Windows 10: System Restore is suddenly disabled - how do I enable it?

Discus and support System Restore is suddenly disabled - how do I enable it? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Fairly new PC, Win10 Pro 64-bit all updates. System restore was working fine last week, as I created a manual restore point before installing a major... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Yossu, May 20, 2020.

1. Yossu Win User

System Restore is suddenly disabled - how do I enable it?

Fairly new PC, Win10 Pro 64-bit all updates. System restore was working fine last week, as I created a manual restore point before installing a major piece of software.

I just went to do the same thing again, but found that all the controls on the System Protection tab of the System properties window are disabled...

System Restore is suddenly disabled - how do I enable it? [​IMG]

How do I enable it? I've tried the following...

*) Saw this tutorial, but obviously can't follow it as all the controls are disabled.

*) Tried running the following from an elevated Powershell window...

Enable-ComputerRestore -Drive "C:"
    ...but that gave an error...

Enable-ComputerRestore : Could not enable drive C:\.At line:1 char:1+ Enable-ComputerRestore -Drive "C:"+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: System Restore is suddenly disabled - how do I enable it? :)) [Enable-ComputerRestore], ArgumentException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : EnableComputerRestoreNotEnabled,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.EnableComputerRestoreCommand

*) Tried modifying the DisableSR reg key at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore to have the value 0, and tried deleting it, but it was always restored almost immediately

*) Tried using the Group Policy editor to set "Turn off System Restore" to "Not configured" (which it was already, but I changed it to Disabled and then back again).

None of these helped, the controls are all still disabled. Anyone any idea how I re-enable them?

Thanks

System specs can be seen here...

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/k...W6ZE7CJ6cyqlT3

:)

Yossu, May 20, 2020
  2. Argel Obm Win User

System Restore error

The "mstdc.log" file is a transaction log file of Windows operating systems. Since it is a log file, it should not affect the performance of your system. Also, the error that you're getting with that log file is not connected to the System Restore error
    code you're seeing in the Event Viewer. If you want to make sure that System Restore is functioning properly, you can also disable and re-enable it. Please take note that by disabling System Restore, you lose your restore points. To disable and re-enable System
    Restore, follow these steps:

• Access System Restore by searching using Cortana.
    • Click Configure.
    • Choose Disable system protection.
    • Click Apply, and the press OK.
    • Click Configure again.
    • Choose Turn on system protection.
    • Click Apply, and the press OK.
    • Click OK.

If you do not encounter any issues while doing the steps above, it means that System Restore is working properly.

Let us know how it goes.

Argel Obm, May 20, 2020
  3. How do I disable system restore?

I hear dif you have a virus.... after you clean your machine.... 100% cleaned then you disable your system restore and turn it on back something like that.

how do I disable system restore?

HiddenStupid, May 20, 2020
  4. System Restore is suddenly disabled - how do I enable it?

How do I disable system restore?

oh ok got it.

so..... what exactly is system restore? is it that thing where you reformat?

when do i turn it on back?

1- virus
    2- cleaned system
    3- disable system restore
    4- uhh now what?
    5- do i turn it on right away after disable it or wait few min or day?

HiddenStupid, May 20, 2020
Thema:

System Restore is suddenly disabled - how do I enable it?

1. System Restore is suddenly disabled - how do I enable it? - Similar Threads - System Restore suddenly

2. EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled. How do I disable it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled. How do I disable it?: EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled. How do I disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esediskflushconsistency-is-enabled-how-do-i/a9e13e58-b9ec-4380-b317-917a45c37ed4
  3. EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled. How do I disable it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled. How do I disable it?: EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled. How do I disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esediskflushconsistency-is-enabled-how-do-i/a9e13e58-b9ec-4380-b317-917a45c37ed4
  4. EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled. How do I disable it?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How do I disable/enable Notification Center?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I disable/enable Notification Center?: I want to know how to do it without Registry and Group Policies submitted by /u/UltraSimply [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mo6by9/how_do_i_disableenable_notification_center/
  6. windows update disabled how do i enable it ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows update disabled how do i enable it ?: I was downloading an app from Microsoft store and as it started to install it got an error. when I checked the error it says that windows update is disabled. I went to windows update and security in settings, and I found that it was saying something went wrong try again...
  7. Disable System Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Disable System Restore: Hi, I need to do the following tasks in the System Restore: 1. Set Max Usage = 0 2. Delete all restore points 3. Disable System Restore Should be using Command Line. 1st and 2nd step I've no any idea how to do. For 3rd step: net stop srservice sc config...
  8. System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled

System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled: Hi Since installing Windows 10 I've had a problem with System Restore. I've searched the web (including this forum) but so far have not found anyone with my particular problem. I'm not saying they're not there, just that I've not found them yet. As you can see from the...
  9. System Restore disabled and cannot enable it

System Restore disabled and cannot enable it: Hi Since installing Windows 10 I've had a problem with System Restore. I've searched the web (including this forum) but so far have not found anyone with my particular problem. I'm not saying they're not there, just that I've not found them yet. As you can see from the...
  10. Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows How to Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 restore point) without losing personal data files. System Restore is enabled by default in Windows. If disabled, create a restore...