Windows 10: System Restore Windows 10

Discus and support System Restore Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; the rollback is stuck on scanning and repairing drive 71% complete in VM. used the bootable disc created with easesu todo backup to restore to the old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by f14tomcat, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

System Restore Windows 10

As long as you have hard drive activity, it's best to let it sit and finish. VM's are slow though.

Brink, Aug 26, 2015
  2. LIO
    Lio Win User

Thanks Brink, for the quick reply.
    It is really bad that we can not move. On SSDs, space is precious and the OS is growing rapidly ... and the space occupied by the system restore too.

3. fotyc Win User
    Sorry if this is not the place to post - I tried to do a system restore today, I chose a restore point and went through the exercise and then my computer would not restart, it went into a loop asking me to repair... I went into troubleshooting and chose a different restore point and that didn't work either, it worked a long time and then told me it failed with 0x8000ffff which apparently is a catastrophic registry error of some sort. So it's rebooted now into its original state and actually told me the restore worked, but I don't know if that is true or just a useless message. Has this happened to anybody and how did you solve it? I'm considering trying either a refresh of Windows from installation media, or a reinstall because restore points are a great protection against hardware and application mistakes...

fotyc, Feb 22, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

davidhk, Feb 22, 2016
  5. fotyc Win User
    I may yet do that... but this may have to do with the Avast self defense module that I had previously turned off in Windows 8 because it interferes with system restore functions. I checked and when Avast updated itself recently it turned self defense back on. So I turned it off. If I get brave I may try my restore again... Or I may do a refresh. This all started because I had a video capture device working via USB and then it quit working, the replacement one didn't work, a different one didn't work... somehow I seem to have lost the ability to get a video signal in through my USB and wanted to go back to before I began this effort... But that is another story.

fotyc, Feb 22, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello fotyc,

I have done a few system restores that failed, but then said it was successful after restart as well. After checking and verifying, it was indeed successful for me.

Brink, Feb 22, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Any objection uninstalling Avast entirely ?

I am not saying my way is good for you.
    Just to tell you what I do. For over 2 years I have been using just the built-in Windows Defender as my Real-time Protection and Malwarebytes free edition as my On-demand Protection.
    I run Malwarebytes once a week to make sure the computer is clean, and for over 2 years, I have not had any security issues.

davidhk, Feb 22, 2016
  8. fotyc Win User

Thanks... maybe that's what happened here.

fotyc, Feb 22, 2016
  9. I really do like this guide, very comprehensive and great pictures!!

My issue is with System Restore. Especially in later versions it seems to fail with growing frequency. I've always had hopes for MS products because hey, I pay for the OS, I should expect to get a functional product in return. Of course, the reality is that it isn't.

I've gone on to disk imaging (Macrium Reflect) and using snapshot programs (Rollback rx) but I always say when the day comes that I don't need those and can trust MS to work say...95% of the time. Then I'll check it out again!

HanginJang, Feb 23, 2016
  10. Same Problem here_since last Tues_06_21_16_gave_up&reinstalled_Win8.1, thought it was my softwareor PC, after reading this post, from F-14tomcat, appears might be more common.

Graham Clark, Jun 28, 2016
  11. gradeabra Win User
    Hi, my system restore has no restore point. How can i create one?

gradeabra, Jul 13, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 13, 2016
  13. Darkane Win User

it feels and looks just like windows 7 It was stable and helpful back then I hope that it is still as good
    my only problem with restore points is it only keeps very few of them I would like to have like 10 or even 20 so whenever I discover a problem I can go back as far as I want before i Consider a total Partition Image restore
    i checked "show more points" and still they are very few also the disk usage is only 1.5 gigabytes while the dedicated space is more than 15 Giga bytes why system protection doesnt store enough points ? I wish to know
    thanks for the tutorial and help

Darkane, Jul 21, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Darkane, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Are you a Windows Insider? If so, upgrading to a new build will usually wipe out your current restore points.

If you have any disk cleaning program installed, they can wipe your restore points.

Keeping an updated system image backup in addition to restore points would be recommended since restore points will not always help.

Brink, Jul 21, 2016
  15. Darkane Win User
    thanks for taking the effort
    unfortunately all of the above is negative
    I'm very committed to keep full images every week but sometimes you know bringing back a week old image will save my a** but lose many things that are very dynamic like program settings that I've changed or files in user folders.
    I always prefer to keep my files in other partitions than "C:" but not everything can be easily moved there
    some people recommend "Rollback" but it is said that it doesn't play well with disk imaging which is a bummer since both are needed not one or the other
    thanks again *Smile

Darkane, Jul 21, 2016
Thema:

1. System Restore Windows 10 - Similar Threads - System Restore

2. Cut and paste program files from C to D drive. Things went haywire. Did a system restore,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cut and paste program files from C to D drive. Things went haywire. Did a system restore,...: Hi,My son ran out of space on his computer so he cut and paste all of his files from C drive to D drive. Things starting being wonky. He realized his error. We researched a solution and so he did a complete system restore, deleting all of his personal files. After the...
  3. Cut and paste program files from C to D drive. Things went haywire. Did a system restore,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cut and paste program files from C to D drive. Things went haywire. Did a system restore,...: Hi,My son ran out of space on his computer so he cut and paste all of his files from C drive to D drive. Things starting being wonky. He realized his error. We researched a solution and so he did a complete system restore, deleting all of his personal files. After the...
  4. I cannot download or install any games/apps chrome or software after preforming system restore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot download or install any games/apps chrome or software after preforming system restore.: Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎15/‎01/‎2022OS build 19045.4046Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0I cannot download or install any games/apps chrome or software after preforming system restore.Its as if the OS is blocking me entirely....
  5. I cannot download or install any games/apps chrome or software after preforming system restore.

I cannot download or install any games/apps chrome or software after preforming system restore.: Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎15/‎01/‎2022OS build 19045.4046Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0I cannot download or install any games/apps chrome or software after preforming system restore.Its as if the OS is blocking me entirely....
  6. System restore partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore partition: I'm going to delete the default partition table on an old Surface Pro see first image.Now, there are six partitions and the last one /dev/sda6 should be the one to save if I want to restore factory settings see second image.Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/vjfTZdLI can...
  7. System restore partition

System restore partition: I'm going to delete the default partition table on an old Surface Pro see first image.Now, there are six partitions and the last one /dev/sda6 should be the one to save if I want to restore factory settings see second image.Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/vjfTZdLI can...
  8. System restore partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. I am trying to do a system restore. I have the key but my keyboard is not working. How do I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am trying to do a system restore. I have the key but my keyboard is not working. How do I...: My keyboard was not working. I tried to do a system restore. I inadvertently depressed a key which stopped the restore. Got a black screen. Trying to do a restore once more. Got restore key but cannot enter the number as keyboard is not working. How do I enter the key number....
  10. I am trying to do a system restore. I have the key but my keyboard is not working. How do I...

I am trying to do a system restore. I have the key but my keyboard is not working. How do I...: My keyboard was not working. I tried to do a system restore. I inadvertently depressed a key which stopped the restore. Got a black screen. Trying to do a restore once more. Got restore key but cannot enter the number as keyboard is not working. How do I enter the key number....