Windows 10: System going to sleep in Skyrim then becoming unresponsive.

Discus and support System going to sleep in Skyrim then becoming unresponsive. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I know this sounds like a 3rd party problem, but stay with me for a minute. So I'm playing Skyrim Special Edition and it runs fine with no crashing or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Leggir, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Leggir Win User

System going to sleep in Skyrim then becoming unresponsive.

I know this sounds like a 3rd party problem, but stay with me for a minute.
    So I'm playing Skyrim Special Edition and it runs fine with no crashing or other problems. Then I get a phone call that's going to take a few minutes so I pause the game typically by hitting escape, turn off the computer monitor and take the phone call. I come back 10 minutes later, turn the monitor back on, and it flashes like the computer is sleeping. Doesn't matter what I do, 3-finger solute, move mouse, hit power button on keyboard, alt+tab, etc. nothing works to get the PC out of sleep. Sometimes I've left the game running and I can hear characters walk by and talk over the speakers so I know the game is still working, but the graphics card I guess has gone to sleep. The only way for it to startup is to hit the hard reset.

<<Troubleshooting>>
    1. Tried several drivers from AMD, all have the same problem.
    2. Haven't noticed it on other games, however the 2nd message comes up, further on that in a second.
    3. If I go away for a 5 or less minutes usually there's a message on screen, "Windows needs to shutdown this program to clear up memory." even though the task manager shows only 22% total memory utilization.
    4. Switching to a VGA D-SUB cable and the problem disappears, which I can only assume that via HDMI the monitor is telling Windows that no one's looking and go to sleep, like it's a laptop. I can't run it via DSUB because LG only supports 30 HZ refresh with that connector. What I'm looking for is a way to supress these settings to ignore the monitor being turned off without exiting the game and restarting everytime I walk away.
    5. My monitor is set to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity, however if I leave the monitor on, and the game running it'll never turn off. Turn the monitor off, and it's like Windows overrides the game despite being full screen, something that generally never happened before W10.

:)

Leggir, Dec 10, 2016
  2. jugoya Win User

Unable to wake the computer from sleep mode; Windows 10

When I let the computer go into sleep mode...

It basically shuts off, becomes unresponsive and there is nothing I can do with it but press the darned power button which is BAD for the computer. Completely unresponsive... no reaction nothing. Everything becomes delayed until I press the darned power
    button.

Heck the power button barely responds as well.

Is there ANYTHING I can do with this besides just turning off sleep mode?

jugoya, Dec 10, 2016
  3. System unresponsive after going to sleep mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me assist you.

I understand you were facing issues related to power after upgrading to Windows 10. We appreciate your efforts trying to troubleshoot the issue. The problem with power and sleep function might have caused due to corruption in power settings on your
    Windows 10 computer. This could have been caused while performing the upgrade due to some corrupted download. I suggest you to try upgrading again using a Windows 10 media creation tool and check if the issue persists.

Use the media creation tool in the link below.

Download Windows 10

Also refer the Wiki article by Andre Da Costa on How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10 build.

How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Dec 10, 2016
  4. System going to sleep in Skyrim then becoming unresponsive.

Hello Leggir and welcome to 10 Forums *Smile

Please run the tool, even though this isn't really a BSOD it will still help us get to the bottom of your problem:

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

I would recommend that you check this guide and use Option One:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

And when you have opened the Advanced Settings window, after step 9, scroll down to the PCI Express and check that it is set to Off.

This is the first thing that came to mind.

Cheers, Boris *Smile

BorisTheAnimal, Dec 11, 2016
  5. Leggir Win User
    Ok, so I turned off the PCI-Express setting you mentioned and tried again. This time the game had locked up properly and I was back at a stock Windows background with no icons. The task manager showed Skyrim still running but clicking on it or alt+tab into it didn't do anything. Then I forced it to close with the task manager and BSOD.
    Attachment 113417

Leggir, Dec 12, 2016
  6. Hello Leggir once again *Smile

I don't have access to more advanced programs so my solutions might not be 100% accurate but should still get the job done.

The BSOD you got is mostly caused by:

Code: Bug check 0x50 can occur after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).[/quote] Code: Another possible cause is the installation of a faulty system service or faulty driver code. Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.[/quote]

So I would recommend that you start by checking the RAM modules, re-seating them and maybe vacuum clean inside the case if you've got a lot of dust in there. After that I would almost have to recommend that you run memtest86+ over the night.

Oh and then after that I would recommend that you visit your MotherBoards Support page and check if there are any system updates available for your computer, might as well check if there is a BIOS update but I'll have to go into the specifics on how to update it later:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z8...Desk_Download/

I would also suggest re-seating the GPU and vacuum or if you got a can of compressed air I would also recommend using of those..

And run SeaTools for 3TB Seagate Barracuda drive:

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support...ls-win-master/

And also check for updates for your SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD from the Sandisk SSD Dashboard software:

SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD

Cheers, Boris *Smile

BorisTheAnimal, Dec 12, 2016
  7. Leggir Win User
    Boris,

Sorry for the delay. I changed to a new graphics card over the last two weeks and did some more troubleshooting to identify the problem. The problem is isolated to Skyrim and Fallout 4 (probably because they both use the same engine). Other games don't see to be affected.

The problem seems to be that where most games run full screen the sleep in Windows doesn't happen, similar to watching a movie and it won't go to sleep as long as it's playing. However Windows fails to recognize that these two games are full screen and running and should suspend sleep. Thus while a work around is to disable sleep for everything, and re-enable when done playing, then off and on until I go bizerk, I'd like to find a way to suppress the sleep functionality while a program is running.

Leggir, Dec 30, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

Sleep is really not necessary for a Desktop system. Why not just leave it off and use the screensaver settings to turn off the display after a certain length of time?

That's what I do and I also turn off the display when not using it but leave the PC running.

Not a fix, just a suggestion.

Ztruker, Dec 30, 2016
  9. Leggir Win User
    Under further investigation and some other computers I've found that it's not trying to sleep, it's just trying to turn off the monitor, which it does. However Windows doesn't seem to reinitialize the graphics card if a full-screen app is running, at least in the case of Bethesda and some EA titles. The clue came once when I just happened to come back just as it turned off the screen (I had already disabled sleep, but not "turn of display". I moved the mouse and the screen started stuttering, blinking between being on and a black screen. I did the 3-finger solute and as long as I had the task manager on top I could see the game, but as soon as I'd click on the Skyrim the screen would turn off. I've also confirmed this on my laptop with a Geforce 940 and Windows 10.

Leggir, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System going to sleep in Skyrim then becoming unresponsive. - Similar Threads - System going sleep

2. Workstation becomes unresponsive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Workstation becomes unresponsive: Hello Everyone,So we have a workstation that now from time to time without faile becomes unresponisive, the full deal:Black screen, no pining, SNMP down and not a single input working.It is still running, and after a restart if works again for some time.After scouring the...
  3. Workstation becomes unresponsive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Workstation becomes unresponsive: Hello Everyone,So we have a workstation that now from time to time without faile becomes unresponisive, the full deal:Black screen, no pining, SNMP down and not a single input working.It is still running, and after a restart if works again for some time.After scouring the...
  4. Computer becoming unresponsive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer becoming unresponsive: So, a couple of days ago my computer started to wig out a bit. Whenever I were to use my computer the windows and clicking the windows will become unresponsive, as well as the hot bar. I have tried troubleshooting myself, restarting it, checking for viruses or errors and...
  5. Computer becoming unresponsive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer becoming unresponsive: So, a couple of days ago my computer started to wig out a bit. Whenever I were to use my computer the windows and clicking the windows will become unresponsive, as well as the hot bar. I have tried troubleshooting myself, restarting it, checking for viruses or errors and...
  6. Computer becoming unresponsive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Applications becoming unresponsive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applications becoming unresponsive: I purchased a Dell i7-Gen 8 laptop over a year ago and moved my applications from my old laptop, including two database applications: Family Tree Maker 2019 and Microsoft Money 2007. Both programs worked flawlessly until an update in early September 2020. Since then, I am...
  8. PC becomes unresponsive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC becomes unresponsive?: So basically I've been doing fine on this PC then recently since this Sunday. Anytime I play low-performance games I don't have a problem but when I paly a high-performance game my screen will freeze on that game and if I manage to Alt + Tab out the other windows are also...
  9. Screen becomes unresponsive after sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen becomes unresponsive after sleep mode?: My pc has this issue where when it goes into sleep mode, once i turn it back on the screen becomes unresponsive to the mouse/keyboard. This is a new issue and does anyone have any tips besides setting my sleep mode/screen mode to never turning off?...
  10. ModernUI becomes unresponsive

in Windows 10 Support
    ModernUI becomes unresponsive: Gaming PC, usual response after gaming for 1 hour or more. Can't click on Start tile, no apps will launch (Mail, Edge, etc.) can double-click program icons to run Windows applications. Usually fix by CTRL/ALT/DEL, log out then restart. Win10 16299.192 GeForce 390.65...