Windows 10: stuck in checking for updates

Discus and support stuck in checking for updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had to take my desk top back to factory specs, win 7. Went to win 10 upgrade page and ran update. Started down load then computer went to check for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by shadow42, Mar 19, 2016.

1. shadow42 Win User

stuck in checking for updates

I had to take my desk top back to factory specs, win 7. Went to win 10 upgrade page and ran update. Started down load then computer went to check for updates. It appears as if it is stuck there. Has been checking for updates 2 hours now. Am going to bed and letting it run. Will check back in morning. Any one have that problem. The desk top was upgraqded and running Win 10 before I had to take it back to factory specs.

:)

shadow42, Mar 19, 2016
  2. G.Ilex Win User

And how did you do that the first time.

As far I can see and read all over the internet the W121 is just not supported by Microsoft for getting a Windows 10 mobile build. See also the official lists I posted

Correct me if I'm wrong but did you use a registry trick to update? If you did you are doing what here at the community is considered illegal and we will not and can't help you.

G.Ilex, Mar 19, 2016
  3. G.Ilex Win User

The phone is not supported for running windows 10 mobile.

Phones and devices that can upgrade to Windows 10

Lumia Icon, 1520, 930, 640, 640XL, 730, 735, 830, 532, 535, 540, 635 1GB, 636 1GB, 638 1GB, 430, 435, BLU Win HD w510u, BLU Win HD LTE x150q, MCJ Madosma Q501

and
    supported phones in the insider program

The Micromax will never get a windows 10 mobile upgrade.

You were running an older insider build on that phone a older TH2 build (10586) but that is no longer available for your phone.

G.Ilex, Mar 19, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Many people have had the problem. Letting it run overnight will probably allow it to finally complete.

Check Google: windows 7 checking for updates

Ztruker, Mar 19, 2016
  5. Hello shadow42 Welcome to the Ten Forums!

Buggy is the most commonly used word for upgrade type installs! The Upgrade by Update option seems to continually fail as well when trying to move up from 7 to 10 while the upgrade by download using the Media Creation tool available to create the 10 media later used for the initial clean installs of 10 saw the second desktop not first with 7 Ultimate or the 7 Home Premium laptop but the second 7 Pro upgrade go smooth as silk!

The problem there might have been only finding the bugs not revealing themselves on the spot only to appear later. But each system ended up seeing full clean installs take place! The first week is when the activation servers were bogged down and the second upgrade to repair the first on the main couldn't be activated during the first week of August 2015!

For you however there is a much better alternate route besides the guide seen at Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

To get around the problems being seen by trying to download the upgrade by way of the WU instead you would first either create the 10 media to boot live from if not taking the immediate online upgrade by tool option and the advised see 10 media created to have onhand you can also download and save the "Windows.iso" to a folder and see the iso image mounted on a virtual drive for the upgrade install if not opting for a full Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Mar 19, 2016
  6. shadow42 Win User
    I ended up taking it bac to Win 8 the next morning then upgraded to Win 10. Made a disk image this time. Thanks for the replies.

shadow42, Mar 20, 2016
  7. Was that an upgrade or clean install to 10? And how are things are going now with 10? I had to ask those two off the top since if 10 had been activated you could easily slap a fresh clean install of 10 on and not have to worry so much about a possible buggy upgrade!

Keeping a full system image backup even for 8 while now if everything goes well on the 10 install having one for 10 would also be a good move to consider. If something should go wrong later you can always fall back to the image made. *Smile

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. stuck in checking for updates - Similar Threads - stuck checking updates

2. window 11 update is stuck on checking for updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    window 11 update is stuck on checking for updates: Windows Update has been stuck for days checking for updates. How can I stop this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-11-update-is-stuck-on-checking-for-updates/4b08b6f8-bfa7-401e-9e2f-549a65eb89de
  3. checking for update stuck

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    checking for update stuck: My Windows update keeps saying checking for updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checking-for-update-stuck/04d2a749-2fdb-43a3-8873-344874b403d3
  4. checking for update stuck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    checking for update stuck: My Windows update keeps saying checking for updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checking-for-update-stuck/04d2a749-2fdb-43a3-8873-344874b403d3
  5. checking for update stuck

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows Update getting stuck on Checking for Updates

Windows Update getting stuck on Checking for Updates: Hello Everyone! I am an user of Dell Inspiron 3583. Recently, I did a reset using dell OS recovery tool. But, since then, the Windows Update Page is getting stuck on Checking for updates. I contacted Microsoft Support, and they suggested me to do Clean Install by using...
  7. stuck on checking for update

stuck on checking for update: i am updating windows 7 to windows 10, i purchased and downloaded windows 10 setup tool. it is stuck in checking for updates, has been stuck all night, what can t do?...
  8. Windows 10 Update Stuck at Checking for Updates

Windows 10 Update Stuck at Checking for Updates: Windows Update has been stuck for 2 days. It keeps refreshing forever and shows nothing. I tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter, and it's been "Checking for pending restart" forever. Does anyone know how to resolve this? Thanks! [ATTACH]...
  9. Windows Update: Stuck on Checking for Updates

Windows Update: Stuck on Checking for Updates: Windows Update never finishes Checking for Updates. Does not show any message, just keeps on checking. Also Microsoft Store does not show updates for the installed apps and does not show installed app list. Reinstalling Windows is not an option. Please...
  10. Stuck Checking For Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stuck Checking For Updates: Hi All, I reinstalled my factory W7 Home Premium x64 on a new ssd before upgrading to 10. Once I got up and going, fully activated windows 7. Both W7 (updates) and W10 installer get stuck "checking for updates". Neither W7 or W10 will get any updates. Any...