Windows 10: System Restore Windows 10

Discus and support System Restore Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I hear you. Restore points can be handy, but they are not always reliable. *Sad Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by f14tomcat, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

System Restore Windows 10

I hear you. Restore points can be handy, but they are not always reliable. *Sad

Brink, Jul 21, 2016
  2. CalBear37 Win User

I've been using system restore for years and once again it has saved me sure pain and suffering. Something strange started happening with Chrome; Norton was reporting large data output when accessing Google news articles, I couldn't access Extensions in Chrome settings it simply closed the browser. Googling the problem was no help. Same for deleting and reinstalling Chrome. Fortunately System Restore sets a restore point for every major Win 10 critical update. I went back to the most recent restore point and all is well.

Yes, I know you don't really need this information here but when things go well I like to tell someone. System restore should be automatically on with Win 10 but sadly it isn't. Microsoft... are you listening *Smile

CalBear37, Jul 23, 2016
  3. Darkane Win User
    Do you use rollback RX and True image at the same time ? I heard they don't play well together

Darkane, Jul 30, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

With many of the tools eg Mcrium Reflect Free, you can create a full system image periodically (say wekly), but do differential backups ie backup the changes on a (say) daily basis with an automatic schedule - these supplementary backups are tiny compared to main image backup. So you the restore the main backup plus the differential backups.

There are two types of supplementary backups

1) differential - the backup contains all changes since last full backup. So you only need that plus last differential backup.

2) incremental - the backup contains all changes since last incremental backup. So you need the full backup plus a "chain" of incremental backups.

Incs are more space efficient than diffs, but diffs are easier to manage. If an inc fails, all incs afterwards are useless. I use diffs as for most home users the space difference is insignificant.

Of course, if you make a lot of changes, then you should start with a new full image.

cereberus, Jul 31, 2016
  5. Darkane Win User
    neat idea if you can do it automatically like a post command or something how do you do it?
    I haven't heard of drive cloner is it a serious alternative?

Darkane, Aug 12, 2016
  6. Darkane Win User
    I never thought of that actually you are right incremental and diff backups if made daily can replace restore points
    but im not sure the space I have is sufficient my disk is only one terabyte and my external not connected all the time is 3 terabyte
    but thanks for the tip it may come handy *Smile

Darkane, Aug 12, 2016
  7. Sonjstar Win User
    My friend and I both have Win 10 with the Anniversary Update, also we have probably about the same amt. of programs and files stored on our C drive. Her restore point is 421.83 MB and mine is 162.41 GB, that is huge for my restore point. I have 10% allotted for my restore points and she has 3% allotted for her restore points. Does these percentage amounts have anything to do with the size of the restore point?

Sonjstar, Sep 21, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Sonjstar, *Smile

The percentage is for the maximum amount of storage space to be used by System Protection instead. The higher the percentage, the more restore points you will be able to store and have available.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Sep 21, 2016
  9. Sonjstar Win User
    Is it unusual for a restore point to be 162 GB? I've had different people tell me that they have never seen a Restore Point to be that big.

Sonjstar, Sep 21, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Please go ahead and post a screenshot showing where it shows a restore point is that size to see what it may be?

Brink, Sep 21, 2016
  11. Sonjstar Win User
    You'll notice on the 3rd. image Restore image. I did a Restore to Sept 15, because I had deleted something that I wanted to get back. It did not restore back to Sept 15.

System Restore Windows 10 [​IMG]

Sonjstar, Sep 21, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That'll be the current allocated storage usage for system protection.

If you like, you can turn off and on system protection to clear all storage usage, then create a new restore point afterwards to have on hand.

Brink, Sep 21, 2016
  13. Sonjstar Win User

I deleted all restore points. and now I'm only showing it used 21.20 MB. I'm shocked. I still don't understand how I could go from 162.41 GB restore point and now use only used 25.81 MB for the restore point. I only had 1 restore point. Would you please help me to understand this?

Sonjstar, Sep 21, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The maximum space usage for system protection is used for more than just restore points. This same setting also determines the maximum disk space that can be used to store system images.

Brink, Sep 22, 2016
  15. Sonjstar Win User
    Thanks Brink. I know that the settings are the amount of space that can be used for restore point. Mine was set at 10% and I reset that amount to 3%.

Sonjstar, Sep 22, 2016
Thema:

1. System Restore Windows 10 - Similar Threads - System Restore

2. 0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.: On April 24, 2024, Windows update installed KB5037724 on my system running Windows 10 22H2, Bld 19045.4291. Since then, when manually creating a restore point I get non-transient error 0x800423F4. It is a solid error. It happens every time. I tried to uninstall the update,...
  3. 0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.: On April 24, 2024, Windows update installed KB5037724 on my system running Windows 10 22H2, Bld 19045.4291. Since then, when manually creating a restore point I get non-transient error 0x800423F4. It is a solid error. It happens every time. I tried to uninstall the update,...
  4. 0x800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.: On April 24, 2024, Windows update installed KB5037724 on my system running Windows 10 22H2, Bld 19045.4291. Since then, when manually creating a restore point I get non-transient error 0x800423F4. It is a solid error. It happens every time. I tried to uninstall the update,...
  6. Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.

Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.: On April 24, 2024, Windows update installed KB5037724 on my system running Windows 10 22H2, Bld 19045.4291. Since then, when manually creating a restore point I get non-transient error 0x800423F4. It is a solid error. It happens every time. I tried to uninstall the update,...
  7. Ox800423F4 when creating system restore point.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 11 System Restore is broken!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 System Restore is broken!: I tried to restore sytem to the earlier point in time using W11 System Restore, as the latest updates form Microsoft cause my intel I9 12gen cpu on My MSI GE76 to lock its self to the slowest possible Speed Step. And... System Restore leave all Ms Store apps unregistered,...
  9. Windows 11 System Restore is broken!

Windows 11 System Restore is broken!: I tried to restore sytem to the earlier point in time using W11 System Restore, as the latest updates form Microsoft cause my intel I9 12gen cpu on My MSI GE76 to lock its self to the slowest possible Speed Step. And... System Restore leave all Ms Store apps unregistered,...
  10. Why I cannot reinstall google chrome after doing the system restore? please enlighten me of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why I cannot reinstall google chrome after doing the system restore? please enlighten me of...: I already tried installing google chrome too many times and watched videos on how to install too many times. i read the instructions and the same thing doesnt happen to me....