Windows 10: Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time

Discus and support Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So for some reason, ever since the October update finally re-released (though I've HAD it since early October, maybe even longer) and patches have... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by GuyInDogSuit, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time

So for some reason, ever since the October update finally re-released (though I've HAD it since early October, maybe even longer) and patches have addressed most of the issues, I've been having issues logging in. My PIN is correct, and it doesn't give me an error message... that's not it. Instead of loading my desktop, I get a black screen. If I move my mouse, the cursor shows up. But that's it. I've waited, thinking it was still loading for whatever reason... Nope. I have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to choose the option to log out, then attempt to log back in, two more times, before the desktop finally loads, immediately on the third try, every time, without fail. Anyone else have this issue? Should I just do a clean install of Windows since it's essentially running a Frankenstein "Oct/Nov/Oct-retry" update?

:)

GuyInDogSuit, Dec 1, 2018

2. No icons on desktop after startup only

EagleEye,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried toggling the Desktop icons on and off?

• Right-click on an open area of the Desktop
    • Click: View
    • If Show Desktop icons is already checked, uncheck it.
    • Repeat the above steps a time or two.
    • Check: Show Desktop icons

Desktop Icons - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If no go on the above, right-click on the empty Desktop, and create a file.

Let us know if they come back on.

cottonball, Dec 1, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Login Crash Loop

Hi David,

• Which screen are you referring to?
    • Are you able to login to Desktop?
    • Are you able to see the login screen?

The power icon referred in the steps is present at the login screen. If you are able to see the login screen where you enter the password to go to Desktop, then you need to follow those steps. These steps to be followed if you are able to reach to
    login screen but unable to go to Desktop.

Please provide us more information related to the issue so that we can assist you further.

Rohit Siddegowda, Dec 1, 2018
  4. Arun B J Win User

Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time

Can't login to new computer w/Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

• Are you able to login to Microsoft Account on Web?

• Have you installed any language pack?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to select the appropriate language in login screen at the bottom right corner and check if it helps.

Steps 2: Use On-screen keyboard in the login screen to login and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Dec 1, 2018
Thema:

Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time

1. Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time - Similar Threads - Takes three tries

2. Every time I try to delete a file, it takes forever.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Every time I try to delete a file, it takes forever.: Deleting even a single file from my downloads folder is taking forever. It takes about 1-3 mins to delete a file.If I choose multiple files 4 or more to be deleted, the file explorer stops responding...
  3. Every time I try to delete a file, it takes forever.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Every time I try to delete a file, it takes forever.: Deleting even a single file from my downloads folder is taking forever. It takes about 1-3 mins to delete a file.If I choose multiple files 4 or more to be deleted, the file explorer stops responding...
  4. On-Screen Numpad showing every time I login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On-Screen Numpad showing every time I login: Hello,I've had this issue for a while, even before I upgraded to windows 11, and finally wanted to try and get it fixed. Every time I go to enter my pin regardless of whether my laptop was shut down or put to sleep, an on-screen numpad pops up. On-screen keyboard is disabled...
  5. On-Screen Numpad showing every time I login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    On-Screen Numpad showing every time I login: Hello,I've had this issue for a while, even before I upgraded to windows 11, and finally wanted to try and get it fixed. Every time I go to enter my pin regardless of whether my laptop was shut down or put to sleep, an on-screen numpad pops up. On-screen keyboard is disabled...
  6. Win 10 login takes three minutes

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Win 10 login takes three minutes: First logon in the morning takes three every morning. I found this message in the event viewer: The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> took 225 seconds to handle the notification event Logon. What do I do next?...
  7. Login time takes longer than before after KB4540673 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Login time takes longer than before after KB4540673 update: Before I install KB4540673 update, every boot up all the way into desktop takes roughly 5 minutes. After I install the KB4540673 cumulative update, the boot up start as normal then when enter login it will keep loading and showing Welcome for 5 minutes bumping the time to...
  8. Three Login Screens Before Login - Windows 10 Enterprise

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Three Login Screens Before Login - Windows 10 Enterprise: Good afternoon all, I'm hoping you all can help me with an issue that I can't quite figure out. I'm the IT for a very small office network. We have two domain controllers and use Active Directory for accounts. All of our computers are Windows 10 Enterprise. Our domain...
  9. Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time

in Windows 10 Support
    Takes three tries to login before my desktop shows, every time: So for some reason, ever since the October update finally re-released (though I've HAD it since early October, maybe even longer) and patches have addressed most of the issues, I've been having issues logging in. My PIN is correct, and it doesn't give me an error message......
  10. Login takes a long time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Login takes a long time: Hi, since the fresh installation of win10 after awhile login takes a long time. I created a new user and copied all my files to that account and the problem was solved but after 3-4 Weeks it gets slower and now it almost takes a minute to login into windows. Booting is...