Windows 10: System reset not working

Discus and support System reset not working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Last night I reset to factory default and around 10 it finished and was installing and repairing drives I woke up around 9 in the morning to see it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SnowyAzazel, Oct 19, 2016.

1. System reset not working

Last night I reset to factory default and around 10 it finished and was installing and repairing drives I woke up around 9 in the morning to see it still at 100% so I gave it another hour then shut it down. I turned it back on and it was just a black screen a few hours later I took my headphones out and it started installing windows it got to 10% then froze (I got like 3 1 second power outs in like 30 seconds not sure if that matters or not) then I gave it another hour and it didn't move so I restarted my computer again and not it just says the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered and unexpected error windows installation cannot proceed to install windows click ok to restart the computer and installation.

ps it's a ho pavilion 500-437c and I was trying to reset it cause my internet started to be trash

:)

SnowyAzazel, Oct 19, 2016

2. laptop not working after failed system reset

Hi Catriona,

There are many reasons for booting to a black screen. These may include problems with the driver for your display adapter or the video output is being sent to a wrong port. Provided that you have downloaded the Windows 10 ISO at our
    website, it should be good to be used as an installation media. In order for us to assist you better
    with where you're currently at, my we ask for a screenshot or photo of your screen?

Regards.

Darian Tab, Oct 19, 2016
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Laptop Not Working after system reset.

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1:
    Try removing all external devices like printer or external Hard Drive except keyboard and mouse. Restart your computer and check if it helps.

If the issue persist I suggest you to perform Automatic repair.

Step 2: Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 10 installation media.

This is an alternate way to boot the PC and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps given below. Insert the Windows 10 installation DVD in the DVD ROM and restart your computer.

a) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.

b)Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

c) Click Repair your computer
    in the lower left corner.

d) Select Troubleshoot
    from Choose an option screen.

e) Click advanced options
    in Troubleshoot screen.

f) Click Automatic Repair
    from Advanced Options screen.

g) Windows will then look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

To download the windows 10 ISO refer the link below

Download Windows 10

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist

Arun B J, Oct 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

System reset not working

Hello, given all you've said including power outages, unless you have a disk image you can restore (We strongly recommend using 3rd party disk imaging as this gives you a second chance usually without technical help) I would suggest you

a. Back up any data you haven't got backed up
    (You could, e.g. boot your PC using Kyhi's boot disk you can download at from the top of the Software and Apps section here)
    b. Check your drive given your references to repairing it etc
    c. Wipe all partitions on your system disk that are not data partitions or your factory reset partition (You will know if you created any data partitions, if not, ignore this)
    d. Clean install Win 10.
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Oct 19, 2016
  5. I'm not exactly sure how I would do that seeing as I installed windows 10 through the computer and not a disc or any external means also I basically can't do anything other then press ok on this computer and that doesn't do anything

SnowyAzazel, Oct 19, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, please read the tutorial carefully. It links to this.
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

Win 10 is freely downloadable - for anyone- anywhere.
    And if you don't already know, your PC will activate automatically.

dalchina, Oct 19, 2016
  7. Thank you but my problem has changed a bit now it's stuck in a restart loop and on 64% either I downloaded windows onto a flash drive and when I plugged it into my computer nothing happened and it just kept restarting if you have anything to fix that it would be greatly appreciated

SnowyAzazel, Oct 20, 2016
  8. System reset not working

SnowyAzazel,

Did you configure the computer to boot from the flash drive?

cottonball, Oct 20, 2016
  9. Just in case, the steps for configuring the computer to boot from the flash drive are basically as follows:

• Turn on the computer.
    • As soon as you see the logo, look closely and quickly to find and press either F2, F10, Esc, or Del.
    • The key to press is displayed under the computer's logo.
    • The above are the most common keys for entering the computer's BIOS Setup menu. Every manufacturer has a different BIOS setup.

When in, navigate to the Boot Menu to change the boot order.

• Once you are in the Boot menu, you see a list of devices in the order the computer attempts to boot from. The first device listed is the computer’s hard drive, usually followed by the CD/DVD drive.
    • Select the first boot device (probably the HDD) and change it to the flash drive.
    • This will make the computer check your flash drive first after turning on, instead of the hard drive. The USB flash drive may be recognized as a Removable Device or display the flash drive’s model name.

Make sure you Save and Exit. There may be a key displayed (like F10) that will Save and Exit with one keystroke.

Save and Exit reboots the computer.

cottonball, Oct 20, 2016
  10. I have followed your steps and I did get to where you asked and did what you said but after that it said it was checking the flash drive and just started the loop again I'm running a system extensive test to see if it can't find anything wrong other then that I don't know what to do know

SnowyAzazel, Oct 20, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    The trick is to set the boot priority in your BIOS as Cottonball says so your PC checks for a bootable source being present in your optical drive or via USB, before it checks your hard drive.

If a flash drive doesn't work, try burning a Win 10 iso to a DVD, or the boot disk at the top of the Software and Apps section in this forum (which is too large for a CD apparently).

If you do that, your hard disk is irrelevant as you are running from what's loaded from the flash drive/DVD in RAM - unless you have some other hardware fault...

You could even try removing the hard drive and booting from e.g. a DVD just to see if that will work..

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

System reset not working

1. System reset not working - Similar Threads - System reset working

2. System reset aint working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System reset aint working: Trying hard to reset my PC but keeps getting error that unable to perform. I have Windows 10 and it is not compatible to Windows 11. Trying to make this PC better so I need to perform reset but on windows recovery I tried everything I could to make it work but none....
  3. System reset aint working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System reset aint working: Trying hard to reset my PC but keeps getting error that unable to perform. I have Windows 10 and it is not compatible to Windows 11. Trying to make this PC better so I need to perform reset but on windows recovery I tried everything I could to make it work but none....
  4. System reset aint working

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Settings not working after System Reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Settings not working after System Reset: I reset my Windows 10 PC to factory settings, with full drive wipe. After the reset, Settings app stopped working altogether. I can boot normally, and everything, except the Settings app, works. I have tried everything I could find online, including a full system reset...
  6. Audio not working after system reset

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio not working after system reset: Hi, my audio was working fine until I factory reset my HP ENVY computer. After installing all drives and updating etc the audio was still not working and I just tried to factory reset again but it didn't work. All help appreciated, some extra info:I've ran the troubleshooter,...
  7. System reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System reset: I'm looking to reset my PC, Just wondering if this will reset both C and D drive, or just the C drive? submitted by /u/671_Green_671 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lxo4l5/system_reset/
  8. system reset

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    system reset: I used Windows media Creation tool to reset my computer but when windows finally loaded I had to wireless adapter and cannot get on line I have tried several times but still no wireless adapter I do not know what happen can any one help me out without going on the internet...
  9. System Reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Reset: Can a USB recovery drive, created from one computer be used to reset another computer that won't start up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-reset/0b86022c-32c0-4cf3-810d-ec48e0978674
  10. system reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system reset: I no longer have access to one of my accounts on one of my PC's. i have tried to reset my PC to sell to a friend of mine but the reset failed many times. I have two different profiles on the computer, one standard and one administrative account. the admin account i cant...