Windows 10: System Restore Turned off after updates

Discus and support System Restore Turned off after updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I know many have complained that after any major update, Windows turns off System restore and deletes all restore points. Though I can understand why... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by idh7, Aug 4, 2019.

1. idh7 Win User

System Restore Turned off after updates

I know many have complained that after any major update, Windows turns off System restore and deletes all restore points. Though I can understand why this might be important when a system has been updated I cannot understand why it doesn't automatically create a new restore point (as all major pieces of software do) and then ensure system restore is turned back on rather than leave us all only finding out when we need to do a system restore and cannot.

On the latest feature update the first thing I did before installing was to create a restore point and thank goodness I did as installing it was a major issue with three attempts over 24 hours, a system restore and eventually downloading from the Microsoft website. If I hadn't created the system restore my computer would still be hanging on 72% installation which is where it sat on each successive attempt to install it. By the way my Acer laptop had the same issue and I know of one person who ended up having to have their laptop completely re-installed. Not what you expect from a world leading manufacturer.

My question now is, I have turned on system restore in C drive but note I can no longer turn it on with any of the other drives. The are all set to "off" and cannot be opened by clicking as before. Is there a reason for this??

Ian

:)

idh7, Aug 4, 2019
  2. Pinchy Win User

windows xp duel boot with vista restore points

Turn off system restore in XP altogether...or if you dont want to, AsRocks suggestion should work :\

Pinchy, Oct 1, 2019
  3. marsmimar Win User
    system restore turns it self off

See if following these steps prevents System Restore from turning itself off.

System Restore Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

System Restore Point - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

If still having problems your computer may have damaged or corrupt system files. Run a System File Checker scan from an elevated command prompt (Option Three.) Windows 10 will try to repair or replace any damaged files. The easiest way to do this for me is ro right-click the Start Button > select Command Prompt (Admin). At the blinking cursor type in sfc /scannow. Please note the space between sfc and /scannow. Also note that in case integrity violations are found and cannot be fixed, it's suggested you run the SFC three times and reboot the computer in between each scan. (See NOTE below Step 6 in Option Three.)

If still having issues, please post back and someone will help with additional troubleshooting tips,

SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

marsmimar, Oct 1, 2019
  4. System Restore Turned off after updates

Cannot Create System Restore Point Because Cannot Turn On System Protection

In Control Panel/System/System Properties/System Protection, "Available Drives," all that is listed is "Searching..." No drives are located, so no System Restore point can be established.

How to fix?

I have an extensive active thread in another area of the community dealing with the failure of this PC to install the latest Windows 10 update. Prior to executing the next suggested step to fix that problem I need to create a System Restore point, so a
    solution to this issue must be found before I can move forward on the major problem.

YES, I have ALREADY run the SFC Command as Administrator and the report was that everything was A-OK.

Curmudgeon10, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

System Restore Turned off after updates

1. System Restore Turned off after updates - Similar Threads - System Restore Turned

2. How to fix system restore if I turned it off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix system restore if I turned it off.: Okay so I had been having this problem where my pc would randomly freeze when you started it after a few minutes, and I looked at a bunch of videos and how to fix it and one of them was system restore and the person had said it had worked for them right, so I tried it and mid...
  3. How to fix system restore if I turned it off.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to fix system restore if I turned it off.: Okay so I had been having this problem where my pc would randomly freeze when you started it after a few minutes, and I looked at a bunch of videos and how to fix it and one of them was system restore and the person had said it had worked for them right, so I tried it and mid...
  4. Computer turned off during system restore point

Computer turned off during system restore point: i was doing system restore point but the power went off and i think windows is corrupt i can’t go in safe mode but i can go to advanced option and stuff i have tried everything in the advanced options and many command prompt commands is there a way to recover the image...
  5. Help! Turned off laptop during system restore!

Help! Turned off laptop during system restore!: So as the title says I turned off my laptop during a system restore. I think while it said it was restoring registries. I did this because it was on that same thing for over 2 hours. Now when i turn on my laptop it only displays the brand name which is Lenovo and just turns...
  6. System Restore Points turned off after Major Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore Points turned off after Major Updates: Today I did the update to Version 1903. After the update I went to see if I had restore points as after the last Major update it was turned off and I lost all my restore points. Alas, again, the system restore was turned off so I again lost all my restore points. Why do...
  7. HELP! Turned off laptop during system restore!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HELP! Turned off laptop during system restore!: So as the title says I turned off my laptop during a system restore. I think while it said it was restoring registries. I did this because it was on that same thing for over 2 hours. Now when i turn on my laptop it only displays the brand name which is Lenovo and just turns...
  8. Upgrading to Build 10586 Turned Off System Restore

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading to Build 10586 Turned Off System Restore: It was available and up to date before the upgrade. I have turned it back on. Why did the upgrade turn it off? I did use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade rather than wait for "my turn" with Windows Update. 29825
  9. system restore turns it self off

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    system restore turns it self off: system restore turns it self off why 71711
  10. Accidentally turned off the computer while in system restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Accidentally turned off the computer while in system restore: So I was doing a system restore on my newly upgraded Windows 10. It was stuck at 46% so I restarted it (which was a stupid thing I know). After that the laptop won't go beyond the black screen. Whenever I boot the laptop the lenovo logo appears and the black screen after and...