Windows 10: System booting from wrong drive after installing new parts

Discus and support System booting from wrong drive after installing new parts in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I was booting Windows 10 from a drive labelled C: and all was well and good. Then I changed some parts around in my computer. Lo and behold, my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dright, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Dright Win User

System booting from wrong drive after installing new parts

So I was booting Windows 10 from a drive labelled C: and all was well and good.

Then I changed some parts around in my computer. Lo and behold, my computer is still booting the OS on C:, but from an unlabelled UEFI system partition on an external hard drive. Wat.

I checked C:\boot, and there's nothing there. Startup repair does nothing, since it's properly booting after all (from the wrong place).

I need to move this computer around, so leaving it the way it is is not an option. I've tried exporting the system bcd and putting it in C:\boot and marking the partition as active, but the bios still won't recognize the drive as bootable, so I'm assuming my MBR is toast. I'm also pretty sure bootrec is acting on the mysterious external system partition by default when I try to repair the MBR.

I won't ask for a magic solution, since this is a pretty weird situation, but do you have any ideas of things I could try, or tools that would fix the MBR on the correct drive, or restore the stuff that should be in C:\boot by default?

Thanks,

:)

Dright, Jun 3, 2016

2. Windows 10 installation fails

There is no existing operating system as brand new machine.

Nothing wrong with Windows 10 media as if I remove 4 hard drives it installs to SSD on its own with no problem.

So why is it putting part on SSD and part on Hard drive and changing from GPT

JohnWardOD, Jun 3, 2016
  3. Windows 10 usb reboots into installer

Hello microsoft community

I'm having a problem with my new pc, where i am trying to install windows 10.

I made it boot from a usb, and then went to the part where you select the disk to install windows to, i selected that and it started installing. A few minutes later it started rebooting, but booted into the installer again. Where it was at the first step.

I think something went wrong, so i went into the boot menu, and saw that it had added a new drive called "UEFI Hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager (P0: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB)." It was set to boot from the usb, so should i switch it to the new drive?

MarcusKalør, Jun 3, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Unfortunately, not knowing what parts you moved around makes it difficult to do a long-distance diagnosis but generally it doesn't take much to inadvertently plug the drive cables into a different controller port on the motherboard from what is was on when the OS was installed. When having such problems it is good to first unplug anything not needed such as external drives then try again.

Berton, Jun 3, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2016
  6. Dright Win User
    I've attached the disk manager screenshot, and what I changed was the motherboard (and everything else except the disks).

I managed to write a new MBR with bootsect, and my BIOS sees it as bootable, but it just gets stuck in a restart loop (just an underscore is displayed, no debug info).

The main remaining problem in my mind is that c:\boot is empty.

I have tried removing all other drives, but it won't boot without the external one.

Dright, Jun 4, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    simrick, Jun 4, 2016
  8. Dright Win User

That looks good. I'll try it, and if it works, I'll mark this as solved. Thanks!

Dright, Jun 4, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes. *Smile

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. System booting from wrong drive after installing new parts - Similar Threads - System booting wrong

2. Windows booting from wrong drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows booting from wrong drive: When I re-built my PC in 2021, I installed an M.2 drive and a fresh version of windows 10 but I also left the original C: drive in the PC and have never bothered to format it an oversight I know. For the last 3 years, I've had no issues with windows running off the new M2...
  3. Windows booting from wrong drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows booting from wrong drive: When I re-built my PC in 2021, I installed an M.2 drive and a fresh version of windows 10 but I also left the original C: drive in the PC and have never bothered to format it an oversight I know. For the last 3 years, I've had no issues with windows running off the new M2...
  4. Windows booting from wrong drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Installing Virus on Dual Boot Parted Drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Virus on Dual Boot Parted Drive?: Is there a safe way to install a virus on your computer?I’m trying to test something and I wondered if I created a second drive with Windows installed on it, and installed said virus on that, whether it could migrate across to the other HDD/SSDs.If not, what is the best way...
  6. Installing Virus on Dual Boot Parted Drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Virus on Dual Boot Parted Drive?: Is there a safe way to install a virus on your computer?I’m trying to test something and I wondered if I created a second drive with Windows installed on it, and installed said virus on that, whether it could migrate across to the other HDD/SSDs.If not, what is the best way...
  7. New Boot Drive Showing Wrong Capacity

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New Boot Drive Showing Wrong Capacity: I just picked up a new SSD for my system, and after copying everything over from my old hard drive, it now shows the same capacity and name as the old one as well. I know the name can be changed easily, however I’ve restarted the system multiple times and the new drive still...
  8. Laptop boots from wrong drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop boots from wrong drive: I got an SSD for my HP Envy dv6 and installed Windows 10 on it. When I did it I only had the SSD connected to my laptop, and before adding back the HDD, I had no problem with the boot up. I connected back the HDD with Windows 10 on it. This created a problem where no matter...
  9. Installed a new drive, now my system tries to boot from the wrong drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed a new drive, now my system tries to boot from the wrong drive: So while I was cleaning out my garage, I found an old 2TB HDD that I had used on an old system. I decided to install it in my new system, which was running on a single 1TB SSD. I had built the system myself and installed Windows on the SSD, which didn't have any problems with...
  10. wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system: [img] Hi guys in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect Disk 0 : ( C: ) windows 10 pro , upgrade from windows 7 , ( E: ) windows 8.1 pro , ( G: ) Storage partition Disk 1 : clone of disk 0 problem...