Windows 10: Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time

Discus and support Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So for some reason, ever since the October update finally re-released (though I've HAD it since early October, maybe even longer) and patches have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GuyInDogSuit, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time

So for some reason, ever since the October update finally re-released (though I've HAD it since early October, maybe even longer) and patches have addressed most of the issues, I've been having issues logging in. My PIN is correct, and it doesn't give me an error message... that's not it. Instead of loading my desktop, I get a black screen. If I move my mouse, the cursor shows up. But that's it. I've waited, thinking it was still loading for whatever reason... Nope. I have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to choose the option to log out, then attempt to log back in, two more times, before the desktop finally loads, immediately on the third try, every time, without fail. Anyone else have this issue? Should I just do a clean install of Windows since it's essentially running a Frankenstein "Oct/Nov/Oct-retry" update?

:)

GuyInDogSuit, Dec 1, 2018

2. No icons on desktop after startup only

EagleEye,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried toggling the Desktop icons on and off?

• Right-click on an open area of the Desktop
    • Click: View
    • If Show Desktop icons is already checked, uncheck it.
    • Repeat the above steps a time or two.
    • Check: Show Desktop icons

Desktop Icons - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If no go on the above, right-click on the empty Desktop, and create a file.

Let us know if they come back on.

cottonball, Dec 1, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Login Crash Loop

Hi David,

• Which screen are you referring to?
    • Are you able to login to Desktop?
    • Are you able to see the login screen?

The power icon referred in the steps is present at the login screen. If you are able to see the login screen where you enter the password to go to Desktop, then you need to follow those steps. These steps to be followed if you are able to reach to
    login screen but unable to go to Desktop.

Please provide us more information related to the issue so that we can assist you further.

Rohit Siddegowda, Dec 1, 2018
  4. Arun B J Win User

Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time

Can't login to new computer w/Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

• Are you able to login to Microsoft Account on Web?

• Have you installed any language pack?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to select the appropriate language in login screen at the bottom right corner and check if it helps.

Steps 2: Use On-screen keyboard in the login screen to login and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Dec 1, 2018
Thema:

Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time

1. Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time - Similar Threads - Takes three tries

2. Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time: So for some reason, ever since the October update finally re-released (though I've HAD it since early October, maybe even longer) and patches have addressed most of the issues, I've been having issues logging in. My PIN is correct, and it doesn't give me an error message......
  3. Infinite loading screen that comes up before intended login screen every time I boot up my pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Infinite loading screen that comes up before intended login screen every time I boot up my pc: Note: tried to do what someone recommended in previous posts on command prompt but nothing came of it Basically I started getting this problem two days ago. Every time I started up my pc, it would boot normally until a black screen with an infinite loading cursor symbol...
  4. My computer is taking screenshots every time i press a key.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My computer is taking screenshots every time i press a key.: After I have reset the windows with the option of keeping my files, my computer is taking screenshots every time I press just about any key and send me a notification that the screenshot is saved to my one drive folder. This issue disappears sometimes. Sometimes it reappear....
  5. Having the desktop ready before login screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Having the desktop ready before login screen: Hello, first of all I apologize for my not perfect English. I try to explain anyway. I have some desktop computers (5). All of these have Windows 10 (latest build 1803) installed and are fully functional. In some of these, as soon as I turn them on, and before logging in...
  6. Excel file shows on every desktop

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel file shows on every desktop: No other program does this, but if I have an Excel 2003 document open, it will show on every virtual desktop (usually). This is especially odd since the window is showing and can be used, but there is not icon for it on the taskbar (unless you are on the "correct" desktop for...
  7. Right Click on Desktop Context Menu take a long time to show up

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Click on Desktop Context Menu take a long time to show up: Hello everyone, I have a strange problem where my PC would idle and take a long time for the Contextual Menu to show up when I Right Click on a blank space on the Desktop. It literally take about 10 - 15 seconds for the Menu to show up. After that it is fast again. Then...
  8. Login takes a long time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Login takes a long time: Hi, since the fresh installation of win10 after awhile login takes a long time. I created a new user and copied all my files to that account and the problem was solved but after 3-4 Weeks it gets slower and now it almost takes a minute to login into windows. Booting is...
  9. Windows 10 takes a LONG time to login

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes a LONG time to login: A couple weeks ago, my Windows 10 computer started taking a LONG time to login. The times have been going up and down, with a max of about 15.5 minutes, which happened today. Here's what I've tried to solve this issue: 1. Do a clean boot (no startup programs or services...
  10. Three versions of 'Desktop'?

in Windows 10 Support
    Three versions of 'Desktop'?: In the following screenshot I've shown the three versions of the entity called 'Desktop' on my PC. [img] On the left is the one I rarely see or use, I suppose you'd call it the 'classic' desktop, displayed when you use Win + M to minimise everything (or other routes),...