Windows 10: Surface Pro 3 Type Cover issue

Discus and support Surface Pro 3 Type Cover issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I wiped the hard drive the typecover keyboard only lights up when I have almost no Ipower in the battery,as soon as I try to recharge the battery it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rab(0), Dec 25, 2018.

1. rab(0) Win User

Surface Pro 3 Type Cover issue

I wiped the hard drive the typecover keyboard only lights up when I have almost no Ipower in the battery,as soon as I try to recharge the battery it goes black. I cannot remember the password,I have even tried the password for other things.I am beginning to think I am computer stupid but I am 84 years old

Richard

***Title modified from: I have a surface 3 pro***

:)

rab(0), Dec 25, 2018
  2. Legspeed Win User

Type Cover issues, sporadic behavior in Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

These steps do not solve the problem. I have a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 with all updates installed. I was in the preview program. At the last preview, I did a complete clean install to fix this exact problem. It was fixed and now this issue is
    back.

Now, with my brand new RTM version of Windows I am having the same problem again.

I want to emphasize that I have ALL the updates installed.

I have just done the following:

• Booted the machine
    • Put the machine to sleep by closing the type cover (it must sleep)
    • Opened the type cover
    • Discovered that (once again) the type cover does not respond
    • Used the touch interface to navigate to the device manager
    • Discovered that (once again) the Surface Type Cover driver is NOT LOADING
    • Forced it to load by adding the Surface Type Cover
    • Which causes the Type Cover to resume working (without a reboot, which also works)

Ok -- so the problem (which is a regression, I believe) is that the driver is once again NOT LOADING correctly with the latest versions of Win10. So, this needs to get actually fixed again.

This now never doesn't happen (it other words, it is fully repeatable, all the time, 100% broken). At least for me. (Yes, I have cleaned the contacts on the keyboard and Surface Pro3 unit).

One more observation -- I do have Bluetooth HID devices paired (but not near, not active when this problem occurs.). It could be the thing that makes a few of us different.

Anyhow -- this is real and it is a real problem for the Surface Pro 3.

Legspeed, Dec 25, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    New Surface Pro 3 Firmware Updates - August 24, 2017

Source: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 update history | Surface firmware updates

See also: Updates for Surface Pro 3 (24 Aug 2017) Surface

Surface Pro 3 firmware and driver package download link: Download Surface Pro 3 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Brink, Dec 25, 2018
  4. Legspeed Win User

Type Cover issues, sporadic behavior in Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

Just to say that this is still a problem with the type cover.

To recap -- every time the Surface Pro 3 goes to sleep it will fail to reload the Surface Type Cover drivers when it wakes up.

I have little installed but Office. I'm running the latest preview version of Win 10. I have downloaded and fully reinstalled Surface Pro 3 drivers several time.

The last time I was able to fix this issue was a completely clean install of the last Win 10 preview version prior to the RTM version. The RTM version worked correctly for awhile until an update again broke the Type Cover.

Again -- I suspect some regression in a post RTM build. I suspect not everyone has this problem and that it could be the presence of other HID drivers that are not unloading or reloading correctly and thus cause the Type Cover drivers to fail.

I would be grateful for any insight or other fixes. I don't want to do a clean install, but that's the next step.

Legspeed, Dec 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Surface Pro 3 Type Cover issue - Similar Threads - Surface Pro Type

2. Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover: Is the Surface Pro 8 with Windows 11 compatible with the Type Cover I have for my Surface Pro 4? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-8-type-cover/bf683ef6-108f-40bb-b7f6-cdb5901a8500
  3. Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover: Is the Surface Pro 8 with Windows 11 compatible with the Type Cover I have for my Surface Pro 4? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-8-type-cover/bf683ef6-108f-40bb-b7f6-cdb5901a8500
  4. type cover touch pad for surface pro 7

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    type cover touch pad for surface pro 7: On my type cover touchpad I cannot highlight text or use the scrollbar, but I can do everything else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/type-cover-touch-pad-for-surface-pro-7/69258629-ddd5-4458-8e9e-e621b2a1ad5f
  5. How to enable typing keyboard cover for Surface Pro

How to enable typing keyboard cover for Surface Pro: Accidentally disabled my typing keyboard cover. How do I enable it and stop using pop up keyboard. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-typing-keyboard-cover-for-surface/4ccc550f-3b3a-48fa-8292-e9e710dbe9d7
  6. Surface Pro 4 Type Cover stopped working.

Surface Pro 4 Type Cover stopped working.: Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 10/8/2019 12:47:52 PM Event ID: 442 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-UO0VK4E...
  7. Surface Pro 3 missing type cover drivers

Surface Pro 3 missing type cover drivers: My surface pro 3 has missing type cover drivers, i tried downloading the surface firmware according to my windows build but to no avail. The type cover works on my friends surface pro 3 but not mine. Ive tried hard resets, soft resets and ive even tried reinstalling windows...
  8. Surface 3 Pro Type Cover issue

Surface 3 Pro Type Cover issue: I wiped the hard drive the typecover keyboard only lights up when I have almost no Ipower in the battery,as soon as I try to recharge the battery it goes black. I cannot remember the password,I have even tried the password for other things.I am beginning to think I am...
  9. Surface Type Cover stopped

Surface Type Cover stopped: After installing the latest updates, my stopped working I have taken it off and put it back on I have uninstalled the driver and reinstalled Then I tried to uninstall the windows updates but they won't stay uninstalled. Any ideas?...
  10. Surface Pro 4 Type Cover

Surface Pro 4 Type Cover: Recently, I have been trying to use my Surface Pro 4 with the keyboard cover, but the keyboard cover has been unresponsive. I have tried everything on your troubleshoot page for the keyboard cover from the two-button shut down to cleaning it to updating and resetting my...