Windows 10: Strange immovable icon on desktop

Discus and support Strange immovable icon on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Suddenly a strange icon has appeared on the upper left of the desktop of my Surface. It's immovable, floats over all windows, and interferes with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Urtica, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Urtica Win User

Strange immovable icon on desktop

Suddenly a strange icon has appeared on the upper left of the desktop of my Surface. It's immovable, floats over all windows, and interferes with pretty well darn near everything I want to do (produce documents & deal with other paperwork about 98% of the time). There is no right-click information, in fact no information of any sort -- left-click, right-click, hover tip, nada. Sorry I don't have screenshot capabilities yet: the icon is black with a sort of grayish tube and small white rectangle at the bottom of the tube. I can slide the white doodad up and down and see a percentage but it bounces right back to the bottom.

I would think it's telling my the pen battery is low -- except that I checked the battery and it's nearly to the top on both testers(1.3 in voltmeter type, 3/4 toward top of "green" in the range tester; both have proven reliable on other sizes of battery). The contacts are clean and shiny.

1. Why did this immovable monster appear?

2. What's with whoever designed it creating an immovable impenetrable in my face mess anyway?

3. What do I have to do to get rid of it?

4. Is there anything I can do to make it so I never see it again if I do manage to get rid of it?

TIA

, in very ceous mode.

:)

Urtica, Dec 25, 2015

2. Strange Icon on Desktop

Strange immovable icon on desktop [​IMG]

Can anyone please tell me what this icon represent, I do not want automatic updates added to my computer so I have not agreed to it making changes to my machine. Hopefully I am doing the right thing??

RonB

Ron Binmore, Dec 25, 2015
  3. Strange Icon on Desktop

Even if you turn it off, Windows updates would still try to install automatically. Controlling Windows updates in 10 is somewhat tedious but you can see the options here:

https://www.askvg.com/fixing-windows-10-automat...

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 25, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Looks familiar ?

Strange immovable icon on desktop [​IMG]

That is the Volume bar which will appear at top left corner of the screen if you press Fn key + Volume Left/Right key at the keyboard.
    You can have a similar bar for Brightness if you press Fn key + Brightness up/down key at the keyboard.

Yes, it is unmovable. However, the bar is supposed to disappear by itself after a few seconds. It should not stay on indefinitely.

Meanwhile, do a system restore. Pick a date when you did not have this issue as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

P.S. I do not have a Surface. So, what I wrote above may not be applicable to your tablet.

On my Surface RT, I can reproduce the same icon at upper left if I press Ctrl key + the Speaker icon at top row of the keyboard. But it will go away after a few seconds.

davidhk, Dec 25, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Dec 25, 2015
  6. Urtica Win User
    That is exactly it. Magic rays emanating from your response evidently cured the problem. I'd tried FN-every item that seemed as if it could have a percentage value. And restarted and then shut down with a pause, between attempts. Nada.

But lo! When I next turned the Surface on the bar was gone. Gone. Gone. (It was shut down overnight rather than for a few minutes, which evidently left time for the Magic Rays to work.) Strange immovable icon on desktop :)

And thanks so much. I'll have a much better idea what to do if it reappears now. Still learning my way around the Surface and installing my favorite utilities -- I've used Greenshot daily since I got it and forgot all about the snipping tool thingie.

m

Urtica, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Strange immovable icon on desktop - Similar Threads - Strange immovable icon

2. Strange behavior of desktop icons in Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange behavior of desktop icons in Windows 11.: Hallo everyone!Something happend with my icons today. Yerterday everything was ok and in right sizes but today when a launch my pc it's looks like on attached screen. Two of my icons have strange rectangle around them and their sizes are smaller then before. How to get rig of...
  3. Strange behavior of desktop icons in Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange behavior of desktop icons in Windows 11.: Hallo everyone!Something happend with my icons today. Yerterday everything was ok and in right sizes but today when a launch my pc it's looks like on attached screen. Two of my icons have strange rectangle around them and their sizes are smaller then before. How to get rig of...
  4. Strange unresponsive small icon on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange unresponsive small icon on my desktop: For the last day or two I've been seeing this small icon on my desktop. It's less than a quarter the size of a normal icon which I've placed next to it for size comparison. Has anyone seen anything like this before?If I left-click or double-click on it, nothing happens. If I...
  5. Strange unresponsive small icon on my desktop

Strange unresponsive small icon on my desktop: For the last day or two I've been seeing this small icon on my desktop. It's less than a quarter the size of a normal icon which I've placed next to it for size comparison. Has anyone seen anything like this before?If I left-click or double-click on it, nothing happens. If I...
  6. Immovable indent

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Immovable indent: When I select an entire particular paragraph the result is a small rectangular box in front of just one of the sentences that contains a 1 character indent that cannot be removed. If I deselect paragraph the box goes away but the indent remains and the indent cannot be...
  7. Strange desktop icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange desktop icon: I bought a second monitor and when I adjusted the desktop I noticed a strange stain on the desktop, what is it ?? YOU TUBE- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEZH-UQjZV8...
  8. immovable black bar on screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    immovable black bar on screen: I have an immovable black bar in the upper left side of my screen whenever i am watching a video. it has a play/pause button and the title of what I am watching and a volume indicator. I can't get rid of it or even drag it somewhere more out of the way. I can get it to leave...
  9. Desktop Icon - a strange one !!

Desktop Icon - a strange one !!: One of my desktop icons (gmail / shortcut) has always been a round red/yellow/green image. Something I have done*Redface has altered this to a blank white icon with a letter M in red upon it. Your ideas on how to get this back to 'normal' would be appreciated. Thanks in...
  10. Strange, inert icon appearing on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange, inert icon appearing on desktop: Starting yesterday I found a small icon on my desktop. It floated above all windows, was unmovable, and didn't respond to mouse clicks. When I rebooted, it was gone, but today I have the same problem -- with a different icon! Here's what today's looks like: [img] How...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Immovable icon on Screen