, thanks for the advice. If it helps, added my system specs *Smile

smooshie, Sep 1, 2015
  11. Bullet100 Win User
    Awesome and very detailed guide yet again.

Bullet100, Sep 2, 2015
  12. Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

I could really need some help,tried via registry,dword is set to 0,merged the .reg file,made no difference,under power plans,hibernation and sleep is set to never,elevated command came up with error

and hiberfil.sys still standing tall in Windows folder

Any guidance,would be appreciated!

proudtobegreek, Sep 22, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey mate, *Smile

Are you able to use any of the other options to disable hibernate?

You might see if restarting the computer may allow you to afterwards.

Brink, Sep 22, 2015
  14. I think i covered all four of them,
    registry manually
    download and merge reg file
    copy and paste powercfg -h off in elevated cmd
    via power options-plan.
    What process could be holding hiberfil to be accessed,as stated in TreeSize? (second snippet)

proudtobegreek, Sep 22, 2015
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Hibernate

2. Windows 11 - Hibernate enabled, cannot auto hibernate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Hibernate enabled, cannot auto hibernate: Hi,I have windows 11 and have just enabled hibernate so that it can be manually activated. yay!I have also set my hibernate to full space capacity instead of the default i think it is 40%1 Next I would like to set my computer to automatically hibernate after 30 minutes...
  3. Windows 11 - Hibernate enabled, cannot auto hibernate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Hibernate enabled, cannot auto hibernate: Hi,I have windows 11 and have just enabled hibernate so that it can be manually activated. yay!I have also set my hibernate to full space capacity instead of the default i think it is 40%1 Next I would like to set my computer to automatically hibernate after 30 minutes...
  4. Disable Hibernate Mode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable Hibernate Mode: Is it fine to disable hiberfil.sys when i don't use hibernate mode? But hibernate mode is not on power settting with shut down and restart. What happen after i disable hibernate mode? Is the startup become slow if i turn on my pc?...
  5. How to Enable or Disable Hibernation using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Hibernation using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Hibernation allows you to save the state of the computer without losing any unsaved […] This article How to Enable or Disable Hibernation using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Windows To Go and Hibernation - Enabled, but hangs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows To Go and Hibernation - Enabled, but hangs: I have enabled Hibernation in the group policy editor on my Enterprise x64 Windows To Go installation on my Samsung T5 portable hard drive. However, whenever I go into hibernation either cmd shutdown /h, or using power button after setting it to hibernate action the screen...
  7. Negate/Disable Hibernate?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Negate/Disable Hibernate?: I have a laptop Dell 64bit chip, fwiw that has Win 10 Pro 64 bit. Things now work fine after my upgrade from Win 7 Ultimate which was upgraded from Vista in "1842", ;-. Under Win 7 Ultimate I could close the laptop's clam shell and it would 'sleep' overnight and awaken on...
  8. Why hibernate is disabled in windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why hibernate is disabled in windows 10: Why hibernate is disabled in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-hibernate-is-disabled-in-windows-10/230050d1-efd4-49ef-911e-8ea8a2c2bc2c
  9. Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and the version of...
  10. Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC: How to: Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC How to Enable or Disable Windows To Go Workspace using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC editions that enables the creation of a Windows To Go workspace that can be booted from a USB-connected external...