Windows 10: System Tray notification area oddity

Discus and support System Tray notification area oddity in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've looked all over for an answer to this and I can't find it. Am I patient zero? If I have one icon showing in the notification area it appears just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DznyFan, Feb 20, 2016.

1. DznyFan Win User

System Tray notification area oddity

I've looked all over for an answer to this and I can't find it. Am I patient zero? If I have one icon showing in the notification area it appears just fine. If I turn in another icon to show on the notification area the new one shows and the fist one turns into a blank area. If I turn off the first icon the blank area disappears and the remaining icon moves over into its place. Likewise if I turn on all icons the one closest to the New Notifications icon is blank. I've tried resetting the notification area icons but noting changed. I am dazed and confused.

System Tray notification area oddity [​IMG]

:)

DznyFan, Feb 20, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How do I remove small icons on windows 10

That part of the taskbar is called the "system notification area." If you want to impress your geeky friends, call it "the tray" - that's what the technical people call it.

You can't remove the tray from the taskbar, but you can empty it. Go Control Panel > Notification Area Icons
    or Settings > System > Notifications and actions. Yes, they are the same thing. Control Panel and Settings often overlap.

BulldogXX, Feb 20, 2016
  3. Linney Win User
    Linney, Feb 20, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Feb 20, 2016
  5. DznyFan Win User
    DznyFan, Feb 20, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 20, 2016
  7. DznyFan Win User
    I tried the cache rebuild but the issue persists. This is, was, a new PC. It came with Win10 installed. I think this issue has been around since I first fired it up back in August because I thought I set the network icon but wasn't seeing it. It didn't bother me too much but for some reason I just noticed it was happening. Without really paying detailed attention to it over the months I can't say for sure when it started.

DznyFan, Feb 21, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Ok, try creating a new user.

If that works, it's a user profile problem - if not, it's Windows corruption.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. System Tray notification area oddity - Similar Threads - System Tray notification

2. System tray area missing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System tray area missing?: I performed a clean installation of Windows 11 two days ago. Yesterday, the System Tray, Action Centre and Notification Area/Clock are missing and not visible. They can still be accessed through keyboard shortcuts but not from the taskbar. While task manager is open, the tray...
  3. System tray area missing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System tray area missing?: I performed a clean installation of Windows 11 two days ago. Yesterday, the System Tray, Action Centre and Notification Area/Clock are missing and not visible. They can still be accessed through keyboard shortcuts but not from the taskbar. While task manager is open, the tray...
  4. Banishing "News and interests" makes "system tray"/"notification area" disappear

in Windows 10 Customization
    Banishing "News and interests" makes "system tray"/"notification area" disappear: Starting today, Windows 10 provided a new icon in the "system tray"/"notification area" ST/NA. It is for "news and interests" N&I. Since I need to minimize cognitive distractions, I right-clicked and chose to disable the icon. It dutifully disappeared. Shortly afterward,...
  5. System tray / notification area disappeared post-update

System tray / notification area disappeared post-update: Hi,Windows updated last night. The News & Interests icon appeared; the entire system tray disappeared including time and date.Have searched for this issue elsewhere but can't find an answer. Settings - Taskbar - Notification Area shows as "on" with power, network and volume...
  6. Bluetooth icon is not showing up in system tray/notification area.

Bluetooth icon is not showing up in system tray/notification area.: Hi, I was moving my mouse to fast and accidentally deleted the Bluetooth icon from my taskbar. I am stuck trying to figure out how to restore it. According to "Select which icons appear on the toolbar" in settings, Bluetooth is set to on but the test also calls it windows...
  7. Bluetooth icon not showing in system tray/notification area?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth icon not showing in system tray/notification area?: I searched to see if anyone addresses this issue and didn't find a thread for my exact problem, pardon me if I missed it... I used to have a bluetooth icon showing in my system tray/notification area, which was a nice convenience. It disappeared within the past week or so,...
  8. Notification/system tray oddity Win10 1709

in Windows 10 Support
    Notification/system tray oddity Win10 1709: Not sure when it happened, but on SWMBO's laptop (identical to mine), if we click on the two small chevrons (>>) in the 'sys tray' (call me old-fashioned) it opens to show the entire contents of the desktop - all files/folders etc. This first came to light when the boss...
  9. Notification Area (System Tray) Icons Re-Arranging Themselves

in Windows 10 Support
    Notification Area (System Tray) Icons Re-Arranging Themselves: Hello, sometimes when I Shut Down & start up, or Restart, the computer, my Notification Area (System Tray) icons tend to re-arrange themselves slightly. I have to manage to re-arrange them the way to maximize my productivity for the computer. Is there some sort of temporary...
  10. How to change size of icons in system tray / notification area?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change size of icons in system tray / notification area?: Hi, I'd like to increase the size of icons in system tray / notification area of Windows 10. Is it possible to do this, maybe changing some registry values? Thank you in advance. 75515