Windows 10: System & reserved storage showing wrong figures in 1903.

Discus and support System & reserved storage showing wrong figures in 1903. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have recently clean installed 1903 and Storage usage in settings shows my 66.3GB C partition as 126GB of which I have used 104GB. This 104GB is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lx07, May 24, 2019.

1. lx07 Win User

System & reserved storage showing wrong figures in 1903.

I have recently clean installed 1903 and Storage usage in settings shows my 66.3GB C partition as 126GB of which I have used 104GB. This 104GB is the settings app adding up all the figures underneath (the free space is correct).

System & reserved storage showing wrong figures in 1903. [​IMG]

Drilling down into System & reserved this 86.5GB is the sum of these 4 - including 74GB for System files...

Reserved storage is shown as 6.98GB when this is the sum of the reserved amounts - not the used amount. Perhaps that wouldn't matter but the reserved (not the used) amount is added to the total when it calculates the size of the volume which is obviously stupid as a reserved amount reduces the available space not increases the size of the disk.

Page file and Hibernation are correct.

It seems the settings app adds up all these numbers (correct or not) to get the total used, adds the free space and then presents this as the size of the disk - which here makes it double it's actual size.

Checking on my other PCs the reported size of System files seems to vary greatly. On some it is smaller than Windows directory while here it is more than the size of the volume so it isn't a case of just double counting links or whatever.

Does anyone know what System files is actually supposed to represent and how to reset it? The refresh button at the bottom of System and reserved doesn't change the figure...

Does anyone else see unused reserved storage being incorrectly added to the total volume size?

:)

2. Show Reserved Storage Space in Disk Properties in Windows 10 - Build 1903 - 19H1 and future builds

The upcoming Windows 10 - Build 1903 - 19H1 allows users to view how much storage space is reserved in Windows 10 19H1 and later versions so that they know how much disk space is put aside for reserved storage space. This is one
    of the best updates so far for properly managing disk space, but it is missing from the Disk Properties Windows in Windows 10 - Build 1903 - 19H1 update.

To make it much easier for users to see how much disk space is reserved by desktop programs and apps with general used space by the operating system and free space available on hard drives, I came up with a very good alternative
    that will help users get a better viewable representation of disk space.

System & reserved storage showing wrong figures in 1903. b3006f4f-a722-4fa1-b19d-eddd6fdc8e93?upload=true.png

The above image represents the amount of reserved space that each type of programs and files take up on the system, but that does not show up in disk properties in Windows 10 - Build 1903 - 19H1.

The Disk Properties in the image below looks like a donut AutoShape object, so it is misleading and does not look good and is also too small for users with impaired vision problems. I have read online that there are many people with impaired vision that
    complain about this awful looking Disk Properties in Windows 10. As you can also see in the image below, the free space is in grey and that is misleading as well because it should be in pink and the used space in darker blue. The Reserved Space is not present
    in the image below and it should be present as well.

System & reserved storage showing wrong figures in 1903. 3d60015e-cb9f-4b3b-b7d1-10f1f78409fa?upload=true.jpg

The disk properties in Windows 10 does not show the reserved storage space. In Windows 10 - Build 1903 - 19H1, I expect the disk properties to evolve into a much more detailed disk properties so that I can display the reserved space,
    used space, free space and the total disk capacity. When using the Disk Cleanup utility, there must be an option that allows users to empty and remove reserved space. Also, users must have an option to completely removed reserved space if they want to and
    also shrink or expand reserved space just like users do with hard disk partitions.

System & reserved storage showing wrong figures in 1903. 833a9f78-aa81-40a0-9fe2-db6ec6fcd0f6?upload=true.png

The above image is an image that I have created in Microsoft Paint that represents an updated Disk Properties in Windows 10 - Build 1903 - 19H1 that looks much better and clearer altogether. This type of disk properties makes it
    much better for users to know exactly how much space is reserved by Windows 10 - 19H1 with the general used space by Windows 10 operating system and applications that are not in the reserved area of the hard disk. The free space is illustrated in pink.

To also make it more precise for users to know and calculate how much disk space is reserved, used and free in Disk Properties, I have added percentage signs (%) next to the amount of disk area that is reserved, used and free. The
    total Disk Capacity in Disk Properties would be represented as 100%, meaning the full disk space in total in Disk Management.

For users that split their hard disk partitions in small chunks of hard disks in Windows 10, the C:\ drive where Windows 10 - Build 1903 - 19H1 would be the only partition where the Reserved Storage Space shows up in Disk Properties.
    For other hard disk partitions, only the Used and Free Storage space would be available to show because other partitions would not have Windows 10 - Build 1903 - 19H1 installed on them, nor no Reserved Storage space would be applicable for use on these partitions.

The current representation of disk space in Windows 10 at the moment is bad and must be updated with my suggestion for better appearance and disk space manageability.

Please Microsoft Development Team for Windows 10 update the Disk Properties Windows so that it clearly displays the Reserved Storage Space, Used Space, Free Space and Capacity of hard disks in Windows 10 - Build 1903 - 19H1 and
    all future builds of Windows 10.

Thank you.

Cesare Vesdani, May 24, 2019
  3. System and Reserved storage usage...

Where did you get this figure from?

Your picture shows that the existing drive C: uses 360 GBytes of disk space. Most of it must be user data. You will not be able to squeeze this into your 220 GByte SSD. Before you do any cloning you must move the user data elsewhere. It should be fairly
    easy to get the System partition down to less than 100 GBytes.

Frederik Long, May 24, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Storage reserved for Windows Update

Starting from here:
    What’s New In Windows 10 Version 1903 May 2019 Update
    Reduce Reserved Storage Size in Windows 10
    Find Reserved Storage Size in Windows 10
    Enable or Disable Reserved Storage in Windows 10

So you can see it can be disabled, and is not necessarily a fixed 7Gb. But of course we don't have the final release yet- that's expected in May.

Further, Brink has produced these:
    Enable or Disable Reserved Storage for Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials
    Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials

dalchina, May 24, 2019
Thema:

1. System & reserved storage showing wrong figures in 1903. - Similar Threads - System reserved storage

2. System & reserved storage + Browser Hijacking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System & reserved storage + Browser Hijacking: Every once in a while I go to my settings app and check my storage. Today when I went to check, my storage had jumped up to 210 GB after I had recently brought it down I don't remember the exact number. I only had 6.11 GB free. I went to check what was taking up so much...
  3. System & reserved storage + Browser Hijacking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System & reserved storage + Browser Hijacking: Every once in a while I go to my settings app and check my storage. Today when I went to check, my storage had jumped up to 210 GB after I had recently brought it down I don't remember the exact number. I only had 6.11 GB free. I went to check what was taking up so much...
  4. System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings: Hey Community,I was reviewing my laptop from work and I notice a couple issues with the System Reserved files section. It is showing 41GB as the system & Reserved. I was under the impression that the system reserve only needed 500 MB.I then went to my disk management to check...
  5. System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings: Hey Community,I was reviewing my laptop from work and I notice a couple issues with the System Reserved files section. It is showing 41GB as the system & Reserved. I was under the impression that the system reserve only needed 500 MB.I then went to my disk management to check...
  6. System Reserve Partition and Storage Settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. "System Files" & System and Reserved eating storage space

"System Files" & System and Reserved eating storage space: Hi there, I have a question about my brand newly bought HP stream laptop. I bought this about a week ago and around two days ago I got a notification that I was low on storage. This alarmed me because I hadn't downloaded anything onto here. ANYTHING. So, I checked it out and...
  8. System and Reserved Storage is really large

System and Reserved Storage is really large: [ATTACH]Can anyone please tell me where I can take off System & Reserved space because I have 20GB total and System & Reserved takes up 16GB. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-and-reserved-storage-is-really-large/7e5e0013-4752-480f-8baa-3ccea9f5de83
  9. Windows 10 System and Reserved Storage

Windows 10 System and Reserved Storage: Within the last couple months I got a new PC and it is and has been running really well... with one problem. Its storage has recently begun filling up really quickly and practically overnight the system and reserved storage went up around 100 GB. I should specify that I have...
  10. 1903 Reserved Storage - gone after KB4503293?

in Windows 10 Support
    1903 Reserved Storage - gone after KB4503293?: Hi guys, I raised the issue (ie: I don't like it!) of the ~7GB reserved storage 'feature' of 1903 in another thread and initially investigated how to disable it. However, I noticed that the reserved space takes up pretty much zero space when creating a backup image file of...