Windows 10: Stuck start menu group (can't delete)

Discus and support Stuck start menu group (can't delete) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Got a couple of empty groups I can't delete. They normally go away when you delete all the tiles, but these didn't. I ran my usual script to delete all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by danannn, Oct 22, 2018.

1. danannn Win User

Stuck start menu group (can't delete)

Got a couple of empty groups I can't delete. They normally go away when you delete all the tiles, but these didn't.
    I ran my usual script to delete all bloatware from MS that comes pre-installed, so their tiles got removed but a couple groups got stuck.

What I tried:
    1) finding a way to readd some app onto these groups so I could attempt to delete it again. Couldn't figure out how.
    2) renaming to an empty name. Doesn't help, it gets invisible until you move your mouse over, and you can't resize the start menu because the group is actually still there.

Help?

:)

danannn, Oct 22, 2018
  2. 180sx Win User

Vista - Weird error trying to delete Start Menu item

Hey mate (yes im from australia)

I had this problem just before and fixed it pretty easily.
    Have to use the good old command prompt and delete from there.
    Windows is just gettin shitter and shitter isnt it. might go back to DOS soon lol

Steps> CMD in run > go to the folder (start menu folder) > type: DEL (watever the filename is) and if it says from filename put in the shortname eg. 034Michael short would maybe be 034Mich~l or sumthing like that.

THIS WILL WORK, THIS HAS HAPPEN TO ME 4 TIMES NOW LOL fukin vista!!*Bang Head :banghead:

180sx, Oct 22, 2018
  3. Edwin Win User
    How Delete a Group From Start Menu

Either, right click and unpin each and every tile within the group til the group is gone, or
    drag all tiles to a new group.

*Arrow Group App Tiles on Start in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Edwin, Oct 22, 2018
  4. beau Win User

How Delete a Group From Start Menu

I somehow created a Group in the Start Menu and now I want to get rid of it. It is located at the top of the Start Menu.

Stuck start menu group (can't delete) [​IMG]

How can it be deleted? Rt-Clicking it doesn't bring up anything.

Thema:

1. Stuck start menu group (can't delete) - Similar Threads - Stuck start menu

2. I want to delete a Start menu group

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to delete a Start menu group: I want to delete a start menu group.Here's a screenshot of what I want to delete in case needed: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-delete-a-start-menu-group/4379ee66-07bb-4051-b73c-0719b8cb1ea3
  3. I want to delete a Start menu group

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to delete a Start menu group: I want to delete a start menu group.Here's a screenshot of what I want to delete in case needed: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-delete-a-start-menu-group/4379ee66-07bb-4051-b73c-0719b8cb1ea3
  4. I want to delete a Start menu group

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start Menu Groups

Start Menu Groups: I want to change the squares that are included in the groups on my start menu, but it says they are locked. How do I unlock them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-groups/43f34af2-1a68-40ea-ad4c-82f2256d3e21
  6. More Groups on Start Menu

More Groups on Start Menu: I know how to add and remove things from the Start menu but is it possible to add more Groups? I can only see 4, which can be renamed, but I'd like a few more in order to organise my icons. 23789
  7. How Delete a Group From Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How Delete a Group From Start Menu: I somehow created a Group in the Start Menu and now I want to get rid of it. It is located at the top of the Start Menu. [img] How can it be deleted? Rt-Clicking it doesn't bring up anything. 82935
  8. Anyway to delete the start menu empty tile groups?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyway to delete the start menu empty tile groups?: There is alot of empty space to the right of my start group and I can't seem to resize it or delete it, the only way I can interact with that area is if I drag something in it and only can I rename the group. Heres a pick I found online if no one understands what I mean...
  9. Defining groups in the Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Defining groups in the Start menu: In W8.1 it was possible to define groups of tiles with titles for each group on the start screen. Has anybody figured ot how to do that in the W10 start menu. 5276
  10. Group names on start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Group names on start menu: Is there a setting to remove "group names" and grouping on the start menu. To the right of the group name input box there is a "2 slice" hamburger that does not do anything except invite naming of the group. I would prefer to have free alignment if that is possible. 53954

Users found this page by searching for:

1. groupbox stuck on start menu

2. start menu dell group cant remobve