Windows 10: Taskbar and some software frozen but can right click on W10 pro

Discus and support Taskbar and some software frozen but can right click on W10 pro in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I am using an Asus U46SV with 512 gb SSD (crucial-since 2013), 8 gb ram. It came with W7 enterprise and now on W10 pro. Just few days ago I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mystvearn, Dec 14, 2017.

1. mystvearn Win User

Taskbar and some software frozen but can right click on W10 pro

Hi

I am using an Asus U46SV with 512 gb SSD (crucial-since 2013), 8 gb ram. It came with W7 enterprise and now on W10 pro. Just few days ago I noticed that the taskbar froze. Pressing the window button (keyboard) does not help. Left click on the windows button or the dropbox and otiher icons near the clock is not working. The status (dropbox update/whatsapp) has froze though the clock is still working. Whatsapp launches but freezes. If I right click on dropbox for example, I get a menu, but the menu won't disappear. I am able to manually close it via the right click task manager and end process there.

Windows+E still works and I can browse files and thats about it. Is my SSD dieing? I am making this thread on the laptop, so some of it is working. Desktop icons and icons in the taskbar can be left clicked.

Any ideas why my laptop is freezing in some places?

:)

mystvearn, Dec 14, 2017
  2. LeRetif Win User

Taskbar issue preventing computer to operate

Ok, unfortunately, problem remain unresolved : it has reappered quickly.

My main G751 have anew a problem : very frequently (90% or more), at first boot taskbar is not working (it could be seen if a not entry sign appear on the notification icon), a single reboot solve it.

More, on my GX620, which I didn't use after the reinstall of W10 (just install, 1 boot, seems to works, closed and nothing), taskbar is frozen (only notification icon appears on right and not working button for started, cortana, and change screen on right).
    Problem can only be W10.

What to do?

LeRetif, Dec 14, 2017
  3. Folders pinned to explorer on taskbar can no longer be opened with left click

Just did a clean install of W10 Pro X64 and have discovered that folders I have pinned to Explorer on the Taskbar can no longer be opened with left click. Have to use right click and then Open.

This did work normally before I did the clean install.

Tried in Safe Mode - no difference.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage]

Hairy Scot, Dec 14, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

Freezing is something that's hard to diagnose, and may result from a variety of different causes. Thus, for example, searching TenForums.com for "Windows 10 freezes" produces 278 hits. The thread named "Windows 10 freezes randomly" has 87 pages, to give you an idea of how common and vexing a symptom this can be. You'll want to do some reading among these threads to get a handle on what might be causing your symptoms.

If you want to check your SSD you can do so, but that may be unrelated to your freezing problem. First, you'll want to run chkdsk c: /r (assuming your SSD is the default boot/system drive, usually labeled C: ). This can take a long time to complete (10s of hours) if it finds lots of errors, so fire this off before you go to bed one night and see what's up in the morning. You should also check the drive's SMART data, which you can do using Crucial's Storage Executive software, a free download available from the company's support pages. Let us know if the health check turns up anything odd or out of the ordinary, and other forum members (myself included) can chime in to help you figure things out.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 14, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    If just the Taskbar is freezing but you can still navigate Windows, then it is not the standard Freezing issue.
    Try a Clean Boot. If this works then add one Startup item or Service at a time and reboot each time. When the taskbar starts freezing, you will know what program or service is causing the problem.
    You c an also Enable the Hidden Built in Administrator profile. Log out as you, and login as the Admin. Does the same behavior happen? If so, your User profile may be corrupted.

spunk, Dec 14, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    1) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) chkdsk /scan
    5) net user test /add
    6) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    7) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)
    8) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29876.how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-10.aspx
    9) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)
    10) sign on with the new user named test
    11) evaluate the task bar with the new user and in clean boot > report the results into the thread
    12) If the task bar works normally change to prior user and evaluate the task bar again > report the results into the thread
    13) change clean boot > normal boot and sign on with the new user test > evaluate the task bar > post the results into the thead

zbook, Dec 14, 2017
  7. mystvearn Win User
    Thanks all for the reply. This solution work, though not all of it. Options 2, 4, 5 did not work. The checkdisk only worked after restart. There was a windows update while restarting as well. Thanks again.

mystvearn, Dec 21, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

For all tests / steps please post images into the thread.
    If there are any problems posting images please use one drive or drop box share links.

Use the information in this link to find the chkdsk report and post the results into the thread:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

How many user options are there now?
    What happened with the net user test /add ?

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Taskbar and some software frozen but can right click on W10 pro - Similar Threads - Taskbar software frozen

2. right-click on taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    right-click on taskbar not working: Did a little googling but no joy. If I right-click on date or icons for the running programs nothing happens. When I right-click on an empty bit of taskbar it works fine. Thinking I need to do an in-place install but would rather not not totally sure if it's a good idea....
  3. right-click on taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    right-click on taskbar not working: Did a little googling but no joy. If I right-click on date or icons for the running programs nothing happens. When I right-click on an empty bit of taskbar it works fine. Thinking I need to do an in-place install but would rather not not totally sure if it's a good idea....
  4. right-click on taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can't right click taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't right click taskbar: Hi, today I started having a problem where I couldn't right-click on the task bar. I look up a solution that says to restart 'tiledatamodelsvc'. When I go to check, I notice that my system lacks this service and that even using PS Get-Service -Name 'tiledatamodelsvc' results...
  6. For some apps, taskbar right-click menu does nothing

For some apps, taskbar right-click menu does nothing: I'm not sure when this issue appeared, but it's been happening for at least a month. I hoped it would just go away on its own, but it hasn't and I can't find anyone else online with exactly the same issue, so I guess I'll post here. The bug is this: when I right-click on...
  7. Taskbar can’t right click

Taskbar can’t right click: I cant right click on my taskbar open speakers wifi or notifacation center how to fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-cant-right-click/831d39e3-4554-469b-9561-b7fa01a823b9
  8. Bluetooth + right click on taskbar?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth + right click on taskbar?: I got two problems: 1# I just connected a bluetooth device, I see it and paired it, but when I click it on it only tells me 'Remove device'. How do I get info (like encryption level, signal strength, etc, etc, etc?) 2# If I right click on an item in my taskbar I get this...
  9. Bluetooth + taskbar right click ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Bluetooth + taskbar right click ?: I got two problems: 1# I just connected a bluetooth device, I see it and paired it, but when I click it on it only tells me 'Remove device'. How do I get info (like encryption level, signal strength, etc, etc, etc?) 2# If I right click on an item in my taskbar I get this...
  10. Right Click Taskbar Menu

Right Click Taskbar Menu: Not sure if possible but can you add to this menu? 27413