Windows 10: Change System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10

Discus and support Change System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10 [img] Information system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by omidsolo, Dec 10, 2017.

1. omidsolo Win User

Change System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10

How to: Change System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10

Change System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. This can be handy if your PC isn't working well and you recently installed an app, driver, or update.

Each restore point contains the necessary information needed to restore the system to the chosen state. Restore points are automatically generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and generated when you Restoring won’t affect your personal files in your %UserProfile% folder, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was created.

You can adjust the maximum disk space per drive used for system protection. As space fills up, older restore points will automatically be deleted to make room for new ones.

This tutorial will show you how to resize the maximum shadow copy storage space used by system protection for a drive in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change maximum shadow copy storage size.

Note Restore points are stored in the hidden protected OS System Volume Information folder in the root directory of each drive you have system protection turned on.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change System Protection Maximum Storage Size for Drive in System Protection Settings
    • Option Two: To Change System Protection Maximum Storage Size for Drive in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change System Protection Maximum Storage Size for Drive in System Protection Settings
    1. Do step 2, step 3, or step 4 below for how you would like to open System.

2. Open the step 5 below.

3. Open the step 5 below.

4. Open the step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the System protection link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

6. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

7. Under Protection Settings, select a drive (ex: C: ) that you want to change the maximum storage size for, and click/tap on the Configure button. (see screenshot below)

8. Adjust the Max Usage slider to the percentage you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change System Protection Maximum Storage Size for Drive in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. This will show you the current maximum usage size for all drives that have a shadow copy storage space. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow vssadmin list shadowstorage

3. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)

*Arrow vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=<ForVolumeSpec> /on=<OnVolumeSpec> /maxsize=<MaxSizeSpec>

Note Substitute <ForVolumeSpec> in the command above for the actual drive letter (ex: C: ) that the shadow copy storage is for. This will be the For volume in the results from step 2.

Substitute <OnVolumeSpec> in the command above for the actual drive letter (ex: C: ) that the shadow copy storage is on. This will be the Shadow Copy Storage volume in the results from step 2.

Substitute <MaxSizeSpec> in the command above for the actual size you want.
    • The MaxSizeSpec value must be 1 MB or greater and must be expressed in % percentage or one of the following units: KB, MB, GB, TB, PB, or EB. If no unit is specified, MaxSizeSpec uses bytes by default.
    • If no value is specified for /maxsize, there is no limit placed on the amount of storage space that can be used.
    For example:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=C: /on=C: /maxsize=12GB

OR

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=C: /on=C: /maxsize=5%

4. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

omidsolo, Dec 10, 2017

2. WINDOWS 10 UPDATE DELETED MY RESTORE POINTS

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

This issue can be caused if the maximum storage size limit is set to low

for your shadow storage.

To resolve this issue, adjust the maximum shadow storage allocation. To do this, follow the steps listed below:

1.Click Start, type System in the Search

box and then click System from the list under Control panel

2.Click System

protection in the task pane

3.Under Protection Settings click to select Local

Disk (CChange System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10 :) (System) and then click Configure

4.Under Disk Space Usage, move

the Max Usage slider to the right to increase the disk space usage for System

Restore points

Note: If protection is turned on for additional drives you might consider

increasing the Max Usage for those drives as well.

Thanks.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Dec 10, 2017
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    My restore points are being deleted??!!

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

This issue can be caused if the maximum storage size limit is set to low

for your shadow storage.

To resolve this issue, adjust the maximum shadow storage allocation. To do this, follow the steps listed below:

1.Click Start, type System in the Search

box and then click System from the list under Control panel

2.Click System

protection in the task pane

3.Under Protection Settings click to select Local

Disk (CChange System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10 :) (System) and then click Configure

4.Under Disk Space Usage, move

the Max Usage slider to the right to increase the disk space usage for System

Restore points

Note: If protection is turned on for additional drives you might consider

increasing the Max Usage for those drives as well.

Thanks.

Pavan_N, Dec 10, 2017
Thema:

Change System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10

1. Change System Protection Max Storage Size for Drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change System Protection

2. Changing Storage Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Storage Drive: I'm thinking about changing from an HDD to an SSD, and I was wondering if I would just be able to copy all the data I have, operating system too, would that work, and if so would windows still be activated?...
  3. Change Delivery Optimization Max Cache Size for Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Change Delivery Optimization Max Cache Size for Updates in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you have limited Internet or if your Internet speed is slow, you may need to find a workaround to download an application or update, immediately. One such workaround is downloading the update from another computer in your network. Windows Update Delivery...
  4. Storage Drive shows wrong size

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Storage Drive shows wrong size: Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (2009, 19042.985) Version: 10.0.19042 I have a storage drive consiting of 2 x 4 tb drives in a spanned array.Should show 7.2 tb but only shows 3.64 tb. any way to fix this please 180414
  5. What is the max storage supported for hard drives with motherboard?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the max storage supported for hard drives with motherboard?: Hello, I was wondering how big can a hard drive be in terms of max support, eg 5TB, 10TB, 15TB? My motherboard is this one: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE - motherboard - ATX - LGA1155 Socket - Z68 Series Specs - CNET 175876
  6. How to change Recycle Bin Storage Size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Recycle Bin Storage Size in Windows 10: [ATTACH]The Recycle Bin in Windows 10 is used to store deleted files. It works as a safety net as it protects the files from getting […] This article How to change Recycle Bin Storage Size in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Change size of drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change size of drives: Is it possible to increase the size of C: drive and reduce size of D: drive? I'm receiving the red bar warning about C: drive being full and have plenty of room in D: drive. I have done the disk cleanup but still receiving the warning, apparently it didn't clear out enough...
  8. Windows 10 System Storage not displaying drives.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 System Storage not displaying drives.: I honestly have no idea what that page is called, but when I want to change save locations, none of my drives show up. It worked before but now it just doesn't want to display anything sadly. Here are a few pictures of what I am talking about. [img] My drives wont...
  9. Change Delivery Optimization Max Cache Size for Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Delivery Optimization Max Cache Size for Updates in Windows 10: How to: Change Delivery Optimization Max Cache Size for Updates in Windows 10 How to Change Delivery Optimization Max Cache Size for Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Delivery Optimization lets you get Windows and Store app updates from sources in addition to...
  10. Change Maximum Storage Size for Recycle Bin in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Maximum Storage Size for Recycle Bin in Windows 10: How to: Change Maximum Storage Size for Recycle Bin in Windows 10 How to Change Maximum Storage Size for Recycle Bin in Windows 10 The Recycle Bin provides a safety net when deleting files or folders. When you delete any of these items from your hard disk, Windows...